Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I appreciate that there have been a few posts regarding the changing of the Dartford tolls in Essex/Kent. Just wanted to post small glitch I found on the system that could cost you money if you do not spot it.
If you already have the Dartford Tag you will receive a change over code to the new system that goes live on the 30th November. Using the web you register using your account number and the given code. During the new registration process you then log in the vehicle/s you wish to have on the account by registration numbers. Having placed the numbers into the system you search for the vehicle details, in the case of a car it finds your make and model and gives it a class B classification, thus you would only pay £1.67. Placing in the registration of the MH the vehicle search then in my case shows a Fiat Ducato but the system does not recognise it as a motorhome and registered the vehicle as a class C. Thus a commercial vehicle and you will be charged a commercial vehicle rate when using the crossing. Motorhomes are still to be charged at a motor vehicle rate of £1.67. You cannot change the class on the Web and you will need to contact the Dart Tag office on the telephone number shown. They then register the vehicles for you. In essence for motorhome registration you need to use the telephone to register and make sure they show the vehicle as class B.
Went on a bit didn't I Hope this helps

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Costs £2.50, worth registering the vehicle and put a few quid on the account and you save that amount

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes - it is very easy to change from class C to class B for a motorhome provided that it is registered as such. Otherwise it can be a little more difficult

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've just opened an account and paid the £10
Now I guess I'll have to phone them to sort the correct class

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I only get 0800 free on my mobile and that is recent. I doubt they are free on my landline.

EDIT 10.6p on Virgin landlines

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
After searching EE community it seems 0300 are charged as part of inclusive minutes so effectively free for me too as I have unlimited

"Welcome to the community and thank you for your post.

0300 and 0303 numbers are charged as calls to regular landline numbers therefore if you receive unlimited landline calls per month these should be free."

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I got on to them and first time the man said Tough it is class C DVLA says so. End of story, Went back later with a copy of the charges sheet in my hand to refer to. No cannot change it it is C,, no I said anyway a long phone call later and all details passed he said it will go to a special Adjudicator, who will contact me in some days in the future and give a result but They seem to go on base chassis (private HGV) and the motorhome bit refers to CAMPER VANS.. I have wasted over an hour on the phone, so it would be cheaper to have accepted the higher rate. It might even go an appeal if I push it,
I will of course do that, principal of the whole thing.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I can see future problems on this for MH owners who do not open an account. The camera system is going to pick up the reg number as you use the crossing, the owner would have paid the £2.50 on line thinking they have paid the correct rate for MH(as stated in all the literature MH are charged at car rate) but the number plate recognition system is going to see a commercial vehicle and this is charged at higher rate, according to the Dartford crossing site fines will be issued if the correct rate is not paid as required. So MH owners are likely to be fined and they are going to have to appeal the £70 ticket with all the hassle that will cause. I think the message needs to get out there to get registered somehow.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I agree and did so, the problem is their source of information putting our vehicles in the wrong class

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Just registered ours, it didn't recognise it and asked me to fill in the class myself, result I thought won't have to waste time ringing them, then put in my ford fiesta van which it recognised but put it in c class!!!! must be the smallest HGV in the country! so i'll still have to ring them:mad:

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Bloody great, after i'd put all my name, address and vehicle details in I clicked on next and it sent be back to the first page to start all over again:mad:

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
From the gov site-

Class
Car - Including trailers, motorhomes, vans and buses with less than 9 seats
2 axle heavy goods vehicles (including vans)
Multi axle goods vehicles

I've just checked and my Fiesta van has got less than 9 seats so think that it should in the B class(y)

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
The dart charge office is in LEEDS I'll go fill him in if he don't comply :LOL:

I may take up your offer Andy.:LOL:
On my second attempt got my address etc in put in first vehicle then the site froze!!
Think i'll try again tomorrow.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Stupid website! It won't even accept my address as King's Lynn has special characters and that's on their own "find address" tab. No option to input it yourself without the apostrophe. I've sent feedback pointing this out as well as the category anomaly.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Looking to contact moderator to see if this thread could remain at the top under the gas poisoning post. I can see many owners getting caught out over the coming months especially from Spring onwards. From my experience with tickets once issued they are a nightmare to cancelled, once issued they just want the money and the fees just get bigger. If you ever get one from the congestion charge they just seize your vehilce

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
I must be getting old coz all of this is right over my head. For the couple of times a year that I would consider this route, I've decided I'm just going to plan to go round the bottom of the M25, perhaps this is what they want.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I must be getting old coz all of this is right over my head. For the couple of times a year that I would consider this route, I've decided I'm just going to plan to go round the bottom of the M25, perhaps this is what they want.
That option is not really viable for a good many folk.. They cannot use either Blackwall, Rotherhythe or indeed Woolwich as all are within the LEZ.. so my son for instance would have no option but to go from Norfolk, then right round the M25 anti-clockwise to make it to the southern side of the Thames

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
The dart charge office is in LEEDS I'll go fill him in if he don't comply :LOL:
Slightly better than Dehli I suppose, but sounds about as helpful.

What about Essex jobs for Essex boys and girls!!

I think it's the same crew who extract the Congestion charge from us, using the same technology. I still don't know what they are going to do with foreign registrations, are they really going to chase some Latvian or Bulgaian for £2.50

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
That option is not really viable for a good many folk.. They cannot use either Blackwall, Rotherhythe or indeed Woolwich as all are within the LEZ.. so my son for instance would have no option but to go from Norfolk, then right round the M25 anti-clockwise to make it to the southern side of the Thames

I understand that Jaws. I was just talking about me and I suppose others from the West Midlands and North West. I just think that for us, occasional users, it's not really user friendly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back