Dampness project - Roof first (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DJL220
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks all looks like it's a 50/50 on the answers. I have both Sika 512 and W4 strip ready and waiting ?. Will try the strip first, however I really don't want to cover the rubber strip. Will see if I can curl it up at the back and trim the excess, if not then sika it will be.

OP
OP
DJL220
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
Happy to report that I fixed the rooflight in on Wednesday night and left covered up as I was away. Uncovered her late this afternoon just before the heavens opened and it poured with rain! Glad to report that the new rooflight and Sika 512 has done the job and sorted the leak. I did look at at all options for the sealant as per previous post, however I decided on balance that I do not plan on taking the roof light out in a hurry so Sika won.
Can finally see light at the end of the tunnel on the rear of the MH, just need to put the insulation, ceiling board, wall paper and refit the cupboards and the first phase will be complete.
Next job will be to rip down the front ceiling and replace this damage. Then fit new roof light and rest ?
All needs doing before the end of October so we can go away!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Happy to report that I fixed the rooflight in on Wednesday night and left covered up as I was away. Uncovered her late this afternoon just before the heavens opened and it poured with rain! Glad to report that the new rooflight and Sika 512 has done the job and sorted the leak. I did look at at all options for the sealant as per previous post, however I decided on balance that I do not plan on taking the roof light out in a hurry so Sika won.
Can finally see light at the end of the tunnel on the rear of the MH, just need to put the insulation, ceiling board, wall paper and refit the cupboards and the first phase will be complete.
Next job will be to rip down the front ceiling and replace this damage. Then fit new roof light and rest ?
All needs doing before the end of October so we can go away!

Oops. too late. ignore my recommendation :p

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I put my window back in using Sika... I get the feeling that will have been a bad idea if it ever has to come out again.. OOf.. live and learn I guess.

OP
OP
DJL220
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
So I have been busy working away in the MH in the evenings in between rain showers. Glad to report that the rear new skylight is keeping the water out so will be replacing the insulation and ceiling this weekend.
Spot of deja vu this week as I thought I would attack the front skylight and ceiling. The dampness around the smaller light was pretty similar to the rear!
Cracks on the corners with one side being the culprit to the leak. The ply was even worse than the back and just fell away upon touching. I thought the rooflight was loose, it turned out that the ply had de bonded from the sealant. I had to cut away the wood as this was mouldy and water logged. I managed to cut all the wood and bond this back in after cleaning the roof. (Pictures to follow). It's amazing how simple the structure is on these MH. As I knew what I was doing I have managed to cut out all of the damp, support the roof, reinstalled the supporting timber, remove skylight, fibreglass the crack, gel coat and fill the topside of the crack and fix in the new rooflight so much quicker than the rear ?
I have left Bessie with the heating on tonight with the dehumidifier running to extract the last of the moisture. Fingers crossed this weekend will see the majority of this project completed.

Will have two Heki skylights to sell for spare or repair too soon.

Nearly time to enjoy some rest and a week away!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DJL220
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
So this is what I was met with when i finally took down the ceiling at the front of the MH

DSC00872.JPG
DSC00873.JPG

DSC00876.JPG

The ceiling was wet and the supporting piece of wood was very pretty rotten!
DSC00879.JPG

After cutting away all of the rotten wood and replacing the current situation is looking much better, especially as I have solved the cracked corners and the leak. New sky light now fitted and temporary pieces of ply helping the install in the next picture

DSC00882.JPG

MH is currently resting (or I am :)) with the heating on and the dehumidifier running for the second night to remove the dampness.
DSC00885.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
DJL220
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
A good weekend of work and our MH is starting to feel and look solid again! The rear ceiling is all completed except the new wallpaper (still to be sourced). the construction is as near to the original as possible with a little more added aluminium to strengthen the ceiling. the picture below shows the stages insulation, aluminum and the ply top coat.

DSC00894.JPG

In the above image I came in this morning after some heavy rain and found some water on the floor under the roof vent. I almost sh*t myself as I thought the ceiling had sprung a leak!!!

Still trying to work out how the vent could let in water? The picture below shows the outside of the vent - any one have any ideas as to why it leaked - it has never done this before?

DSC00839.JPG

Same vent without the cover. Once I have found some new ones I think these are going to get replaced too!
DSC00844.JPG

DSC00899.JPG

The above picture is the same shot with the full plywood skin :)

I have even managed to start fitting the tv cupboard and the start of the next cupboard
DSC00900.JPG

A few more tidying bits at the back before I wallpaper and call this part complete!
I just need to repeat the above process at the front.

