Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
My van is just a year old and took it for its first Hab check yesterday, got the report, and damp readings are at various points between 8 &12% would you think this acceptable or should I be screaming at these readings
Personally I would have expected lower readings but since its my first van not sure what they should be
Any help from the vast experience on the forum would be welcome
Thks

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
no worries at all there, ambient conditions could have made them even higher

I recall being told not to worry until 15%, even then do nothing till 18-20% after checking they weren't temporary readings

(y)

edit - if you were or are worried though, you really should have asked the dealer to explain the readings

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
no worries at all there, ambient conditions could have made them even higher

I recall being told not to worry until 15%, even then do nothing till 18-20% after checking they weren't temporary readings

(y)

edit - if you were or are worried though, you really should have asked the dealer to explain the readings
Thks for the info, I did ask him to explain and he indicated they were ok and nothing to worry about, however they don't always tell the truth and was checking with people who have more experience of these issues
My worry is that after a year there aleady up at 12%, but maybe this is normal

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
OH How I wish my year old Autotrail (like so many others) had such a low reading on it's first hab check..
40% in side wall !!! Heki leaking and 30% there...
All sorted now by factory but not what you expect from a new van.. :(

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
OH How I wish my year old Autotrail (like so many others) had such a low reading on it's first hab check..
40% in side wall !!! Heki leaking and 30% there...
All sorted now by factory but not what you expect from a new van.. :(
Sorry to hear that tonka maybe am ok then,but then that's no consolation to you, hope you got it sorted
But your right a new Motorhome IMO should not have these issues
Thks for your input

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Mine got sorted at the factory... Long story..
The most annoying thing is that I have met and heard so many people with brand new Autotrails that have had similar problems.. At one Rally I was chatting to a guy with a year old van, When I told him the tale, he went straight to his van, lifted the dinette covers and he had a big watermark all up the wall. !!
It had only had a hab check at the supplying dealers a few months earlier....

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I wouldnt rely on an annual damp check
After all, it could be fine on the day of the check and start leaking the next. You would be none the wiser for a further 364 days. In that time, your van will be knackered!
I check ours with our own tester at least once every couple of months.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I wouldnt rely on an annual damp check
After all, it could be fine on the day of the check and start leaking the next. You would be none the wiser for a further 364 days. In that time, your van will be knackered!
I check ours with our own tester at least once every couple of months.

That seems like good advice John but your van must look like a second hand dartboard or am I missing something ?

Also which meter do you use and trust ?
thanks

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
LOL! It pays to prod discretely!!!!
Under the edge of trim and behind window and rooflight surrounds are the chosen spots which are invisible.

We have a tester from Aldi, the readings always seem accurate. Prodding a known dry bit of wood gives around 10-15% every time.
Another way of identifying a leak is to run a dehumidifier inside the van. A rapidly filling water container will point to water ingress somewhere!

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Just purchased a damp meter given what I've read so far and intend to check on a regular basis
Surprised by the number of M/H that have an issue especially newer vans

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I use an engineer from the NCC approved list.. Not only cheaper than a dealer but they come to you and no axe to grind.. Let's face it, you have a check done at 11 months, who is responsible if they find anything... The dealer. !! You have to agree could be some doubt there on things being found.. After the 12 months if you have an extended warrantee its either a claim to the manufacturer or third part insurance..
My NCC report was no issue at all with Autotrail and the report was accepted with no problem..
I have a "prong" meter that i bough years ago from Maplins but now use a "non invasive" meter.. Off ebay from China.. Leave no holes and gives me a good guide as I now check often..

Broken Link Removed

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Bought a bailey 760 se second hand and had to put it to approved centre to keep the warranty and paperwork states a damp check MUST be carried out !!! When got van back NO damp report and was advised that because of the construction you can't carry out a damp check !!!!!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I also have my own meter and carry out reading on a regular basis and so far I'm no problems :)

I have used it on others vans and it's given reading, but low 3-4%, however on one panel on my mates van, it read high after a seal had failed on an access door :)

Worth the investment as they're not expensive and quite accurate too. Plus it's peace of mind :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I use one but that is not the problem I have, There was a leak at the opening hatch, before I bought it and it was fixed at a dealer (since redone by me) The problem is that there is a faint brown stain on the had lining that show up against the cream coloured fabric, can this be removed without getting worse?
The moisture reading is low so it is historical . It still looks damp and I see it.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
LOL! It pays to prod discretely!!!!
Under the edge of trim and behind window and rooflight surrounds are the chosen spots which are invisible.

