Dartford account - is it just me? (1 Viewer)

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Excuse my ignorance but how do I go any further with my application to start an account for the Dartford Crossing payment.

I filled in the form, see below with my details obscured, but can't see anywhere to click to complete the payment scheme.

Is it just me or is there something missing from the page?

Or could you point me in the direction of a thread on this topic?

Dartford 1.jpg

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
I had similar and had to do it a second time. The web site is creaky. Also if you prefer automatic top-ups, you have to pay them £20 up front, which is steep if you are only an occasional user. Having gone through the Dartford tunnel a couple of days ago, the whole think stinks. Took me 20 minutes and the only thing saved so far is winding the window down and throwing a couple of coins in the hopper. With traffic and/or queuing, the signs are severely lacking, and that's even when I was expecting it. They will make a mint out of the exorbitant penalties.

Check your motorhome class. My reg wasn't recognised, so at least I could enter it as car class, but many are automatically assigned a more expensive class.

There is no email acknowledgement indicating your payment and outstanding balance. There should be an email when you go below £10, but I didn't even get that. Crap system all round.

Dave

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I would do two things Roryboys......

Firstly. Make sure that you are on the correct site. Know this may sound daft to you, but type the site into the URL box. Beware of some searches that may be a phishing site.

Secondly, just phone them! May be a wait, but they will advise/take details on the phone.

Hop this helps?
James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I had similar and had to do it a second time. The web site is creaky. Also if you prefer automatic top-ups, you have to pay them £20 up front, which is steep if you are only an occasional user. Having gone through the Dartford tunnel a couple of days ago, the whole think stinks. Took me 20 minutes and the only thing saved so far is winding the window down and throwing a couple of coins in the hopper. With traffic and/or queuing, the signs are severely lacking, and that's even when I was expecting it. They will make a mint out of the exorbitant penalties.

Check your motorhome class. My reg wasn't recognised, so at least I could enter it as car class, but many are automatically assigned a more expensive class.

There is no email acknowledgement indicating your payment and outstanding balance. There should be an email when you go below £10, but I didn't even get that. Crap system all round.

Dave
I had no trouble but simply transferred the existing dart tag account across. It was in fact easier as I could register all of our vehicles on the single account. Whilst the roadworks are ongoing there are delays northbound as the toll lanes are still in use, but southbound with four lanes, no queues at all even southbound on a friday afternoon (last week)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Its all a bloody con, this toll business.

Minimum £10 balance on the account?

Imagine how much income they generate from interest alone on millions of account holders' money:xangry:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Its all a bloody con, this toll business.

Minimum £10 balance on the account?

Imagine how much income they generate from interest alone on millions of account holders' money:xangry:

I might have paid £10 up front but the crossing charge is only £1.67 a time for paying up front instead of £2 which it was previously, I won't worry too much about the interest they are getting out of my tenner which I would think is a lot less than the saving I am making.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Quite agree Chris, and who is getting all the profits generated from that? The French I guess as its run by SANEF who operate a lot of the Peages in France.

So I would also assume the British Government don't get any tax revenues either.
So we the British tax paying motorists lose out again, no change there then!

I don't suppose for a minute that they will fund another crossing from the profits!!!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
So being from oop norf and wanting to escape this over taxed, over priced, over full island of ours do I have to register before I escape? I will at the moment cross it twice a year perhaps, how does that work please?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I might have paid £10 up front but the crossing charge is only £1.67 a time for paying up front instead of £2 which it was previously, I won't worry too much about the interest they are getting out of my tenner which I would think is a lot less than the saving I am making.

Its more than £10 up front though isn't it?

As I understand it you start with £10, but as soon as you cross once another £10 is taken from your account until you get below £10 and then another £10 is taken.

I might be wrong about that though.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

As I understand it you start with £10, but as soon as you cross once another £10 is taken from your account until you get below £10 and then another £10 is taken.

:xeek::xeek::xeek:

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

I haven't had another £10 taken, my account shows the top up method as manual, its only if you set top up to automatic that they take another £10, when you balance goes below£10. This is from the website=

"You must remember to add funds to your account yourself when your balance is low.

When your account goes below £10.00 email notification will be sent to remind you to topup. If account balance goes below zero, you will have 24 hours to add funds after that account will be closed and you may receive a penalty charge if you use the crossing and don't pay."

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Chris, just changed my post a bit having got more information, I seem to have altered to text size somehow and can't change it back but I am sure you will get the drift. Interestingly, I didn't get the email they say they would sent when you go below£10 but i am not bothered about that, I know how may times I cross so can just keep an eye on the account.

OP
OP
Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Many thanks for your helpful replies.

