damp in a brand new mh anyone? (1 Viewer)

threeply

Free Member
May 18, 2015
watford
Funster No
MH
autotrail 700 se
Exp
I'm a newbie
we have just purchased a new mh, we noticed a few days later a shadowing on the wall. Not being quite sure what is was we had it tested. It turned out that it was damp top to bottom. We have been in touch with the dealer but as yet they have not told us what is going to happen. Just looking for a bit of advice if anyone has been in similar situation. HELP.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds shocking. If it's serious and you're not happy, consider rejecting the van. Big decision I know, but worth serious consideration.

If it were me I would be VERY unhappy.

Hope you can get the matter sorted, one way or another, without too much pain.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
So sad to read this but not really surprised. Modern standards dont appear to equal old ones.

I hope u get it sorted to your satisfaction

Ps: what make/model do u have?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I would be surprised if it's sat around for years but it might still be for some time. Look for date evidence e. g. date stamps on plastic components. Inside surface of door pockets and glove box lids. Inside ashtrays. It can be used against the supplying dealer if very old.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Don't worry about doing research re age. Look at consumer rights act 2015 and the 30 day right to reject rule. Dump it back on the supplier. Send all correspondence by email to lodge complaint. Any phone calls or meetings about the issue follow with e mail as to what was said and agreed. If it has damp you do not want the vehicle. Do not be fobbed off about all vans have damp. You must do all this in the 30 day period to be in control to reject vehicle

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
we have just purchased a new mh, we noticed a few days later a shadowing on the wall. Not being quite sure what is was we had it tested. It turned out that it was damp top to bottom. We have been in touch with the dealer but as yet they have not told us what is going to happen. Just looking for a bit of advice if anyone has been in similar situation. HELP.
Further to my post. Who tested the vehicle for damp. Was it the supplier? If not get written evidence from the tester and qualifications Your supplier will want to examin the vehicle and they probably will say no damp. So your evidence will then be needed to challenge the rejection.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I'm in the reject it camp as said above even if they fix it you will spend every hour checking it and waiting for it to come back

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I don't think the OP benefits from resurrecting the British vs Continental build quality/damp prevalence argument, they only seek advice on how to best handle the unsatisfactory and disappointing position they now find themselves in. If it were me, I think I'd go down the reject route.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I don't think the OP benefits from resurrecting the British vs Continental build quality/damp prevalence argument, they only seek advice on how to best handle the unsatisfactory and disappointing position they now find themselves in. If it were me, I think I'd go down the reject route.
Although it would be nice to know the brand and model incase any other owners of the same vehicle have this issue it may help them get justice.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
If you can, take it back Reject it

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would reject it too. Who wants a damp van from the word go.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If it has a wooden frame, then it is stuffed , the rot is there, I think it is only correct that you contact a solicitor and reject it NOW. They should have done some checking when it was delivered to them. and certainly BEFORE Delivery to you. It might just be a lack of sealant around the frame and that would be easily fixed,. CHECK IT ALL OVER.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I worked out from my VIN number the FIAT chassis my van is on was over 1 year old
Some "new" vans have stood around for literally years before being sold. If it is damp I second the suggestion of rejecting the vehicle. :(
I worked out the FIAT chassis my van is on was over a year old when I bought it new. Which kind of makes a mockery of the 2 year oil change business, as that contaminated oil sat out a winter somewhere and was already over a year old when I got it. I changed the oil after 800 miles.

Reactions: DBK
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We rejected our first van after 5 weeks, although the fault was reported after 10 days and we were trying to have rectified, the dealer was very good about it, almost as if they were used to it.

Any damp I would definitely reject it.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Another vote for reject
Why settle for a damp van ?

LadyBea

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Dumfries &Galloway
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 1994
If you have finance on the vehicle get in touch with them, ours were very helpful when we thought about rejecting one of our motorhomes

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
If you have finance on the vehicle get in touch with them, ours were very helpful when we thought about rejecting one of our motorhomes
Daft as it sounds, if you have finance on the vehicle you are in a much stronger position. You should notify your finance company that you wish to reject the van and get full reimbursement - they will soon get on the case. Dealers and Manufacturers jump on things when the finance company steps in.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Another vote for rejection and do so quickly. Don't take no for an answer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back