We have a tester from Aldi, the readings always seem accurate. Prodding a known dry bit of wood gives around 10-15% every time.

Ok Thanks John, but I think I may go the non invasive way as I can see me wanting to prod everywhere, I may have become a prodaholic and I'd hate to think my babe was needing a nappy, or incontinence pad.

Unless someone knows different and that non invasive ones are less accurate !!!! :Eeek:

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
H
I use one but that is not the problem I have, There was a leak at the opening hatch, before I bought it and it was fixed at a dealer (since redone by me) The problem is that there is a faint brown stain on the had lining that show up against the cream coloured fabric, can this be removed without getting worse?
The moisture reading is low so it is historical . It still looks damp and I see it.
Have you tried wd40 it works on lots of things, worth a try

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I use a cheap damp meter that uses 4 prongs and I deliberately penetrate well into the surface. Meter readings will vary depending on the humidity in the van at that particular time of the year. What should not change much is the regular readings at the same point. I regularly check and log the readings making comparisons over a period of time. Generally I get readings between 10% in the summer to 18% in the wetter winter months. Some may say that these readings are high but that is probably due to me having a cheap meter; it's the difference in readings over time that I focus on.

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I also have my own meter and carry out reading on a regular basis and so far I'm no problems :)

I have used it on others vans and it's given reading, but low 3-4%, however on one panel on my mates van, it read high after a seal had failed on an access door :)

Worth the investment as they're not expensive and quite accurate too. Plus it's peace of mind :)
That's what I was expecting from my damp readings, a little concerned that am only 3% away from what the dealers indicate needs investigation (15%) and I keep my van on EHU at home with the heater on low beginning to wonder if that's such a good idea
Thks for your input

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
I have 2 damp meters, one with 2 prongs and the other is a surface type. I bought both after or rather because of a bad experience with a CI Carioca that I bought last January.

Fortunately, after Trading Standards got involved, I got anther van as a replacement, but a damp meter is probably the best accessory that you could buy for your motorhome.

I bought both of mine from eBay but Aldi and Lidl both sell very good ones at eBay prices with a 3 year guarantee too.

When it comes to testing, peel back a door seal and test behind the seal, aim for discrete places, inside lockers, etc.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I am not a fan of leaving a heater on... Some claim it help create condensation.. You never see any vans heated at the factory or when standing on a dealers forecourt.....

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Warm air carries more moisture than cold air then if the warm air comes into contact with a cold surface you get condensation.

Our caravan over wintered without any heat or dehumidifier for 14 years and was still dry as a bone, as long as you have no leaks you don't need to do anything, and if you have a leak it needs fixing.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I use an engineer from the NCC approved list.. Not only cheaper than a dealer but they come to you and no axe to grind.. Let's face it, you have a check done at 11 months, who is responsible if they find anything... The dealer. !! You have to agree could be some doubt there on things being found.. After the 12 months if you have an extended warrantee its either a claim to the manufacturer or third part insurance..
My NCC report was no issue at all with Autotrail and the report was accepted with no problem..
I have a "prong" meter that i bough years ago from Maplins but now use a "non invasive" meter.. Off ebay from China.. Leave no holes and gives me a good guide as I now check often..

Broken Link Removed
When we had our habitation service last January the (independent NCC approved) engineer found some spots of damp and we discovered that some seals had deteriorated. We had them fixed, obviously. I bought a Broken Link Removed from Machine Mart which confirmed the readings but I then saw the Chinese one which Steve mentioned and ordered one. It was delivered today and seems to work fine.

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I am not a fan of leaving a heater on... Some claim it help create condensation.. You never see any vans heated at the factory or when standing on a dealers forecourt.....

I did consider the dealer issue tonka, however is this down to cost bearing in mind the vans could be sat there for a long time and the cost of energy is expensive but I intend to invesigate this fact further, again useful info Thks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back