Dash Cams and Insurance - whats the story (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Is there a reduction in rates for having a dashcam fitted or is it just for avoidance of doubt in case of an incident.
Have one ordered from Jaws mainly to catch our journey over the Alpine passes and SWMBO's face on the same when we go there in July - but if there is a potential insurance saving then I'm all ears - or eyes as the case may be :)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Well, we have just renewed with Safeguard and no reduction in premium for having a dash-cam.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Just had several insurance quotes -no company offering a reduction for having a dash cam but all stated in the event of an accident the dash cam film would speed up the legal remedies/claim resolution considerably so in my opinion it must be well worth it to invest in one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The courts can still be a bit dubious about dash cams. Just remember if you have an accident the video in the camera is evidence so it needs to be treated as such. This means don't try and copy it and ideally lock up the card somewhere secure. If the other side can suggest the video may have a been tampered with or has been left where someone else might have tampered with it - and they only need to raise a doubt, not prove it, then the video may not be accepted in court.

There have been several cases in the cycling world where courts refused even to look at footage taken from helmet mounted cameras for no obvious reasons at all. A well known cycling QC had to personally write to the Director of Public Prosecutions in order to get the police to act on something (driving related) for which he had video evidence.

However, I have no doubt a dashcam would be very good if you ever got caught in a crash for cash incident.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I would be very wary about any insurance that offered a discount ref a dash cam...It may have to meet certain criteria / specifications and then what happens if you forget to turn it on / use it and then have an accident... ?

By all means get one and use it, more for your own benefit and in the event of a bump keep the fact known to yourself unless needed to later back up any claims.. making people aware of it at the scene of an accident may change their reactions.. ie, suddenly they are limping or rolling on the floor etc.. I think you know what i mean.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another potential problem with dash cams and insurance is that you would still have to hand the footage over even if it showed that you were at fault.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Another potential problem with dash cams and insurance is that you would still have to hand the footage over even if it showed that you were at fault.

I think you can get those "very special" ones... When it's someone else at fault there is an SD card inside as your back up but just in case you bump, just maybe the card had been forgotten to put in.. :whistle:

On a serious note, in a major accident with injury I am sure a good copper, having spotted a dash cam would secure any footage.. (y)

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
The courts can still be a bit dubious about dash cams. Just remember if you have an accident the video in the camera is evidence so it needs to be treated as such. This means don't try and copy it and ideally lock up the card somewhere secure. If the other side can suggest the video may have a been tampered with or has been left where someone else might have tampered with it - and they only need to raise a doubt, not prove it, then the video may not be accepted in court.

It also has to be remembered that dash-cam evidence is merely corroboratory. Like any evidence, its value is down to the magistrates or the judge, but there is little that can challenge a good witness in the box. Video evidence is just a bonus. My son has a dash-cam fitted, which caught two "boy racers" who overtook him nose-to-tail at speed, when car No.1 thought it would be fun to brake hard, forcing No.2 to lock up and take evasive action by taking to the verge. He rang the local bobbies to report it. I wasn't expecting them to take any other action than maybe "having a word," but they viewed it and felt it was a straight-up case of dangerous driving. End result - the guy goes to court in July. (Though I don't really expect it to go to trial and he will very likely, if he has any sense, change his plea before then) I think the most important thing to remember about dash-cams is that any video can be used by either side in any court proceedings. Great pieces of kit mind!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I love them, but no reduction in insurance. I have them in all vehicles and the footage is good enough to edit together with footage from my HD video camera in my motorhome movies (don't show to friends if you want to keep them).

I have one of the Jaws type in my Landrover because it also films your passengers, however the video quality is not as high as the single HD cameras.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back