Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
evening all

we have had a Jaws Cam for a couple of years now, it has decided it doesn't want to play anymore, will not turn on, no issue there, had 2 years active service for £26 seems fair, would have liked longer

so I popped on to ebay and bought the cheapest that popped up, a nasty Chinese thing that is on its way straight to the bin, or I will keep it and anybody seeing this, ask me when we meet, you can have it

so what should I buy ??

needs to be

totally intuitive, idiot proof etc etc

and ideally not preprogrammed in Chinese o_O

out of the box, onto the dash and working, that's what I need, I can provide my own data card (y) and fit it :LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mio appear to be very well thought of, small and neat with GPS built in no separate aerial.
There is a HD 720p one for about £55 and a 1020p for £125.
I have the Jaws one although it works OK a bit dissapoited with it only being VGA it won't resolve number plates where as HD cams will.
I will be getting a Mio for the new van.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
These work well, just fit and forget... should even be DavidG proof!!!

IMG_0478.GIF

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I bought one of these just before Christmas, very happy with it. Paid £79, but may be cheaper now as it's after Christmas.

Straightforward to set up and download onto computer or phone/tablet wirelessly too. And I liked the price.

Has the advantage that as standard it has cables to plug into 12 V socket or USB, or you can buy the hard wiring kit. The advantage to me is that I just put it into whatever vehicle I'm using at the time.

Broken Link Removed
Nextbase 312GW Dash Cam.

Footage shot with it (edited to add music etc but you get an idea of the clarity etc) as below:

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I bought a couple of the jaws dash cams (plus various others) but after watching a YouTube video I bought a Nextbase 402G. I am very happy with this unit and look forward to uploading odd (some would say strange) segments in my travels with Hélène the Hymer this year.

It costs a little more but has all the features I need (want).

Clive

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Also have nextbase 402g very happy with it love the gps and map on google

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got this one David
Just plug it in and and off you go

Gets 4 stars on Amazon and 700 reviews

LANKA Full HD 1080P Car Vehicle HD Dash Camera DVR Cam Recorder (Blue) Amazon product ASIN B019YX889I

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Had one of those and after a few days it burnt itself out-managed to get a refund off the supplier-they didn't want the burnt out one back so must see some that aren't ok.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Had one of those and after a few days it burnt itself out-managed to get a refund off the supplier-they didn't want the burnt out one back so must see some that aren't ok.

are you referring to the Lanka that Robert has mentioned?

as I like low prices that was my favourite so far :)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

Yes I bought it through groupon but the same camera -looked ok to start with although the internal battery wasn't that good. I used it in the car but as i said only lasted 2 days -driving to pick my wife up i could smell smoke, nothing strong -assumed as I had revered out of the drive with the heater blower on I had drawn in some exhaust smoke -,only realised a few mins later it was the dash cam starting to frazzle. Quick unplug and that was the end of the camera. I was going to take it apart to check the insides etc but it was a totally sealed unit . Had no issues with obtaining a refund.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Gets good reviews and for that price can't go wrong but no GPS which is a nice feature to have.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Gets good reviews and for that price can't go wrong but no GPS which is a nice feature to have.
Depends what you want the dash cam for. I think (stressing the word think, not know!) that if you want to rely on footage for evidence it has to have certain "stamps", such as date, time, and gps co-ordinates.

Someone may be along who actually knows though!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I've just been checking the cards on the two I've got...
See photo...
I particularly like the little dragonfly one... it's been wotking trouble free for a few year's. ..
The next Base one I've had for about 9 months... it also has been trouble free so far..
20170129_104038.jpg

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
s-l140.jpg

My grand-daughter bought one of these from E bay for around £15, no sd card which Isupplied, I was impressed with the fact it clips to the rear view mirror and effectively replaces it . The camera is on the front side of the mirror and protruded beyond the existing mirror. Saves cluttering up the window with a suction mounted one and would allow my vans front screens to close if I had one. The wiring was long enough to be tucked away around the roof lining and then down the door frame and into the cig lighter.
But cant vouch for the quality but my grand-daughter was impressed with hers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back