Dangerous Rapido Oven (1 Viewer)

Pompey

Free Member
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido Lo Profile
Exp
We have a Rapido 7065FF (2014) which we love, except for the oven.

My wife enjoys cooking so an oven was an essential fitting. However, when it is being used the metal part of the oven/grill control becomes red hot. The handle on the cutlery drawer above the oven also gets red hot. Neither can be touched without an oven glove and my wife has burnt her hand twice.

A young child would be at serious risk of facial burns if they came into contact with these metal parts.

We have now stopped using the oven (we have a Remuska) and we are going to ask Rapido to replace it or fix it.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have a Rapido and use our oven all the time. It's obviously not the same as yours though, our cutlery drawer is below it.

As Rapido don't make ovens, it might be useful to let folks know what the make of the oven is and a picture might be useful too, as some of the problem seems to be it's positioning.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its not just the oven that's dangerous, according to another well know Rapido owner the winterisation leaves a lot to be desired :whistle:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I had a Hymer like that, so I put extra fire proof insulation on top of the oven.

I was later told, that to concentrate too much heat in the oven, could cause damage and affect the warranty ????

And there was me thinking that the better the insulation, the more efficient the oven!!!!!

:cooler:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The oven on ours is fine, use it all the time (2014 9090) I'll report back on the winterisation after the winter (y)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
On some of the smev ovens, there is a pull out metal shelf to protect the ceiling.
not a lot of people realise this

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
We have this on our hobby not always obvious it's there

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On some of the smev ovens, there is a pull out metal shelf to protect the ceiling.
not a lot of people realise this
That's exactly what I was just thinking too - our Smev grill has the slide out heat protection plate to help stuff above it from getting too hot, might be worth googling your make of oven and checking the spec for it.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Its worth bearing in mind that as a continental manufacturer Rapido rarely fit ovens as a standard fitment (at least they didn't once upon a time). Ovens fitted in UK market motorhomes are generally fitted by the supplying dealers and as Rapido didn't consider an oven in the original design it is almost always fitted in a poor position. First port of call is your supplying dealer, assuming you bought it new in UK of course.

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Our oven (which has Rapido written on it) does heat the cutlery draw above but not as bad as our previous van which was a Chausson, regarding winterization, ours if fine.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Regarding heating the unit/drawer above/around, this is normal and no different to using our home oven - the cupboards at either side get warm which is why you should never store food in them - check next time you use yours. If you are concerned there's no reason you couldn't add some more insulation so long as you can access the top of the oven safely.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Oven fine in our 966
winterisation the cab area is bloody cold in the winter in our Rapido.
next job diesel heater for the cab area.

Mel

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I must admit that although An oven was a, must have, on our list when researching what MH to buy, we hardly ever use it., but when we do it's fine.
A question I would ask though is, "when using the oven do you leave the outside vent on or off?"
When we bought our Rapido 7090 the dealer made a point of telling us to leave it off when using it. I presume if you leave it on it would buckle

OP
OP
Pompey

Pompey

Free Member
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido Lo Profile
Exp
I am visiting the dealer tomorrow and will be interested to hear what they intend to do about this problem

I will let you know.

(There is no pull out heat shield on the oven, which I believe is a Smev, badged as a Rapido)

OP
OP
Pompey

Pompey

Free Member
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido Lo Profile
Exp
Apparently Rapido are bringing out an updated cutlery drawer (without the metal handle) to resolve the problem.

I am embarrassed to say that the technician I was complaining to, reached into the oven and pulled out a metal heat shield. It was in the oven itself so that the door will not close when the grill is on. Hopefully this will stop the metal control knob getting too hot.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Our cutlery drawer also gets quite hot when using the Smev oven in our 985 Rapido

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I have to say, I pricked up my ears on reading this, our Pilote oven and grill decided to start melting the gas control knobs in the middle of the row between the grill and hob.

This seemed to be caused by the cooling fans somewhere at the back of the grill, when either is on the fans activate to prevent the hob becoming too hot to touch.

I couldn't just bend down to remove anything from either, I had to squat because the blast of red-hot air in my face was too painful.

We searched for a deflector concealed on it ourselves, I thought of that immediately cos I recalled MIL having to have one on her existing fire and cooker when they changed over to natural gas. We mentioned it to Mark who also looked, there isn't one.

We rang Hayes, Hayes spoke to Pilote, Pilote said the only thing it could be was malfunctioning fans. We were not convinced but anyway, they replaced them. We'd have to let them, and try it, to prove it wasn't that.

Guess what? - it was that! Cured. I imagine one of em wasn't working properly if at all thus concentrating all the heat in one place. The blown air is still pretty warm, but at least it's manageable now.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
100_3984.JPG

I too have got Rapido 7065ff 2013 Smiley face, and yes the cutlery drawer does get very hot but never hot enough to burn you, good idea though to change handle,
Winterisation no problems we have alde heating which is great and have been away in the coldest weather. we love the motor home

Drive

Free Member
Nov 15, 2014
Shrewley
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
2 years
We have a Rapido 891 df with same oven heat issues effecting the cutlery draw.

Another problem we have is with the igniter in the lower oven being out of adjustment,
Having tried many position adjustments, still can't get it to spark, the unit works if shorted out with screwdriver blade.

Looking for info on the actual correct gap dimension between the probe and the jets.

Regards

Drive

Jun 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Joined 2014
We have a Rapido 7065ff purchased from Brownhills in 2015 and have complained about the cutlery draw and knob getting red hot
Only recently after my grandchild nearly burnt themselves are they suggesting putting a deflector plate above the oven housing which I am not going to have it fitted if it spoils the look or dosnrT solve the problem
This has been going on for 18 months now and Brownhills say Rapido don't see it a problem
They design the van surely the oven is not fit for purpose
When I said to Brownhills this was a big problem they denied it
If anyone out there knows similar or friends get them to contact me as Rapido need to take some responsibility here health and safety etc but it's France dos the the law apply to France as well
Sorry to rant but I am hitting a brick wall

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
On some ovens we've had there's been a pull out plate already fitted but even with that they can still get hot, to be honest though it's no different to any oven at home as they get hot on the outside too and anything above that would also so whilst I agree it's not ideal I don't think you'll get anywhere at all with Rapido.

My only suggestion is to have a removable plate but you'd still need to keep the kids away from it as the plate would get hot - if you were at home would you let the kids near a hot oven?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we have the same problem with ours when the oven is used the handle above gets hot ,I blame the designer
that would be me then
the pull out sheild is only for the grill but as the grill barely gets hot its hardly needed

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just checked and I have the pull out plate!!! Comes out about 3/4 cm, enough when the grill is on to stop the knobs getting hot. You learn something new everyday :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back