Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
Are there any LEGAL wild camping spots on Dartmoor or Exmoor?

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
I dont think there are any official/legal spots - but there are parking/picnic areas that I know and often use on Exmoor that dont restrict overnighting via official notices...so just a bit of common sense and respect for the location and enjoy (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I think that there is a National Parks by-law against it other than things like tents used by walkers like ten tors challenge etc.

There are park rangers who will move you on.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I parked up here Broken Link Removed overnight, few years ago now though. Had no problems and had beautiful walk with the dogs.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Extract from Dartmoor bylaws:-

6 Camping
(1) No person shall knowingly use any vehicle, including a caravan or any structure other than a tent for the purpose of camping on the access land or land set out for the use or parking of vehicles except on any area which may be set apart and indicated by notice as a place where such camping is permitted.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Naturally the permitted places are official campsites where you have to pay!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I dont think there are any official/legal spots - but there are parking/picnic areas that I know and often use on Exmoor that dont restrict overnighting via official notices...so just a bit of common sense and respect for the location and enjoy (y)
And the more people do that, in deliberate contravention of the bye laws, the more likely it is that barriers will restrict daytime parking as well as camping.
Common sense and respect means obeying the bye laws. That includes making sure what they are in advance, not using an excuse that there was no notice visible.

OP
OP
Aminthule

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
It's such a shame that motorhomes/caravans are effectively excluded from the moors and the only sites that the NP info. lists are off the moors, forcing motorhomes to commute up onto the moor and clog up the roads. Makes little sense to me, but so be it.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
It's such a shame that motorhomes/caravans are effectively excluded from the moors and the only sites that the NP info. lists are off the moors, forcing motorhomes to commute up onto the moor and clog up the roads. Makes little sense to me, but so be it.

Sorry, I may have misunderstood ... there seem to be plenty of sites that do MH's ... this one for example -

http://www.westermill.com/

or this one?

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/devon/tavistock/tavistock

Last edited:
Reactions: GJH

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
Plume of Feathers pub at Princetown have a camping area at the back which is used by a lot of walkers/team building/military groups and would probably allow MH on their car park. Beer and food is good also!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Who forces motorhome/caravan owners to do anything? The park authorities try to encourage everyone to use public transport in the parks to avoid clogging up the roads.

Unrestricted camping in our national parks would soon spoil them for everyone, not just motorhomers and caravanners, just as it would in the rest of the country. That was recognised in the 1930s and 1950s when the legislation we have in place was drafted - and when there was far less indiscriminate camping than there would be now.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Who forces motorhome/caravan owners to do anything? The park authorities try to encourage everyone to use public transport in the parks to avoid clogging up the roads.

Unrestricted camping in our national parks would soon spoil them for everyone, not just motorhomers and caravanners, just as it would in the rest of the country. That was recognised in the 1930s and 1950s when the legislation we have in place was drafted - and when there was far less indiscriminate camping than there would be now.
Absolutely. !!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Nearly broke rule 1 with my intended response to this post. ..

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
I accept what some have responded, but I would still argue that should a responsible motorhomer decide to stop overnight for one night in an area put aside for parking, does not set up awnings, tables and leaves wildlife undisturbed then that could be acceptable. I don't think that this would result in the location becoming anunofficial campsite.
I have often wild camped on Exmoor, Dartmoor and also on National Trust sites and as a "thank-you" before I depart I often scavenge the immediate area to litter pick from those that have picnicd before and left their rubbish behind.
If I recieve a "knock-on-the-door" then I would move on graciously accepting the request (Probably get drummed out of the C&CC now lol)

Last edited:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I would still argue that should a responsible motorhomer decide to stop overnight for one night in an area put aside for parking, does not set up awnings, tables and leaves wildlife undisturbed then that could be acceptable. I don't think that this would result in the location becoming anunofficial campsite.
I have often wild camped on Exmoor, Dartmoor and also on National Trust sites and as a "thank-you" before I depart I often scavenge the immediate area to litter pick from those that have picnicd before and left their rubbish behind.
If I recieve a "knock-on-the-door" then I would move on graciously accepting the request r.
Unfortunately not all motorhomers wildcamping are like yourselves that's why the rules are in place . ...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I accept what some have responded, but I would still argue that should a responsible motorhomer decide to stop overnight for one night in an area put aside for parking, does not set up awnings, tables and leaves wildlife undisturbed then that could be acceptable. I don't think that this would result in the location becoming anunofficial campsite.
If I recieve a "knock-on-the-door" then I would move on graciously accepting the request (Probably get drummed out of the C&CC now lol)
Unfortunately not all motorhomers wildcamping are like yourselves that's why the rules are in place . ...
Also, if people see one doing it then it encourages them to do it; the very reason why legislation was brought in all those years ago.#

The other aspect is disturbance of nocturnal fauna which can occur when people camp in their territory.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017

I hear what you're saying and that works - if you haven't had a drink and if you are the only one. What happens when the 2nd, 3rd and twenty third motor home decides to stop there that night?

OP
OP
Aminthule

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
Thanks VanMan, but it's sites up on the moor that I was really trying to find.

MotorhomeMart

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Dartmoor
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano i684g
Exp
From 2005 -2011 and 2018 -
I live on Dartmoor, and yes it is strictly prohibited to overnight in the public car parks. However, many of the pubs will allow you to stay over night. The Fox and Hounds at Sourton has a campsite and direct walking access to the moors.

Feb 18, 2014
Ilfracombe, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
The Highwayman at Sourton will allow overnighting in the car park if you have a few drinks. Check out their website, very unusual pub.

MotorhomeMart

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Dartmoor
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano i684g
Exp
From 2005 -2011 and 2018 -
Hey MHM, is it true NT has put parking metres in some of the
laybys?
I understand that they are planning to put parking charges in to several of the bigger car parks, I have heard Haytor Rocks and Meldon reservoir mentioned, but I am not sure if they are in place yet.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Plume of Feathers pub at Princetown have a camping area at the back which is used by a lot of walkers/team building/military groups and would probably allow MH on their car park. Beer and food is good also!
I know it's a dated post, but without the promp I wouldn't have headed to the pub, sooooooo......

Sat in the Plume of Feathers car park now and the weather is side ways, but its toasty warm and cosy inside.

Four pints of local ale and a lambs liver and bacon supper later, I dont care what the weathers doing and I'm off to bed, nun nights :)..........

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have PARKED at lots of stops overnight on both moors and Bodmin moor
Not camped molland is a favourite never been asked to move on.
Did have a jobsworth ranger a while back suggest a campsite was "down the road" told him not camping but tired and resting . No problem says he.
Be sensible (y)
And the Plume , recommended.?
IMG_20190928_224305_191.JPG

Like Lazarus init! ?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread