Damp (2 Viewers)

Macy0161

Free Member
Sep 6, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
Hi,

I'm a complete novice, looking to buy our first motorhome at the moment, and I've a newbie question.

We've found one that we love the layout off (the kids particularly smitten), but I spotted a couple of areas of damp (one below external damage, one below a window). In these area's, the walls are soft, with a bit of give if I push in my thumb.

Everything I've read appears to make this one to avoid. Is this definitely the case, or is damage DIY repairable? My initial thoughts would be if it's effecting the ply, the structure is probably goosed as well?

Our price range is bringing us to 12-13 year old bracket, are we expecting too much to get a damp free motorhome at that age or is it a reasonable expectation? We were thinking that it would be more cosmetic issues like updating the upholstery, style of wood/ decore, rather than structual issues that we would have to accept?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if it's been asked before - I couldn't find a search option!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are tens of thousands of completely dry motorhomes out there for sale, I would buy one of those and avoid one that is damp. If you are particularly smitten then get an expert to check it over but you should be aware that the rot can travel to different parts of the van and even small repairs can be extremely costly. Best of luck:thumb:

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Damp is the one problem that is likely to give you real heartache. It will spread and given that its as bad as you say, it is likley to have already spread to other areas of the van where you cant see it.

It can be repaired but a full survey would be required so that you are aware of the extent and therefore the cost. The two places on the van that you mention are normally the points where damp would start, below the windows.

I cant tell you what to do but, this could cost an awful lot of money and a load of grief.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I am no expert, still regarding myself as a novice.

Our motorhome is an old 1990 with no damp.

You should easily be able to obtain a well kept low mileage motorhome for the price you want to pay.

My personal opinion is avoid a motorhome that has damp and make sure you have both a habitation check and AA or RAC check carried out before buying.

CLS and other members on motorhome fun do such checks. There may be someone near you remember if you have it fully checked out first it could save you thousands in repair bills and there is less likely to be any nasty surprises xxxx

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Damp vans are nearly always able tp be repaired. However, rarely is it simple, often its expensive and uneconomical.

Much better with a dry van:thumb:

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I would avoid damp vans - at the end of the day, you are investing quite a bit of money....even on an old one. You would be better off investing £10 now, and buying yourself a damp meter. When looking around, check areas around windows, toilets and corners - particularly in cupboards and around the hab door.

What looks dry, may not be....I know a chap recently that upgraded from his old, but very low mileage and good conditioned E Regg talbot, to a newer model. It passed the damp test - because he had replaced the walls a week prior.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
heed previous advice.. :thumb:

the definition of damp is ... walk away !

there are plenty of oldish vans that are.. Drizabone :winky:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The problem with damp is that after a while it starts to smell musty.
The main problem is not the damp,but the dryrot that sets in after the water ingress has been cured,the damp is sealed in and cannot get out so dryrot sets in,this travels like a fire in a wind and in no time at all the framework disintergrates.
Framework on most MHs are softwood and of very poor quality,its not long before its unecanomical to repair and is destined to the scrapyard.
Always best to walk away from any damp van,regardless how cheap it is to buy,it will cost dearly in the long term.

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Our last van was a 1990 highwayman which we got at a good price because of damp. I initially repaired it by removing the interior ply lining in the kitchen area, drying it all out and replacing the ply then removing and resealing the joints between walls and roof. Three years later I had to reskin the entire coachbuilt body because of damp. The problem is that wood suffering from wet rot releases chemicals that eat through aluminium and I had not spotted the tiny pinholes in the skin so it just stayed damp and rotted the frame away in the rear left hand quarter of the van. During the reskin I replaced all the rotted timber structure with aluminium 25 sq tube section which is about the same weight as the original timber sections. The reskin cost me over £3K but it did include a major update of some of the interior too, new hob and sink, new foam upholstered by wife and daughter etc and it took me nine months to complete the work! In edit, that's the van in my Avatar after the reskin.

If you aren't 100% certain that you have the skills, time, money and patience to tackle such work then give it a big body swerve.

D.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Crumbs....:Sad: If the last two posters say that... then you can't get better advice than to give it a wide berth... I've learnt a lot from the answers on here.:thumb:

Upvote 0

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
stay clear of the damp van got mine brand new and its never been dry total headache,

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi unless you are very good at DIY steer well clear :thumb:
I too bought a van that had damp ::bigsmile: but knew what I was buying.Plus I got it at the right price ( so I thought ) :thumb:My initial inspection confirmed that the seals had gone on the roof, but thought at first a simple fix :winky: NO CHANCE :Eeek:The damp had got everywhere :ROFLMAO: electrics came on and off when they wanted, the roof needed completely replacing :thumb: All the interior was taken out to be dried out,/ replaced :thumb:Any way the short version is all the interior was replaced :thumb: only using the cooker etc, but everything was new.It took 3 weeks solid to do and around 2.5 k but looked like a new van inside :ROFLMAO: so it should :Doh: it was :thumb::ROFLMAO:Up shot was I paid 6 k for the van but later sold it for 12k making a 3 k plus profit after using it for a year :thumb: Final thought I paid at least 3k too much for it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back