Dash Cams.. DO NOT USE 64 GIG cards (1 Viewer)

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Bobby22, kindly read my posts again ... I've admitted I made a mistake several times. What more do you want ... sackcloth and ashes?

I've been where John is having organised several group buys on one of the bike forums I frequent. It's a lot of work for no profit and occasionally someone has problems - you just have to man up and deal with them as best you can.

Having considered this overnight, what bugs me most if I'm honest, is that the contents of a private conversation were selectively posted in open forum together with the re-poster's highlighting to support his incorrect inferences.

I'm quite happy to have my stupidity paraded in public if that's what it takes to prevent someone else from falling into the same trap but on all the other forums I frequent, posting contents of private conversations is considered bad manners and very much a no-no.

In the space of 2 hours I went from being an unknown newbie to a stupid, selfish, unreasonable, piss-taking ingrate who has single-handedly driven John to cease doing his good works with the dash cam orders.

Oh, the joys of the internet, eh?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if mentioned.. it may or may not be pertinent to the original post..

I bought a 64gb card for my Canon video camera from John Lewis and I couldn't get it to work on my desk top PC card reader.. Windows said it needed re formatting , which I did in the camera, but no matter what I tried it just wouldn't download onto the PC..

Puzzled, I looked on-line for a solution and discovered that some SD card readers won't read 64gb cards .. so I bought a Kingston USB to SD card adaptor and that solved the problem.. no more issues..

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for that, although it wouldn't have worked with the dodgy 64Gb cards I bought, I suspect. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Well I am impressed that Falcon has " Come out" after all he didn't have to. I have written/said things in my loooong life, that later wished that maybe I had handled in a different way.

Let's be honest chaps, there but for the grace..........

Falcon, forget the sackcloth and ashes, let's hope it can be put away now, and get back to fun!:)

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just a thought - when I tried to format certain SD cards on my old Windows XP computer, larger volume cards would fail. I tried using my wife's Windows 7 computer and it always worked ok.

Rob

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for that, although it wouldn't have worked with the dodgy 64Gb cards I bought, I suspect. :)
It seems it won't work with a good one either. I suspect the camera instructions don't mention it because 64gb cards weren't around when they were written.
It seems this is down to the difference between the older SDHC cards and the newer SDXC format. It seems some older operating systems, although they can read more than 32gb can't format more than 32gb without an upgrade, which this camera doesn't have it seems.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. To start with Falcon I used your words because I really needed to demonstrate WHY I made the decision I did..
I never once mentioned or in any way made reference to nor even inferred who sent the PM.
The only person who posted on an open forum who had the issue was you your self mate :( so you 'paraded' yourself and I very deliberately avoided mentioning any one

Read the first PM you sent me.. If you had received that would you not take it that you are, in not so many words, asking that the costs incurred be covered ?, then read ( and publish if you like ) my reply.

What your PM did was point out to me my own foolishness in that should anything go wrong there is no wriggle room for me at all..
I aint exactly a rich man and am not in any sort of fiscal position to 'just man up and deal with them as best you can'

I def have no personal issue with you at all Mike, and in fact thank you for bringing to my attention the short comings of what I have been doing.

I think the only way forward for me now is to say ok, I can get them for folk but please be aware the ONLY guarantee I can possibly offer is the one I get.. i.e. back to the manufacturer at the customers costs. If folk are happy with that then I am willing to carry on getting them

I actually no longer have a unit myself ( the reason I started all this off was to get one for me ! ) as someone had a faulty unit and I gave them my own ..
I have returned the duff one to the manufacturer who has already said no problem and they are sending a replacement, but of course there was obviously a cost involved...

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Morning Jaws, I think (hope) my order is in this next batch. If it is can you source the best card and stick it on the Bill with whatever else it costs to get it to Bordeaux. And I'm definitely not adverse to a
10% Bung ("that's for going" as my Dad used to say when I went for his Fags)

I want one Jaws! But what I really! really! want is a Senon LCD 550 5"colour monitor Sn 06M500414, cause mines packed up.:(
I tried to contact "Dave"about the Sennon but couldn't? is he a member here?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
2 things spring to mind ..one is what the f@@k is caveat emptor. ..?

