DASH CAM/SD CARD ??CORRUPTION HELP (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
All,
The play-back of video footage from my dash cam on a PC has suddenly gone bolo. Rhythmical yellow flashes across the screen, badly broken images, followed by the PC giving an error message about not being able to play the clip.

Could this be corruption of the card? Similar to a boot-section error on a PC's HD? It wasn't a proprietary brand name card - got it off the net and was supposed to be Class 10. (Buy cheap, buy twice?).

The curious thing is, it's only the clips at the start or end of the files listed. The ones in the middle can be viewed ok with MS Media Player. Can even view the bad files using Real Player (Avec yellow flashes!).

Have re-formatted the card in the dash cam, but get the same result. In addition, the cam packed up altogether whilst coming down the M1 yesterday and displayed a card error on the screen.

What further checks can I do?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would try another card. If it's the same as my camera, blank cards are reformatted by the software on the unit. Whilst you would lose film on the other card, using a new one would overcome a faulty card.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
My eprance 0801 cam recommends using a class 6 card , I've read something about the the class 10 not being appropriate . if you have access to a class 6 , give it a try .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks both @GJH and @colinw. It's an ePrance mirror type cam. Has worked faultlessly until I bought this new card. Will try a new card around Class 6 then. I got a Class 10 because I seem to remember something on Techmoan about him preferring C10 because of the speed.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We run dash cams in all our vehicles - we find a card generally only lasts about 12 months before they degrade

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I have seen similar problems with random clips not being read. try running it through Any Video Converter (AVC). Use the free version you can download from web at first to see if it helps. You can get a lot of problems with dash cams and their codecs on windows as most record in MOV which is a Mac format. Use AVC to output it to mpeg2.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Tesco do scandisk 16GB cards for about £10. You can get them cheaper online, but easier to take back to Messrs T E Stockwell and COhen, aka TESCO if it goes belly up - and you kept the receipt of course!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back