Dash cams and Macs (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I dont understand a think you have said on these posts....I Am a DINOSAUR ......BUSBY:)

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Soooo, please explain in simples terms, with bullet points, step by step instructions and diagrams, how do I get to see the Jaws Dash Cam files on my macbook and iPad?

Thank you muchly,

Lorraine x

Bootneck

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Herts
Funster No
MH
Class2
Exp
8yrs
Jaws great bit of kit could you or anyone explain
1. Will it start video auto and if so what do you do
2. Where's the best position on windscreen as the cables do seem to get in way
3. I have set the menu to default is that correct?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Motorhome since 1997 Camping since 1990
I have shown below an email I sent to the Dashcam store that sell this product (R300) and their response:

"Hope you can help.

I purchased, along with many others, the R300 dashcam and am looking to use my Mac laptop to view and download the video whilst we are on our travels in our Motor home. This is a question that a number of people are asking on the Motorhomefun forum in the UK.

I realise that I can run Windows on my Mac (I am running Parallels) but wondered if there is a simpler way to view the videos created.

Many thanks for your anticipated help"

Response
"Thank you for contacting us about the software for your Mac. Unfortunately the DVR-R300 software as you have found does not function natively on a Mac, and at this time we do not have a better suggestion for you other than what you described (Windows on your Mac). We do apologize about that."

I hope that this helps others.

The following Youtube link will demonstrate how to add Windows to a Mac using a virtual drive. I used the search "add windows to mac using virtualbox". There are a number of other videos. You could also use Parallels which you would need to buy. Note Virtualbox software is free but you will need to obtain a copy of Windows 7/8 from whatever source in either case.

Add Windows to a Mac

Hope this helps

Colin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The way i see this is either buy a decent dashcam......roadhawk etc......or buy a decent laptop/tablet running a proper os....windows.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
In fairness... Jaws' dash cam is decent enough. Esp for the money. The roadhawk is certainly not over a hundred quid better.
Just leaves the OS as the problem:whistle:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Tried mine out for first time today not a bad little gimmick ,but not USB compliant is a bummer having to take card out each time and place in card reader (win 7 and XP)

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
The way i see this is either buy a decent dashcam......roadhawk etc......or buy a decent laptop/tablet running a proper os....windows.

I believe that for the money the dashcam is excellent and does the job that I purchased it for... Thanks Jaws. As for Apple all I would say is that once you have one it is very unlikely you would want to go back to Windows. The software updates are free and it is exceptionally rare to get any viruses or infections. You certainly can't say that about Microsoft Windows.

My laptop is light weight, fast and the battery exceeds anything I have seen on a windows laptop. I think that the major issue here is the software is NOT Mac compatible unlike most other software developed for all different platforms.

Colin

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I believe that for the money the dashcam is excellent and does the job that I purchased it for... Thanks Jaws. As for Apple all I would say is that once you have one it is very unlikely you would want to go back to Windows. The software updates are free and it is exceptionally rare to get any viruses or infections. You certainly can't say that about Microsoft Windows.

My laptop is light weight, fast and the battery exceeds anything I have seen on a windows laptop. I think that the major issue here is the software is NOT Mac compatible unlike most other software developed for all different platforms.

Colin
Colin I am looking at getting a Mac do you think the lap top is a good replacement for my windows desk top as we are away more than at home?

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
@Speve I certainly would recommend an Apple laptop. If you do find yourself needing windows in the future you can install windows onto an Apple machine using a virtual drive like Parallels however for most people this is not normally needed.

Choices between the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air are very much a personal choice dependant on what you intend to use it for and the weight of the machine you are comfortable with. I would always recommend buying the 256GB SSD as a minimum and the biggest RAM you can afford.

Good luck with your choices... you will not regret it.

Colin

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I have a dash cam and a Macintosh Air with the latest OS 10 software. If I remove the ad card and put it in a card reader in the Mac it will not be recognised but if I take the camera containing the card and plug it into the Mac it does work. Unfortunately I am unable to try to see if this happens on a PC.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back