When did this forum get that posh that this
became acceptable as a description for emptying toilets in the motorhome. ..
would love to offer some humerous pisstake on the inability of you being able to follow instructions mr falcon especially as I am the master in this area...

I'm sure you will sort it all out though....

And thanks to jaws for mine after reading the instructions mine work s fine..

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
On a similar theme, I've just loaded up the latest Garmin maps into my Sat Nav.
Half way through, it spat the dummy and said it needed an addition micro SD. Interestingly it specified an SD of at least 4Gig BUT NO MORE THAN 8 GIG.
So it would appear that sometimes, too much of a good thing is bad.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
2 things spring to mind ..one is what the f@@k is caveat emptor. ..?

When did this forum get that posh that this
became acceptable as a description for emptying toilets in the motorhome. ..
would love to offer some humerous pisstake on the inability of you being able to follow instructions mr falcon especially as I am the master in this area...

I'm sure you will sort it all out though....

And thanks to jaws for mine after reading the instructions mine work s fine..

Caveat emptor.
Something like "Let the buyer beware"?

The Legal Eagles or the Google addicts will be along soon to clarify.

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,
All I know is I got a great dash cam, at a great price with great service.
Thank you Jaws
Oh and bought a dodgy card, still the one from Tescos works fine, although I did have to turn off the inward camera.
Not a fault, didn't like looking at my awful driving habits
Steve

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
That was an interesting read! Reminded me of that old chinese whispers thing, lets get two & fourpence to go to the dance, or somthing like that.
Nice outcome though, hopefully jaws does'nt feel that his hard work for others is not appreciated, and falcon came out pretty well with his gutsy replies for his critics.
Its foggy here,better read another couple of threads :)

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Caveat Emptor explained

Young man, if perforce you purchase a horse
then of dealers like Paddy beware,
buy with eyes open, look carefully of course
or you may inherit more than your share.

We went to market at Appleby fair, ignored advice
cynics saying, ‘it might not be wise.
Bought a stallion for breeding while there
seventeen hands high and excessively wide.

With cash to hand we did not need a loan,
the ‘deal of the day,’ how we would pay
in hind-sight I wish we'd stayed home,
buying from the trader; why did we stay?

This horse I thought was not bad tempered,
I entered, he laid back his ears, “good,” they said,
"He's not spoiled or barn sour, sort of well rounded."
I approached, a shod hoof shot past my head.

"High Spirits," said Paddy, “It's near perfect,
nothing to fear, should have backed to the rear,
not a trace of a problem, not the least defect,
looks like a beauty that's perfectly clear.”

At this terrible time you can clearly see,
the whole concept was driving me crackers,
something must go, either Dobbin, or me.
The horsebox went to the 'knackers!

Here ends the sad tale of Dobbin the horse,
I'm hundreds of pounds out he's cat’s meat; that's fair
so reader, If perforce you purchase a horse
of dealers like Paddy beware.

- See more at: http://allpoetry.com/poem/7095761-Caveat-Emptor-by-Teddybard#sthash.DsbaNWIc.dpuf

An attempt to explain Caveat Emptor in English

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I'm glad Jaws has had a change of mind as I am well down the list and I am very glad that he is prepared to put himself out for mine and others benefit

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Currys seems to be consistently recommended 2Bob..

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think the only way forward for me now is to say ok, I can get them for folk but please be aware the ONLY guarantee I can possibly offer is the one I get.. i.e. back to the manufacturer at the customers costs. If folk are happy with that then I am willing to carry on getting them

And that makes me very happy to read, John. Thank you. :)

I accept that I could have kept my head down and none of the responders to your post would have had any idea it was me that had PM'ed you. However, the critics were obscuring the simple message that I had hoped would be sent out, which was don't do something daft like this chap who contacted me this evening.

