Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
NOTIFICATION OF LOW DART CHARGE ACCOUNT BALANCE

On 15/ 09/ 2017 your Dart Charge account balance is £9.02, which is below the minimum account balance threshold.

If you have Auto Top-Up enabled please ignore this email as we will take the funds automatically, otherwise you need to top-up your account. The easiest way to do this is on our website at www.gov.uk/dart-charge where you can also add Auto Top-Up to your account.

Please note that if your account balance goes below £0.00 it will be suspended and you will not be able to use your account to pay for further crossings. You will therefore not benefit from a discount.

Yours sincerely,

Just received this email this morning saying I need to top up as I only have £9 credit.

Previously I have put £10 on and run it down to a couple of pound, we only use it twice a year. It is now saying the minimum account credit is £10.

Do I need to top up again?

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I don't think so. The £10 minimum is the trigger for the automatic top up. If you're not on auto, you can top up when you like.

I'm on auto (because I'm highly likely to overlook topping up!) and I don't get messages like yours.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You don't have to.

What they're saying is that it's getting low and if you forget, let it run out and get a penalty don't complain to them because you've been warned (y)

I've got mine on auto top up so it's one less thing to think about.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
annoys me that the auto top up is so high most of the time they hold on average 15pounds but like nic its one less thing to worry about

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I guess it's more designed for people that live locally and are using it daily than people who might use it a couple of times a year on their way to and from a ferry or something.

Just thinking off the top of my head the £10 trigger could also be to make sure there's some leeway for you still to make a few crossings if the payment fails for whatever reason.

If they let it go too low it's conceivable that you could cross without realising the payment had failed, not have enough in your account to pay it and get a penalty.

It saves them having to deal with arguments about whose fault it is in that sort of situation.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I guess it's more designed for people that live locally and are using it daily than people who might use it a couple of times a year on their way to and from a ferry or something.

Just thinking off the top of my head the £10 trigger could also be to make sure there's some leeway for you still to make a few crossings if the payment fails for whatever reason.

If they let it go too low it's conceivable that you could cross without realising the payment had failed, not have enough in your account to pay it and get a penalty.

It saves them having to deal with arguments about whose fault it is in that sort of situation.
A local wouldn't be using it when they have 2 schemes, the dearest of which is £20/year for unlimited crossings

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had loads of reminders, but as we only come and go twice a year just ignored them, got down to £165 and topped up £10 this time we now have £9.98 in the account that will do us for a while.:LOL:

Waiting for our next lot of reminders. :rolleyes: :LOL: Bob.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A local wouldn't be using it when they have 2 schemes, the dearest of which is £20/year for unlimited crossings

OK someone who isn't a Thurrock or Dartford resident but still uses it every day.

Perhaps they live is Essex but work in Kent. (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
We had loads of reminders, but as we only come and go twice a year just ignored them, got down to £165 and topped up £10 this time we now have £9.98 in the account that will do us for a while.:LOL:

Waiting for our next lot of reminders. :rolleyes: :LOL: Bob.

I started with £11,66 from last year & after first payment it told me it was under £10 & used twice since but won't top up until next year now.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you don't use it often you still need to log in to your account periodically.

I'm sure there's something in their T&Cs that allows them to close inactive accounts after a certain period of time regardless of whether it's in credit or not. I seem to remember it happened to someone on here.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I opened my DART account in July and got a message every time someone crossed (I included my daughter, who was coming back from France, so she would only use one). I also got the "low amount" message plus I get a monthly "your account is ..." message.

I have no intention of lending them my money (even though it is a minuscule amount) and will top up as and when necessary. However, I am annoyed that 3 crossings has taken £5.01 (£1.67 each) so I'm left with £4.99 - not quite enough for 3 more!

Gordon

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We have a dart PAYG account, can't see any reason for having anything else. Heading towards Dover go over the bridge and they DD the charge. Coming home and it happens in reverse. Please explain to me the advantage of having an account with money lodge therein. :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have a dart PAYG account, can't see any reason for having anything else. Heading towards Dover go over the bridge and they DD the charge. Coming home and it happens in reverse. Please explain to me the advantage of having an account with money lodge therein. :)
Willing to be corrected, but I believe the charge is discounted if you have an account.
That said, ours is only a PAYG account, couldn't see the point in having an account that needed topping up.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
If you don't use it often you still need to log in to your account periodically.

I'm sure there's something in their T&Cs that allows them to close inactive accounts after a certain period of time regardless of whether it's in credit or not. I seem to remember it happened to someone on here.
Think it is 12 months.
I opened my DART account in July and got a message every time someone crossed (I included my daughter, who was coming back from France, so she would only use one). I also got the "low amount" message plus I get a monthly "your account is ..." message.

I have no intention of lending them my money (even though it is a minuscule amount) and will top up as and when necessary. However, I am annoyed that 3 crossings has taken £5.01 (£1.67 each) so I'm left with £4.99 - not quite enough for 3 more!

