Dartford crossing price rise (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
But do not forget it is FREE between 22.00 hours and 06.00 and free to motorbikes all the time.

I use it all the time.. I agree the congestion is due to the toll booths. But the jams tend to be in the last mile before the bridge.. drop off at the A13 turn off under the A13 and slip back down the side of the M25 head towards the services stay in the main flow and you go to the big roundabout just before the tunnel approach.... on to the roundabout exit up the ramp and join the M25 at the very last point.. left lane is a continuation lane... stay in it as when you get over the bridge on the Kent side there are more lanes to the left for truck than the right side... I use the wide load lane and I am not held up very long... pain cutting back across to the M25 proper before the A2 exits (Dartford) and A2 proper... but with care you can do it.

Bob

Thats fine if you are reasonably well versed in local roads , junctions etc ,then yes . However , no one should have to plan a journey like its a military operation , just to avoid delays crossing a bridge.

Have crossed the bridge and used the tunnel say half a dozen times this year , to and from Dover .When we have travelled and reached the bridge or tunnel between say mid morning and 7.00pm , its invariably traffic at a standstill with the congestion. Then having to pay to endure the congestion ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thats fine if you are reasonably well versed in local roads , junctions etc ,then yes . However , no one should have to plan a journey like its a military operation , just to avoid delays crossing a bridge.

Have crossed the bridge and used the tunnel say half a dozen times this year , [HI]to and from Dover[/HI] .When we have travelled and reached the bridge or tunnel between say mid morning and 7.00pm , its invariably traffic at a standstill with the congestion. Then having to pay to endure the congestion ?

Enjoy the delights of Scotland, Wales and northern England and there is no need to go anywhere near Dover :thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Enjoy the delights of Scotland, Wales and northern England and there is no need to go anywhere near Dover :thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:

This is our " try Europe year " Graham :Smile:. Maybe next year we will hit the UK roads again . Have to say though , the lure of Europe trips (so far) is gaining a lead in our preferences for MH trips .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
if you want to go at peak times

Have crossed the bridge and used the tunnel say half a dozen times this year , to and from Dover .When we have travelled and reached the bridge or tunnel between say mid morning and 7.00pm , its invariably traffic at a standstill with the congestion. Then having to pay to endure the congestion ?

It is like booking a ferry.. or a flight in school holidays.. PEAK times .. if you travel between 10 p.m and 6 a.m. it is free.. no hold ups at all.. use it all the time living in Kent.

The slipping down the side via the service route is a wide road and can be seen from the motor way... but still people - especially in european motor homes:winky: just sit in the traffic jam and burn of there expensive diesel.

I just sail down the parallel road and re join the road right at the bottom of the ramp that goes over the river... as I say stay if the two left lanes and you will pass all those in the auto toll lanes (for cars) and others that do not seem to be able to read the road layout.

Better than tracking all the way across to the Blackwall Tunnel (which is often shut at nights for long on going refurbishment ... and has it's own congestion in any case ..... As for going round the M25 via Heathrow... well what can you say... even bigger chance of getting stuck.. between M40 / Heathrow / and the M3 .. all the way to the A3 can be a solid jam... dread to think how much fuel you would burn off sitting in that lot.

Just a bit of planning.. which most people do say if they are going to France and you can work around the issues.

Bob

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
It is like booking a ferry.. or a flight in school holidays.. PEAK times .. if you travel between 10 p.m and 6 a.m. it is free.. no hold ups at all.. use it all the time living in Kent.

The slipping down the side via the service route is a wide road and can be seen from the motor way... but still people - especially in european motor homes:winky: just sit in the traffic jam and burn of there expensive diesel.

I just sail down the parallel road and re join the road right at the bottom of the ramp that goes over the river... as I say stay if the two left lanes and you will pass all those in the auto toll lanes (for cars) and others that do not seem to be able to read the road layout.

Better than tracking all the way across to the Blackwall Tunnel (which is often shut at nights for long on going refurbishment ... and has it's own congestion in any case ..... As for going round the M25 via Heathrow... well what can you say... even bigger chance of getting stuck.. between M40 / Heathrow / and the M3 .. all the way to the A3 can be a solid jam... [HI]dread to think how much fuel you would burn off sitting in that lot[/HI].

Just a bit of planning.. which most people do say if they are going to France and you can work around the issues.

Bob

A lot less than having to drive to Eddie Van Bitz and others to spend £13k to bring it up to the standard of a Eurovan.... :winky:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
This is the main point isn't it? It's the same with the Tyne Tunnel and Humber Bridge, the toll is a lot less than the fuel cost of using an alternative route.

Neither the Tyne Tunnel or The Humber Bridge are part of a city bypass system the Dartford crossing is and as such should be free.

I don't have to pay to bypass any city in Spain, France, Holland, Belgium, Germany, or even in the rest of Britain, so why should I have to pay to bypass London.

The M25 is incomplete it finishes at the crossing and starts again on the other side, so you have to pay to bridge that gap. In my view it's a complete con.

Pete:Cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
The M25 is incomplete it finishes at the crossing and starts again on the other side, so you have to pay to bridge that gap. In my view it's a complete con.

One could have said the same about the A19 before the first Tyne Tunnel was built :Smile: The M25 in its entirety was/is a solution to moving traffic more effectively, and the same is true of the Tyne Tunnel and Humber Bridge :Smile:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
One could have said the same about the A19 before the first Tyne Tunnel was built :Smile: The M25 in its entirety was/is a solution to moving traffic more effectively, and the same is true of the Tyne Tunnel and Humber Bridge :Smile:

At the risk of being pedantic, when I bypass Newcastle/Gateshead I don't go anywhere near the Tyne tunnel or the A19. The A1 is the bypass off choice and I don't have to pay for that.

The Humber Bridge was conceived as the crossing for the M11 extension which was intended to be the East coast link between London and the North East. The new motorway was planned but then scrapped after the bridge had already been built, and the money was spent on improving the A1 instead.

The Humber Bridge doesn't really go anywhere and is only of use to anyone living in North Lincolnshire or East Yorkshire i.e Grimsby or Hull.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
You are right the M25 is incomplete. The approach to the Tunnel is actually the A282 and not the M25. The M25 for some reason Stops before both crossings. You can use the Dartford Crossing either way as a learner driver - not sure why!

Sonja

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
At the risk of being pedantic, when I bypass Newcastle/Gateshead I don't go anywhere near the Tyne tunnel or the A19. The A1 is the bypass off choice and I don't have to pay for that.(snip)

For us it depends which way we are going after Newcastle. If we are going to Hexham or Galloway, say, we would use the A1 past Teams/Gateshead but if we were going to the Northumberland coast or Edinburgh we would use the tunnel and pick up the A1 further north. There may be a charge to use the tunnel but we save money on fuel as well as time.

Edit: we found the Humber Bridge useful when going to/from Saltfleet last month as we were coming from/going to East Yorks.

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We ignore the Dartford crossing now, and always drive round the south western part of the M25 when travelling to and from Dover. Slightly more miles but a lot less hassle and fewer queues.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back