As the group buy continues, I'd say there's an increased chance that a late-comer to the fold might make the same mistake as me, since the original threads on this go back weeks now. T'is neither your fault or mine that the manual is out-of-date / incomplete on this but at least folk now know about it as a result of this wordy exchange. ;)

And yes, caveat emptor, especially with SD card purchases from ebay.

(y)

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It actually says "SDHC 1Gb - 32Gb Class 6 and above".

Those more savvy than me about HD video devices might well understand that this means 'no larger than 32Gb" but I didn't realise that going larger would be an issue.

While I'm here, I'm pleased to report that my dash cam is now working perfectly with a 16Gb card bought this morning from Argos. :)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
There is a lesson to be learned here. I am sure we have all done favours such as bringing a box of red wine back for friends only to find that you did not buy the correct label. You are expected to suck up the loss and smile. Of course we don't bring booze back for friends, I merely use that as a typical example.
Bobby22, kindly read my posts again ... I've admitted I made a mistake several times. What more do you want ... sackcloth and ashes?

I've been where John is having organised several group buys on one of the bike forums I frequent. It's a lot of work for no profit and occasionally someone has problems - you just have to man up and deal with them as best you can.

Having considered this overnight, what bugs me most if I'm honest, is that the contents of a private conversation were selectively posted in open forum together with the re-poster's highlighting to support his incorrect inferences.

I'm quite happy to have my stupidity paraded in public if that's what it takes to prevent someone else from falling into the same trap but on all the other forums I frequent, posting contents of private conversations is considered bad manners and very much a no-no.

In the space of 2 hours I went from being an unknown newbie to a stupid, selfish, unreasonable, piss-taking ingrate who has single-handedly driven John to cease doing his good works with the dash cam orders.

Oh, the joys of the internet, eh?

Falcon, thanks for your reply.

Now that all hands are up we can get back to being FUN. But as your are now aware the piss taking will really start.

Respect.

Regards Bobby

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Jaws, I would be careful. Doing a favour for a friend is one thing but you are now doing this on a scale where you could and probably would be seen as a retailer. That you are not making any money is irrelevant. Shops can sell stuff at a loss but are still liable for the products.

You are therefore in danger of becoming liable in law for any defects or consequences of the camera being used. For example, if someone had a crash and was killed and your instructions don't warn the user not to operate the camera (i.e. touch the buttons) when the vehicle is in motion then you could be liable. The instructions may well say this but I hope you get my point. You have, perhaps inadvertently, become a retailer and you really should have insurance to cover product liability. My advice would be to pull the plug. The more you do the more the chance of something going pear-shaped.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Good point..

And just to cover my bum..

Anyone using a dashcam unit that I supply does so at their own risk.
I advise you do not use one at all in a moving vehicle.
I advise the unit is not connected to any power source
I further advise you do not attach it to any vehicle as it may damage the vehicle
In fact the unit should not even be carried in a vehicle in case it falls, causes a distraction and results in an accident

Anyone ignoring the above caveats and deciding to use a dashcam I supply for anything other than claiming ownership and admiring it at home must do so of their own volition and accept any consequences of using a unit are the responsibility of the user and not me or anyone connected to to me in any way

There ya go !

robarb38

Free Member
Mar 8, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
"since 1984"
Good point..

And just to cover my bum..

Anyone using a dashcam unit that I supply does so at their own risk.
I advise you do not use one at all in a moving vehicle.
I advise the unit is not connected to any power source
I further advise you do not attach it to any vehicle as it may damage the vehicle
In fact the unit should not even be carried in a vehicle in case it falls, causes a distraction and results in an accident

Anyone ignoring the above caveats and deciding to use a dashcam I supply for anything other than claiming ownership and admiring it at home must do so of their own volition and accept any consequences of using a unit are the responsibility of the user and not me or anyone connected to to me in any way

There ya go !
And don't even think about opening the package when it arrives.:rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back