Dash cam (1 Viewer)

Ros leicester

Free Member
May 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Anyone know a dash cam that will fit between the windscreen and the blinds? Bought one mainly for security when parked but can't close blinds!

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
We use a mobius actioncam (designed originally for remote control airoplanes) with a detached/extended lens stuck to the screen through the gap at the top of the blinds. The main box then doesn't get in the way of the blind if that makes sense. Not for everyone as there's no screen so setup can take a while: https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/ but have used these on various MHs and cars for family members.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    446 KB · Views: 48
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I fitted mine at the bottom of the screen. There's a bit more space down there in front of the rail. The picture is upside down, but that's hardly going to matter. The dash drops away, so I can barely see it while I'm driving. Easier to get the cables there too.

Jun 25, 2016
Ynys Môn, UK
Funster No
MH
2016 Benimar 243
Exp
Since 2016
Bottom of the screen also, there is a function in settings to turn the image, so footage, when transferred to computer is the correct way up.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
We have a Garmin dash cam and it has a magnetic pad from which to fix it to the top of the windscreen. We remove it from the magnet when we pull the blinds together at night and it hangs from the short cable. It's a very good camera and proved very useful when I had to complain about a logging truck driving dangerously as it overtook me. It was a little embarrassing to hear me swearing like an old fish wife. I hadn't realised it recorded sound in the cab!

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I bought this one a couple of years ago, if fitted at the bottom of the windshield you can close the blinds without removing it.

Screenshot_20210511-090255_Amazon.jpg

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Personally I prefer the low profile devices. They tend to use an adhesive patch to stick to the screen rather than a suction cup. And I don't care about the billions of features and things like screen size or fancy apps. I try to put them out of my sight lines while driving and have the screen turn off after start-up. I just want it to be reliable and for it to be there if anything happens. Fit and hopefully forget.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Personally I prefer the low profile devices. They tend to use an adhesive patch to stick to the screen rather than a suction cup. And I don't care about the billions of features and things like screen size or fancy apps. I try to put them out of my sight lines while driving and have the screen turn off after start-up. I just want it to be reliable and for it to be there if anything happens. Fit and hopefully forget.
I try to do that but most need the card re-formatting regularly. Incidentally if anyone knows of a camera / card combination that records long-term without the need for re-formatting I'd be very interested.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I try to do that but most need the card re-formatting regularly. Incidentally if anyone knows of a camera / card combination that records long-term without the need for re-formatting I'd be very interested.
The last one I had was running for about 25k miles over 4 years. I only pulled footage off it once and it was working fine. It was a basic one by Aukey. Did have a SanDisk SD card in, maybe that makes a difference? There are SD cards that are especially for continuous use now that cost a few quid more.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The last one I had was running for about 25k miles over 4 years. I only pulled footage off it once and it was working fine. It was a basic one by Aukey. Did have a SanDisk SD card in, maybe that makes a difference? There are SD cards that are especially for continuous use now that cost a few quid more.
Thanks. I probably need to do some research as it was a few years ago I last looked.

slowcoach65

Free Member
Jan 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
A
TOGUARD Dash Cam,WiFi Dashboard Camera,Stealth Full HD 1080P Dash Camera,170 Degree Wide Angle Lens, 2.45" IPS LCD,Car DVR Road Video Recorder, Loop Recording, HDR, Parking Monitor
by potato EU
Learn more: Amazon product ASIN B01M9DG2A0
Fitted at the bottom of the windscreen.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We use a mobius actioncam (designed originally for remote control airoplanes) with a detached/extended lens stuck to the screen through the gap at the top of the blinds. The main box then doesn't get in the way of the blind if that makes sense. Not for everyone as there's no screen so setup can take a while: https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/ but have used these on various MHs and cars for family members.
What make and speed class sd card do you use with the mobius?

Bought ours in 2014 and it worked OK in the van for a few years until I upgraded to the nextbase 312.

The mobius is now on my motorcycle and it's recordings are very hit and miss, I bought a sandisk class 4 card as I read somewhere the class 4 is better, that didn't solve the issues so now I'm trying a kingston class 10. Can't remember what card it had in originally 🤔

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Richard n Ann I'm sure it's a class 10, it's in the MH right now but I'll try and check for sure later. I know I bought the fastest I could buy at the time. I've had ours in the van for a good 5 years now without any issues. I have a few spare that I've tried new firmware with but they're not as reliable :-( That's why I've bought a cheap £20 dashcam from Amazon for the car until I get time to fix them, though I may give up as they're getting harder to keep going and you can buy cheap ones now-a-days.

The battery can go as well, there is a capacitor battery available but I've not had a lpt of luck with them.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Richard n Ann I'm sure it's a class 10, it's in the MH right now but I'll try and check for sure later. I know I bought the fastest I could buy at the time. I've had ours in the van for a good 5 years now without any issues. I have a few spare that I've tried new firmware with but they're not as reliable :-( That's why I've bought a cheap £20 dashcam from Amazon for the car until I get time to fix them, though I may give up as they're getting harder to keep going and you can buy cheap ones now-a-days.

The battery can go as well, there is a capacitor battery available but I've not had a lpt of luck with them.
Yes I remember I did the capacitor upgrade as the original battery cooked in the sun 🙄

I looked at new cameras for the bike handlebars but they'd look too big, the mobius is tiny and hardly noticed 👌

Just had the camera running in the house with the 16gb kingston card, it's filled up after nearly 2 hours and then started recording over the oldest 🤞😊

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: I2C

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Richard n Ann - just checked, the one in the van is a Kingston class 4, it's the newest ones in the workshop/office that have class 10. I do like the mobius cameras, nice and small and the video quality is good too, much better than what I have (temporarily) in the car. Good to see that you have yours working for over 2 hours now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back