Gordon
Pay 2p in.lol:LOL:

You don't get the 33% discount
when I travel to the Uk I normally cross quite a fe times in one direction of other. This year was unusual in only being 3.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Thank you. If you get a decent discount and use it multiple times per year, then that's great other than that, you are lending them money. :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Think it is 12 months.
Pay 2p in.lol:LOL:

You don't get the 33% discount
when I travel to the Uk I normally cross quite a fe times in one direction of other. This year was unusual in only being 3.
The most we'd use it is probably 4 times a year (2 each way) so paying £2.50 as opposed to £1.63 is not an incentive. I can save more than that with fuel by trundling down and not speeding and staying on a Brit Stop. In last 10 years, I've only used it about 12 times and only 3 were chargeable because of the time of my crossing. I got my timing wrong this year coming back (going was in the free period) by less than 5 minutes..
Because I knew I could pay by midnight the following day, when I stopped I set up the account for DD. However, I got a letter from them asking for the £2.50 otherwise a penalty charge. I phoned and said I've set up an account.
They found it and said it was set up after the crossing. YES!!!! As your sign says. No problem but they hadn't taken it but was a pleasant call and they took the money after apologising.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Had an account for a while, just let it get down to a level where there's not enough money for 2 crossings (last low balance was £3.30) and then top it up by the minimum £10 - not sure how to do it by only £5 as mentioned by @icantremember, perhaps he'd be kind enough to explain.

Also get the reminders every now and then but just log in to check it's still okay (have to do so within 12 months anyway otherwise they close the account and you lose anything in it) but don't top up until I need to.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Had an account for a while, just let it get down to a level where there's not enough money for 2 crossings (last low balance was £3.30) and then top it up by the minimum £10 - not sure how to do it by only £5 as mentioned by @icantremember, perhaps he'd be kind enough to explain.
Mel, they must have changed their minimum top up payment, as previously, I have topped up by £3.00. I did this so as to activate the email reminder, when the account went below £10.00. Unfortunately, the minimum top up now appears to be £10.00. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Would be interested to know who is holding all this money and how much they are holding.

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Cheers for all the replies.
It will not be getting topped up yet. (or for a few years)
We will not be useing it again 'til next september if all goes to plan!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Also get the reminders every now and then but just log in to check it's still okay (have to do so within 12 months anyway otherwise they close the account and you lose anything in it) but don't top up until I need to.
We are up in the wilds of Fife without wifi or 4g so can't get into my account to check but have previously topped up with £5 and £7 .. maybe something has changed so will check when I can.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
maybe something has changed so will check when I can.
I tried again last night Brian, and it's a no goer for anything under a tenner. :(

I hope you and Joyce are enjoying "God's Country". (y)

Cheers,

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I tried again last night Brian, and it's a no goer for anything under a tenner. :(

I hope you and Joyce are enjoying "God's Country". (y)

Cheers,

Hi Jock, that's a pain with the crossing .. don't see why they should hold so much in the account so may close it soon.
We are at the small MHF meet near Cupar with great bunch of Funsters. I doubt you would be impressed with the parking on fresh stubble though!:rolleyes:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Here is something else to think about. I have my 2 sons on my account so no one has to faff around paying. BUT told them to advise me when using the crossing.
Having an account works fine for me so when off to France, no need to think about paying.
HOWEVER, son sold car, didn't think to tell me, why should he? New owner does 3 trips and I get email to say account under £0.00 (by 33p) and account will be shut and penalty if the 33p shortfall not paid by midnight.
I'm on holiday, call up my account and note I can pay (by midnight) and avoid penalty providing once payment taken at least £10 remains.
Pay £15, account resurrected, balance £14.67, deleted said vehicle, matter closed.

SO ! if you sell vehicle, remember to delete from your account else new owner is unable to pay as it is already registered and you get charged.
New owner must have thought super and stopped checking UNTIL penalty notice arrives as I had deleted from my account and the onus is on them.
THe same may happen to you if you cannot pay, as it is already registered get previous owner to delete or check after every crossing.

You have to use account at least 1 per year else account gets closed and you forfeit funds.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I had a reminder as it hadn't been used for twelve months but they kept it open after a phone call. It still hasn't been used as I use Harwich more often than the bridge.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I had a reminder as it hadn't been used for twelve months but they kept it open after a phone call. It still hasn't been used as I use Harwich more often than the bridge.
... why not close it and get your money back then just open one again when you are going to need it?

Jul 9, 2013
Fareham
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Marlin 5
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have just checked my DART charge PAYG account and there is NOTHING on the account about having to sign in once every 12 months to keep the account active. So if they close the account and try to penalty charge me, they will be guilty of unfair practice for closing the account without notice and my agreement.
The only thing you have to remember is to update your bank details every time you get a new bank card.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back