Damp Meters (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
As a newbie now going about selecting a used MH to purchase I intend to carry out my own checks to ensure there is no dampness above 15% present. I presently have a damp meter which is only colour coded so I intend to purchase one which gives actual %s .
Do the funsters have any preference for which is a good meter?
Look forward to your kind advice.
Ian

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I'm probably less qualified to speak on this topic than anyone, however I ended up purchasing a Link Removed

I liked the idea of non destructive testing.

My understanding is experience helps with using it, use it in the middle of a wall where it shouldn't be damp to get a reading (and other places) before measuring likely candidate locations.

Anyhow. best of luck with you search I'll be interested in reading the responses and what you end up doing.

Cheers,
Mark

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Protimeter mini about £135

I have a Protimeter(an expensive £150 one 6 years ago) but it does not give %s only colour coded
Does the mini provide %s?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I'm probably less qualified to speak on this topic than anyone, however I ended up purchasing a Link Removed

I liked the idea of non destructive testing.

My understanding is experience helps with using it,[HI] use it in the middle of a wall where it shouldn't be damp to get a reading[/HI] (and other places) before measuring likely candidate locations.

Anyhow. best of luck with you search I'll be interested in reading the responses and what you end up doing.

Cheers,
Mark
you need to check in any joints like between wall and ceiling and floor. also round wheel arches lockers skylights and windows. checking the centre of a wall will give the lowest reading as furthest from trouble spots

ive got a couple of meters, one of which came from aldi/lidl and is as accurate as the more expensive one

this one was recommended recently for accuracy due to 4 pins
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Knowing where to test is just as important as by the time you can see any signs its too late

Yes I can appreciate that too but unless you detect the problem by regular checking how can you repair and eradicate it timeously?

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Yes 6% - 80% but it is a twin pin probe so will leave 2 small holes think protimeter survey master is probably the best but believe its quite complicate and cost about £300

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Also need to remember that readings can be effected by proximity of pipes / rubber seals etc
Try it against your arm and will probably get a reading of about 20%
I check round all windows as well as round the habitation door and the area round locker doors and wheel arches (that's where I found a problem) more often than other areas but check all joints between walls and roof and round any area where there is an external fitment
I do not use under the van as believe that due to external weather conditions you will always get high readings but I have a prod about with a blunt screwdriver checking for soft spots

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I can recomend the CEM DT128. The pin type ones wont work on plasticised wallboard unless you puncture the surface.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
don't be put off by the lights rather than a percentage . All reading you get are a matter of comparing like with like, different materials have different resistance it is the resistance that a meter reads. Changes occur because of natural changes in humidity. Hence you compare a known dryer area (usually a mid point between doors and windows) with those areas likely to be prone to damp incursion, (lower edges of windows around doors etc.) Use the meter as a comparator rather than bother with specific percentages.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
don't be put off by the lights rather than a percentage . All reading you get are a matter of comparing like with like, different materials have different resistance it is the resistance that a meter reads. Changes occur because of natural changes in humidity. Hence you compare a known dryer area (usually a mid point between doors and windows) with those areas likely to be prone to damp incursion, (lower edges of windows around doors etc.) Use the meter as a comparator rather than bother with specific percentages.

I fully accept what you say,however when dealing with "salesmen" I think you might have on occasions to be direct and simplistic(No disrespect intended for the worthies on here) -so I expect to be able to more readily challenge sales nonsense if it can be readily displayed.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
some salesmen and dealerships get pretty arsy if you do your own damp tests on their vans. i was visiting one big named dealership in hampshire and saw and heard a salesman telling a customer to f**k off because he had found damp in a van on sale

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
some salesmen and dealerships get pretty arsy if you do your own damp tests on their vans. i was visiting one big named dealership in hampshire and saw and heard a salesman telling a customer to f**k off because he had found damp in a van on sale

That is exactly what I would do in that event sharing and parting with possibly a similar if not stronger term of endearment !:Doh::Doh:

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Intereresting, I'm currently in the market for a new van and have been taking my non invasive meter with me.
I figure that as no damage is caused, they have no reason to object !

Meter was purchased from ebay and appears to work very well.
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Very important to check if buying privately. I was looking around for one some years ago and found damp areas were very common, possibly why they were selling them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Very important to check if buying privately. I was looking around for one some years ago and found damp areas were very common, possibly why they were selling them.

Can I ask our celebrated Leader Jim if there is a reason why the use of a damp meter is not mentioned as advice in his excellent book on buying a motorhome.

I would very much respect and value his views on this matter.

Regards

Ian

Upvote 0

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
anything over 18% is considered damp under that is classed as general condensation/perspiration/respiration

Upvote 0

marcus153

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630 Mercedes
Exp
The damp testers are actually electrical conductivity testers so other things can set them off. Metal frames etc - so be aware not to discount a sound motorhome.

Damp is generally caused by water penetration (leak) or most commonly in motorhomes and caravans by condensation. warm inside and cold outside…

ventilation is the key and the best cure/prevention.

I studied this extensively with my 1880's victorian home. (not designed for double glazing and central heating)

I was quoted thousands of pounds to have damp proof cause put in but in the end sorted the whole problem by having a window left slightly open!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The damp testers are actually electrical conductivity testers so other things can set them off. Metal frames etc - so be aware not to discount a sound motorhome.

Damp is generally caused by water penetration (leak) or most commonly in motorhomes and caravans by condensation. warm inside and cold outside…

ventilation is the key and the best cure/prevention.

I studied this extensively with my 1880's victorian home. (not designed for double glazing and central heating)

I was quoted thousands of pounds to have damp proof cause put in but in the end sorted the whole problem by having a window left slightly open!!!

I understand all you say and empathise about your home (ours was built 173 yrs.ago).

Buying a MH is such a big investment and I've worked hard to get our filthy lucre so I'm not inclined to part with it unless I am absolutely convinced by demonstration and insurance backed documentation that there is no detectable dampness present at the time of purchase.
I do understand in detail the conditions required for the formation of both interstitial and surface condensation and hopefully would not get dampness and condensation confused.
Thanks for your comments
Ian

Upvote 0

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Intereresting, I'm currently in the market for a new van and have been taking my non invasive meter with me.

Broken Link Removed
Surely if you are reasonable, do no harm and ask first what have they to hide? Perhaps a lot hence their reaction.

Some of these sales guys might just as well be selling ice cream. The only "asset" they have is the gift of the gab!

Upvote 0

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
anything over 18% is considered damp under that is classed as general condensation/perspiration/respiration
marcus, to back up what you say, have just had a lot of remedial work done on a house and the company used a figure of 20%. Anything near and over that meant the timber had to be taken out to ensure no dry/wet rot was left.

Upvote 0

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115

Broken Link Removed
Hi
Hn their ad. they only mention soft and hardwood. Does yours work on both the interior and exterior of your MH please?
Thanks

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back