damp meter recommendations please (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Happily flashkim has found his leak :Smile: a now got it sorted. That got me thinking i should check my van. Can anyone recommend a damp meter or whatever it is i need that wont break the bank please:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ours is from Aldi but they only have them in once a year. It was about a tenner Nd has a rotating sensor head and a hold button for the display.

There are lots on ebay for a similar price but I can't vouch for their effectiveness.

Whatever you buy though, make sure there is a data 'hold' on the device of a remote sensor. You will have to put the meter in places where you won't be able to see the screen.

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
I got this one and it works very well

Link Removed

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Happily flashkim has found his leak :Smile: a now got it sorted. That got me thinking i should check my van. Can anyone recommend a damp meter or whatever it is i need that wont break the bank please:thumb:
Your nose is the best I have had a caravan for 30 years and then a motor home for the last 9 years I find it ridiculous when you consider the money you spend that we put up with the build quality of some motor homes

Bill

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I bought [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moisture-Detector-Brennenstuhl-black-yellow/dp/B003CSNV2Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1362687804&sr=1-1"]this one[/ame], not that cheap but has a hold button and wood and solid settings. Impressive but yet to try it in the motorhome. And to answer another question, yes you push the probes into the surface but they barely show.

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
damp meter and water ingress

I recently bought a damp meter from amazon, it was a RAPITEST and cost around £19 delivered.-`I have just finished rebuilding the rear floor and inside wall timbers and panels of my 2004 ci carioca mh due to exstensive water ingress, it was all down to overall shoddy manufacturing in Italy, namely, insufficient, or lack of underseal onthe underneath of the wooden floor, also the use of ordainary steel scews and clips causing sever rusting penetrating into the wood main frame and crossmembers causing more damsge. I maintain that for t he damaged caused it was leaking from new and was doomed the day it left the factory. I bought the meter to check for the unlikely chance of more ingress,sadly i have found another leak coming in from the roof above the ceiling inside the wardrobe caused by rusting corroding screws coming down through the roofedge beading " deja vous" I am stripping the ceiling exposing rotten damp wood, the white faced ply ceiling was only damaged in for just acouple of inches , but a layer of hardboard was manufactured between the aliminum roof and the poly insulation,the hardboard soaked the water up like blotting paper. Yes the RAPITEST does work and is, in my case money well spent.
yokel "GUTTED" john .:cry::cry::cry: `

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I got this one and it works very well

Link Removed

Keith

Ditto - usually get readings between 8% summer to 18% in the winter. Tried it on a piece of wood stored in the garage and it read 35%. Crude calibration but as first test it works for me. I insert the probes well into to surface being tested; not too bothered with the holes as i reuse the sam position every time and they are barely visible unless you look for them. This also allows me to monitor each test area and compare results from last time.

Jack

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Thankyou all for suggestions i am surprised how cheap these gadgets are. :thumb: I will be getting one soon and hopefully not discovering any nasty:Eeek: damp patches :pray:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back