Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have been probing the roof as it felt cold and wet around the skylight, so I removed the surround and measured the wood frame of the roof panel itself and it reads 5% but the thin foam and cloth, of the headlining has bits off the clock 24% plus and yet in other places 5% I have a load of sealant and tape so I will reseal the whole thing but was wondering if it could just be condensation as the damp is a fair way from any openings. I have also got a bit of staining where dampness has marked the cloth, what would be the best way of moving that without water? I am selling the van and want to make sure there is no problems with leaks for the next owners and I am paranoid about water getting in causing rot in the wood frame . WHY is wood still used?.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Its surprising how much cdensation can be mistaken for damp. We thought we had it in our overcab bed but after 3 days of non stop rain and MH being parked up its dry again so was clearly condensation. Get some air flowing. Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I am selling the van and want to make sure there is no problems with leaks for the next owners and I am paranoid about water getting in causing rot in the wood frame .

I think it may well be a leak at the rooflight.. if you haven't been using it recently I doubt if it's condensation.. you only get that when you live in the van OR it has water ingress which also causes condensation..

To be certain of no problems for the buyer, remove the roof light and re-seal..
Tape or mastic around the edge is just a bodge and no guarantee it will stop the ingress.

If you don't want to DIY I would guess it will cost about £120 at a dealer (2hrs labour)

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Compass Calypso
Exp
Since 2007
Keep a few of the moisture traps dotted about under seats, in cupboard etc. My MH is pretty watertight but the moisture traps always manage to fill up a little after a few days away, moisture from breathing, gas cooker, condensation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Bought a new Hymer instead! Moisture traps a good idea though just breathing make a lot of moisture.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
ventilation, ventilation.. ventilation.. that is the secret to a dry van..

let the damp air out and fresh dry air in..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back