Well that's me done in and off to rest :sleep:

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
If the roof had been sagging in that area, could a puddle have formed and over topped the rim of the air vent? certainly looks like there's been water inside the base piece as it's dried up algae by the looks of it

OP
OP
DJL220
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
If the roof had been sagging in that area, could a puddle have formed and over topped the rim of the air vent? certainly looks like there's been water inside the base piece as it's dried up algae by the looks of it

That's a fair point, I was mid build yesterday and there is a chance that the roof may have dipped in that area. I will check tomorrow on the roof with a straight edge now that I have completed the inside - thanks HandyAndy (y)

Fingers crossed it's level otherwise I will have loads more work to do!

OP
OP
DJL220
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
So I have checked the roof today and there is a shallow dip in the middle across the whole roof along the entire length. I tested this with a straight edge and by throwing water on the roof. It doesn't pool in the middle so I think I will be alright. I must always remember to lift the front or back when in use and storage ?

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
When I replaced an old skylight on a fibreglass roof there was a slight tear that the new skylight wouldn't cover so I made & bonded a sheet of 2.5MM 'Saniclad over the hole, fitted the new skylight and painted the whole roof with Cromapol white paint.
Cromapol paint { on ebay } has fibres in the paint that spread across small holes a bit like a cobweb. Saniclad and Cromapol paint are great for caravan and motorhome water issues.
For 24MM thick insulation look at silver foil coated 'Celotex'. Easy to work with as it has tram guide lines marked out all over it which helps greatly when cutting.
Sealant:- Geobond, Fix-all, Sikaflex etc
Bond a skylight in with bedding tape and sealant after degreasing mating surfaces.

OP
OP
DJL220
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
So after many weeks of hard work, sweat and a few tears the roofing part of this project is completed. The eagle eyed out there will notice that the door on the right is missing, I still need the ceiling to be wallpapered and thought it was best to leave this off for now.

DSC00918.JPG

The ceiling now looks like the below picture and I can confirm that is is better than previously (not difficult due to the leak :D). Had someone round today to quote to wallpaper for use and really pleased with the quote (not keen on wallpapering).

DSC00913.JPG

Now for the sour note, I have checked the rear corners of the MH tonight with the damp meter and the readings are really high. I pulled back the cover to be see the back end is now falling apart! I checked the other corner and that is damp too...................................will this MH project never end? :oops2:

DSC00914.JPG

The next picture looks worse!

DSC00915.JPG

Well we are off traveling at the end of the month so this can wait for another day. Will need to check the outside to find out where the leak is coming from.
Anyone have any ideas at the rear of a MH?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Well done I would not have tackled a job like that. All power to your elbow son. May the motorhome god shine on you. So that you get everything done to go on your well earned holiday you certainly will need it.

OP
OP
DJL220
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
Well done I would not have tackled a job like that. All power to your elbow son. May the motorhome god shine on you. So that you get everything done to go on your well earned holiday you certainly will need it.
Thanks Vipar, I think it was the £10k labour repair bill quote that motivated me to do it myself! Will need to rest up before I tackle the next dampness project on the MH.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just caught up on this thread.... well done for having the guts to have a go, you’ve learned plenty to get to know your van.
the damp at the back couldn’t be the result of the roof water managing to get down the wall at the back could it..?

whatever the cause I’m sure you’ll get to the bottom of it and repair it better then new...

good luck and have a great holiday...???

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Well done, a fantastic job. Forgot about the back of the van for the moment. Enjoy the satisfaction and pleasure of your achievement and have a great holiday.

Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
Hi DJL
Fantastic job, well done I take my hats off to you ???

I hope the rest of the van dries out and all you have to do is a little cosmetic work

Enjoy your trip

(y)(y)(y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I know it's difficult at this time of year but can you go somewhere it is warm and dry? My thoughts are to give it all a chance to dry out then things might not turn out to be as bad as it looks at the moment.

But meanwhile very well done that man! There's no way I would or could have tackled that job.

Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Cheyenne 696SE
Exp
Great job DJL. The hardest part is having the courage to give it a go. Lots of sound advice on the forum and this thread will be another invaluable resource for others.

No doubt you will have that warm fuzzy feeling of satisfaction. Particularly at having beaten a £10k repair estimate!

As far as the back of the MH damp is concerned, doors, high level brake lights, seams are all the usual suspects.

Keep posting your updates!