I've rung them up and apparently, according to the pleasant young lady, the 'site' freezes sometimes and all details are not passed through correctly.

Most details when I set up the account went through – but not my Credit card details.

Now after talking to her an initial credit of £10 is in my account and I can cross for £1.67 each time until the ten pounds is used up and then the system will automatically add another £10 to my account.

Wot a bl**dy palaver but at least it's cheaper than it was!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Its great that you get a 33% discount for opening an account.

It would have been even better had they not hiked the fee up by 50p at the same time:xdoh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup, a tenner deposited.. and auto top up .. registered all the vehicles on the same account so its all really quite easy so far :)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Forgot.. I will proly use it a total of four times a year.. Two outward journeys and two coming back..
Quite happy about the tenner deposit to be honest as it probably costs me a gallon in diesel every time I have had to queue for an hour to get across, and as mentioned, already the south bound side is free flowing so all good

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
So being from oop norf and wanting to escape this over taxed, over priced, over full island of ours do I have to register before I escape? I will at the moment cross it twice a year perhaps, how does that work please?
Bump.

So before I cross I have to register?

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Many thanks for your helpful replies.

I've rung them up and apparently, according to the pleasant young lady, the 'site' freezes sometimes and all details are not passed through correctly.

Most details when I set up the account went through – but not my Credit card details.

Now after talking to her an initial credit of £10 is in my account and I can cross for £1.67 each time until the ten pounds is used up and then the system will automatically add another £10 to my account.

Wot a bl**dy palaver but at least it's cheaper than it was!

No, if you have selected automatic top-up it adds a minimum of £10 as soon as you go below a minimum of £10, so if I'd done that they would be sitting on £18.33 of my money for months.

Dave

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Bump.

Not sure being from the frozen north myself..... I think you can pay by phone or in one of the "numerous" retail outlets that will take your money. Not sure how you pay by phone when you have a basic PAYG as I do.... I know I can't pay car park fees with my phone.

As I will use the crossing about once each way every three years I might just time it for when there are no charges.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bump.

Well I was a bit apprehensive about all this but if you are not going to use it very often it's simple , just go to their website , don't know it off hand but put dart ford in Google and it's there, put your reg number in , it then tells you how much you are charged for each crossing , put the right amount of money in and bobs your uncle , either pay before you go or within a day of useing it.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well I was a bit apprehensive about all this but if you are not going to use it very often it's simple , just go to their website , don't know it off hand but put dart ford in Google and it's there, put your reg number in , it then tells you how much you are charged for each crossing , put the right amount of money in and bobs your uncle , either pay before you go or within a day of useing it.
Still seems like a lot of messing about but hey that's progress for you ................ or not :xdoh:

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
I am putting the registration number ( on retention) into my account and up comes the vehicle details of my old car before it went on retention in August 2014.

How up to date is there system

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Its great that you get a 33% discount for opening an account.

It would have been even better had they not hiked the fee up by 50p at the same time:xdoh:

They were talking of selling it to reduce the budget deficit,which wasn't going down well. Osborne increased the charge by 50p to help with the deficit. I assume this 50p is the same.

Quite agree Chris, and who is getting all the profits generated from that? The French I guess as its run by SANEF who operate a lot of the Peages in France.

So I would also assume the British Government don't get any tax revenues either.
So we the British tax paying motorists lose out again, no change there then!

I don't suppose for a minute that they will fund another crossing from the profits!!!

The government through the highways agency gets the profit as whoever is running it does so under a management contract with the highways agency. They also had to widen various parts of the M25 as part of the contract.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

If it wasn't for my sister it would have been fun for my Mum and Dad then - no computer and no mobile phone!

Dad said they would have to whistle for their money as he had no means of paying it. He stopped at services (goodness knows where) and they couldn't do it for him he said. He was willing to go to court about it on disability and age discrimination grounds :)

My sister has paid it for them on the QT.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Okay - I know nothing about the Dartford Tunnel/Crossing. Set my sat nav (which is supposed to warn me of tolls) set out and it took me to Dartford Crossing - expected to have to pay, but the barrier just lifted when I got there. Whats going on?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Okay - I know nothing about the Dartford Tunnel/Crossing. Set my sat nav (which is supposed to warn me of tolls) set out and it took me to Dartford Crossing - expected to have to pay, but the barrier just lifted when I got there. Whats going on?
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong - but if you went through during the times when charges apply you will have to go on line and pay or you will get a penalty notice.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong - but if you went through during the times when charges apply you will have to go on line and pay or you will get a penalty notice.
That's what I said , when we came through how do foreign drivers go on, if they know nothing about it , the signs are only in English, so presumably they get away without paying

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back