Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
My understanding of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is that you have 30 days from purchase to reject an item.

If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.

I believe that this quote from "Tollers Solicitors website" is the correct interpretation

"Consumers can elect or allow the trader to carry out repairs or replace faulty goods within the 30 Day Period. In such circumstances, the clock, for the purposes of calculating the 30 Day Period stops until the goods have been replaced or returned".

This was confirmed to me by Citizens Advice

Last edited:

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
If it was me, I would go back to dealership at busiest time, create as much of a hullabaloo as possible and quote all of above comments!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Would this thread count as evidence of date etc.?
Yes it would It a 'recording' of what was said by whom on what date and cannot be erased or altered. It did not occur to me when I gave the advice. In 'My Day' all we had was Biro or indelible pencil LOL.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If it was me, I would go back to dealership at busiest time, create as much of a hullabaloo as possible and quote all of above comments!
I wouldn’t. It immediately puts people on the defensive and they clam up. Start off nice and reasonable, they are far more likely to open up and try to explain how it happened, who got it wrong etc. This is all useful ammunition for later and people are far more likely to dig themselves into a hole or say something they shouldn’t for Mr Niceguy. Lose your temper and lose the argument. Perhaps go in later with all guns blazing when they don’t expect it, if you have to.

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
I think they have tried the nice approach.

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
Hi I rejected it on Saturday just within the 30 days , so let’s see what Monday morning brings
I’m so annoyed that they tried to hoodwink me
I may see it differently when I have calmed down
I have asked myself what do I want as the solution ? And I’m not sure of the answer

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Surely, if you are rejecting the motorhome, what you want as a solution is a full refund of the money you have paid? I think you will have to be clear from the outset.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I was basing my comments on this post of earlier today
I have rejected it by email today to be on the safe side , so I’m waiting for there response on Monday.
which I interpreted as being outside the 30 day period. If the motorhome has been legally rejected within the period allowed then I guess it is a closed issue.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
just a thought should I name and shame the dealer ?
No keep that in your back pocket if they don’t play ball and start to give you a hard time regarding the rejection. I believe you have done the best thing at this very early stage otherwise you will be constantly concerned about the damp problem and that should be at the back of your mind when purchasing a new Motorhome.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you end up accepting a repair I would write and say you will only accept one attempt to repair it to make it watertight then if theres aleak anywhere in the future it might result in you being able to reject it. That being said if it were me I would go for a refund from what others ay it sounds like a buyers market with a fair bit to choose from

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
My trade in has been traded to another dealer,who has it for sale and it was 10 years old and when appraised by the new van selling dealer it was bone dry everywhere

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I do question the rigidity of it having heard that some Baileys have been having issues with stress fractures.
I am surprised at this comment. I am a member of a Bailey owners facebook group and cannot find any reference to stress fractures of the Alutech system. In fact one of the admin has commented that he hasn’t in 4 years.
In fact my decision to go with a Bailey was based on my experience in the bus industry with a similar bolt and clamp aluminium construction system. Buses so constructed were so much more rigid, dry and less rattly and their life is much harder than any Motorhome. This is when it seems to me that other Motorhome manufacturers are using bolts screws and glue to achieve structural integrity.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I thought that Autotrail were the dogs doo daas
They might claim that but I couldn’t possibly comment (having never owned one). I never thought Carlsberg was anywhere near the best beer in the world but that is probably what I was supposed to believe.

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
Good to know tandc
I have agreed to let them fix the locker door once and once only and on condition it has a new damp test and report that is acceptable to me and there is no other damp

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If it’s just a damp door (and I am not trying to trivialise the problem) and they change it and you can’t tell and the rest of the van is OK then you have what you paid for??

Martin

Yes he has Martin but would you have been panicking if Niesmann had said that to you in 2006 a few weeks after delivery?
It's got the potential to get damp after such s short period, how's it going to be in 5, 7 or 10 years time.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
How do they test for damp? with one of those two pronged meters used to test plaster in houses?

Makes you wonder about the accuracy with so many autotrail vans having a damp problem. used to be swift vans, then some other make, can't all be damp can they?
YES

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes he has Martin but would you have been panicking if Niesmann had said that to you in 2006 a few weeks after delivery?
It's got the potential to get damp after such s short period, how's it going to be in 5, 7 or 10 years time.
Indeed it’s not what any new owner wants to hear, but the sad fact is that new vans have problems on delivery but when it’s fixed it’s fixed.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I am surprised at this comment. I am a member of a Bailey owners facebook group and cannot find any reference to stress fractures of the Alutech system. In fact one of the admin has commented that he hasn’t in 4 years.
In fact my decision to go with a Bailey was based on my experience in the bus industry with a similar bolt and clamp aluminium construction system. Buses so constructed were so much more rigid, dry and less rattly and their life is much harder than any Motorhome. This is when it seems to me that other Motorhome manufacturers are using bolts screws and glue to achieve structural integrity.

I heard it from a trader but a quick google bought me this.

I know its a caravan but its exactly the same construction.

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
Hi guys spoke to the salesman who sold it to me today and he doesn’t know anything about the locker being damp
Then spoke to sales manager who also claimed he knew nothing about it ,so I said someone flagged it up and it’s on the system , he claimed he doesn’t know the girl in the service department who told me 2 weeks ago that it had ordered a locker infill now tells me it was only ordered yesterday, this deceitful practice must be in their training manual, they are looking into it and getting back to me tomorrow ( after studying the training manual some more )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back