OP
OP
DJL220
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
So I think I may have found my cause of leaks at the rear of the MH, however I will look for suggestions from the wider group to confirm.

In the pictures below would you expect to see a sealant or W4 strip in between to stop moisture or is this because the back end has started to fall apart? My personal thoughts are this should be sealed.

First pictures are n/s with the strip lifted out of the way.

DSC00986.JPG

DSC00985.JPG

and prior to the strip lifted

DSC00987.JPG

O/S looked like this: -

DSC00982.JPG

DSC00984.JPG

OP
OP
DJL220
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
Just to add insult to injury, after working on the MH and not moving her in 3-4 weeks the brakes were not keen to move. Also due to the amount of rain the gear shift had become very stiff and nearly impossible to put into 1st/2nd gear. Quick check of the forums and the gear change pivot removed and regrease and all is well with the shifting.
New issue found and that is rust under the scuttle area where the drain hose attaches (will these issues every end on this MH :cry:). The drain hose was held in by loads of mastic and the hose is split! Anyway she is booked in for some welding repair next week.

Where I can purchase a new scuttle drain hose as searching the internet I haven't found any for sale.

TIA

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Well done on sorting the roof out, it looks like you have done a good job. Sorry to see that you now have these other issues. Hope all goes well with them.
I hope I never have to do anything like that, but it's been very interesting to see what you've been doing.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Those seams will be a doddle for you, just clean them out and re-seal with sikaflex ...??

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Just to add insult to injury, after working on the MH and not moving her in 3-4 weeks the brakes were not keen to move. Also due to the amount of rain the gear shift had become very stiff and nearly impossible to put into 1st/2nd gear. Quick check of the forums and the gear change pivot removed and regrease and all is well with the shifting.
New issue found and that is rust under the scuttle area where the drain hose attaches (will these issues every end on this MH :cry:). The drain hose was held in by loads of mastic and the hose is split! Anyway she is booked in for some welding repair next week.

Where I can purchase a new scuttle drain hose as searching the internet I haven't found any for sale.

TIA
Tut Tut.. Park it in gear with the handbrake off when laid up for any length of time.
Chock the wheels with your ramps if you are not on a level surface..
I've seen people burn clutches out trying to unstick brakes :D
What size is the drain hose..
just input the hose inner or outer dims into google and see what comes up. Bound to be something available (unless it it some formed hose at all different angles.
In which case you could get it made bespoke by a silicon hose company that make hoses for car radiators and boost hoses etc.

OP
OP
DJL220
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
Tut Tut.. Park it in gear with the handbrake off when laid up for any length of time.
Chock the wheels with your ramps if you are not on a level surface..
I've seen people burn clutches out trying to unstick brakes :D
What size is the drain hose..
just input the hose inner or outer dims into google and see what comes up. Bound to be something available (unless it it some formed hose at all different angles.
In which case you could get it made bespoke by a silicon hose company that make hoses for car radiators and boost hoses etc.
The funny thing was I had left it in gear and the handbrake off
purely for that reason ::bigsmile: Lucky a quick first gear and then reverse broke the seal (as it where)

The hose is a formed/angled one which the previous owner had broken and then tried to seal it with silicone

OP
OP
DJL220
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
Those seams will be a doddle for you, just clean them out and re-seal with sikaflex ...??
There is no sealant to clear out, just rotten wood :crying1:
I guess as a temporary measure I could apply some sika until I can arrange a covered workspace to fix the next dampness issue.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
There is no sealant to clear out, just rotten wood :crying1:
I guess as a temporary measure I could apply some sika until I can arrange a covered workspace to fix the next dampness issue.
Which suggests that it wasn't properly sealed at the build stage. Very poor indeed. :(

If you fill the gaps with Sikaflex now, it will be a bu@@er to remove when you are ready to do the work, as it will have cured, and will need to be dug out. A lengthy task from my experience. :(
You might be better off using W4 mastic sealant tape, (I always carry a roll) which will be easier to remove/replace when you come to do the work.

You are doing a great job, and I wish you continued good luck with it. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
what a fantastic job youve done so far, i hope youre proud of yourself because you should be !!
how much do you think you have spent so far?

keep the photos and reports coming, i am sure it will help a few people out over the years. stick with it and - though i suspect when you finish (and you will !!) you will want to keep your project home for many years to come!

if you ever do want to sell or need a change, why not convert it into a narrow boat - i suspect water will never get in anywhere when youve finished lol !

best wishes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back