Dash Cam (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
Looking at buying a new dashcam as specs so much better than mine bought over 7 years ago.

Currently looking at the Nextbase range which all seem to have the new mount using magnets to hold camera onto its base which I guess is held to the screen by an adhesive pad, please correct me if I am wrong.
Will that piece attached to the screen stop my Remis blinds from closing properly?
Difficult to see the gap so wondered if any funster has successfully fitted one to a Ducato PVC of 2019 vintage?

Is the Nextbase range any good?

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
I've just fitted the 522GW to my moho. Appears to do the business. If you're interested in one, Nextbase are doing a deal: 522GW+32GB SD card+hardwire kit all for £120 (free postage). Search for Nextbase 522GW Red Bundle.

Edit: Sorry, didn't answer your question about the blinds: I don't know, we've got curtains.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I have a Nextbase and the problem I have is that they say the micro SD card should be reformatted every 2 weeks and this just seems wrong to me. Have they changed?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
I have a Nextbase and the problem I have is that they say the micro SD card should be reformatted every 2 weeks and this just seems wrong to me. Have they changed?
Yes, there is something about that. I've read elsewhere that some people don't bother, to no adverse affect. But, what's a fortnight when it comes to a dash cam? 14 hours of use? 28? I've had mine for a fortnight and have been nowhere; do I need to re-format?
Time will tell.

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I've recently aquired a Nextbase 522, and in the user manual it suggests formatting the SD card every two weeks.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Yes, there is something about that. I've read elsewhere that some people don't bother, to no adverse affect. But, what's a fortnight when it comes to a dash cam? 14 hours of use? 28? I've had mine for a fortnight and have been nowhere; do I need to re-format?
Time will tell.
Actually I have tried it and am quite often missing data. When I go back to Nextbase their stock answer is, "have you reformatted it"

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
the Remis blinds, at least mine, have an inset sliding part to allow for a mirror but I have to remove my camera when closing the blind. There are pads mad to fit onto the dash that the camera sucker can be fastened to, unfortunately they do not work on a Renault dash.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had a Next base 412GW right pile of poo, it was OK for year then started missing times during the day. Tried seval different cards in it and reformatting daily.
I've gone back to a KB.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
boxtraveller
Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
If you do a search on dash cams there is a lot of posts about reformatting the card and why it is considered necessary by some at least

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Have a look at BlackVue.
They fit very close to the screen so your blinds should be OK.
Also, because of the close fit it cuts out the shaking/vibration from the mount that I found was awful on the two NextBase cams I tried.

Richard.

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2020
NW - UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since Aug 20
Sorry for what will be only a half useful answer but I have a Nextbase dash cam (sorry don’t model at the moment) fitted to my 2010 Boxer with Remis blinds.
My dash cam isn’t a magnetic mount one it’s on a ball joint type mount. I couldn’t find any mounting position that would allow me to fully close my blinds so I ended up finding a position whereby to close my blinds I have to push the cam so it is flush with the windscreen. Obviously I then have to pull it back away from the screen again before driving off.

Basically on my older model (without a magnetic mount) the mount does get in the way of the blinds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I have a Garmin dashcam (don’t know model) which has a magnetic pad stuck to the glass. When closing the blinds I have to pull the camera off the magnet and let it dangle by the short cable. It’s no problem to put it back on because it finds its own resting place on the magnet and is always perfectly lined up for recording the view. So, it’s not fiddly to operate.
I also rate the Garmin because it has a time lapse recording mode.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
My Nextbase dash cam is mounted on top of the dashboard, clear of the blinds. There is a feature that allows you to invert the image.

It's mounted fairly close to the inner side of the speedo binacle. In this position you can run a 12v power cable, via the speedo housing, to the Fiat fuse box for a permanent supply (triggered by turning on the ignition). My vehicle is LHD.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The rear view mirror got knocked off the windscreen in our X250 Ducato which has consequential benefits.:whistle2: (y)
1614511423116.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
boxtraveller
Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
Decided to try fixing it on top of the dash, will be neat and unobtrusive and easier to hard wire I think
Rear view mirror still fitted as it is screen for reversing cam.
Thanks for the replies, very helpful as always.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Decided to try fixing it on top of the dash, will be neat and unobtrusive and easier to hard wire I think
Rear view mirror still fitted as it is screen for reversing cam.
Thanks for the replies, very helpful as always.
We tried mounting on the dash on our ducato but the resulting image is poor due to the vibration of the dash. I think I remember that we did a mod, but it’s been so long since I used the van that I will have to go and look in the morning!

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We tried mounting on the dash on our ducato but the resulting image is poor due to the vibration of the dash. I think I remember that we did a mod, but it’s been so long since I used the van that I will have to go and look in the morning!
Hi boxtraveller , I have been to look at our mount. My husband did create a mount from perspex that was affixed in existing screw holes of the remis nlind, however, the Nextbase camera still would not fold enough to close the blinds. As you can see, we can just fit a french toll tag in the gap.
We have gone back to a flat mount which is stuck to dashboard, but it does vibrate!
ABBC6E2D-8A3A-4F6D-A45D-2452B72C8105.jpeg
409AF2C9-C2B3-4379-83EA-3F4C643F58B3.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
boxtraveller
Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
i boxtraveller , I have been to look at our mount. My husband did create a mount from perspex that was affixed in existing screw holes of the remis nlind, however, the Nextbase camera still would not fold enough to close the blinds. As you can see, we can just fit a french toll tag in the gap.
We have gone back to a flat mount which is stuck to dashboard, but it does vibrate!

Many thanks for going and looking for me, doesn't seem to be much alternative so will try it there and see how bad the vibration is on playback.
Did notice today though that the guys who fitted the blinds made a cut out for the rearview camera so will ask them if it can be extended.
Thanks again Riverbankannie

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back