Damp (1 Viewer)

Jan 9, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
tribute T615
Exp
Since late 2015
I've just had a hab check done on my moho and the garage has reported an area of damp with a reading of 90%.Can this be right? Surely if it's that damp, the bodywork would be virtually liquid - or am I missing/misunderstanding something?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
It means that the wood is very wet and you should take action immediately to find the source of the problem and repair any damaged areas. Leaving it can lead to even more problems.

According to Google 100kg of wood with 50kg of water in it will give a reading of 100% .. Fresh sawn timber ranges from 40% to 200%

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Where is the damp located?

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
As I understand it from bitter experience The damp gets into the chipboard, Or whatever it is they have between the inner and outer layer. It can't escape so just turns the inside to a soggy mush. If its in the floor or something weight bearing it will eventually sag. As said above you will need to get it fixed so take advice and find someone reliable to fix it. I put a review on here for the company in Warrington that fixed ours. It cost a bit but the readings are now good and we have our pride and joy fully operational again.

Good luck!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I'm aware that when damp checks are done they don't actually do the doors on the gas locker and garage locker.
Why ?I don't know.

If you , or a prospective buyer do them , they often show up damp due to bad seals.
We found this out when selling our last van.
We honestly had no idea. The motorhome had had hab checks every year since we'd bought it.
The buyer went around prodding every where.
Leaving lots of holes . :Eeek:
Upshot they got it cheaper to repair the doors. Garage and gas. Whether they did or not we'll never know......
We were happy . We'd not lost much of the purchase price , though we'd had it reupholstered.
They were blissfully happy. Haven't a clue if they still have it .
But the money we got went towards Our pvc Pug !
The rest is history :h:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back