Free Member
May 26, 2016
Tring
Funster No
MH
Citroen C25 1990
Exp
None!
For those who saw our panic thread last week, we followed up our damp fears with a full habitation check. (Something I now know I should have paid to get done before we bought)
IT does not make pretty reading.
Plan is to get it watertight asap, then monitor it over the summer and re-do the readings in 2 months time.
Turns out because the van had been in dry storage for over a year, and never seen any water, the evidence of damp was hidden, even to a damp meter. Plus we are inexperienced and a bit green tbh!
If anyone knows of a firm that could help undertake this work anywhere near London/Oxford/Milton Keynes, please let me know.
I have thought of approaching some of the local roofers to have a go at the job. The physics and materials are very similar, fingers crossed as most caravan servicing firms seem "booked up until July"
Watch this space.
Thanks all!

Mark & Abby

Attachments

• Damp report.jpg
    Damp report.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 149
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry to hear the bad news, I feel for you
But most certainly do not let a roofer loose on it. It is completely different sort of work with no similarities whatsoever.
Others will be along soon to give more practical advise on how to resolve.
Good luck

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There are a couple of members who are operate mobile motorhome services .. who I am sure can undertake this work.. and to a good standard..
@Ash and @C.L.S s

do NOT ask a roofer.. totally different type of work.

They also have web sites..
http://www.central-leisure-services.co.uk

another member with workshop facilities in Telford.

http://davenewell.co.uk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
To be honest it doesn't look to bad for a twenty odd year old motor fairly high and slightly high, nothing to worry unduly about, wants putting right admittedly but not drastic.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We saw one in France about that age and the owner had stuck black roofing felt all over the roof , was going to photograph it but he was always there so didn't like:)

OP
OP
M

Mark Harvey

Free Member
May 26, 2016
Tring
Funster No
MH
Citroen C25 1990
Exp
None!
Thanks Chaser.
The guy doing the Hab check said he had seen much worse. We have a 6m old Daughter so we are just being paranoid about damp.
Plus - we want to stop it before it gets worse obviously.
Have sent messages to the guys mentioned on this thread.
Nor sure why people are so adverse to Roofers, having spoken to one, there are a lot of similarities in the work.
If you think of anything else let me know
Cheers

Mark

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Nor sure why people are so adverse to Roofers, having spoken to one, there are a lot of similarities in the work

not averse.. but roofers don't generally know much about resealing vans.. it's like asking a house bashing spark to repair a TV .. not saying they can't but when you need a specific type of work done best to use the person who is trained in that field.. would you go to the dentist for a hair cut.. :LOL:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I also think the readings are not as serous as you might fear, I seem to recall that even brand new wood will read over 10% moisture, I even think it is or can be 15%, I think in caravan / motorhome warranty issues they would not even investigate until 20% +

But the readings at lower level at the back are the ones to be most concerned about , but even then not unduly

We had damp in a caravan with readings around 80%, it all got sorted

It is not obvious from the report where the damp will be getting in, but might just be a vase of renewing mastic as suggested

Best of luck with it, nothing worse than feeling like you have been conned, I suspect the seller will have been aware of the issues

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm with others about the seriousness. We've had higher spot reading in our van. I note the cause is ingress as a result of old sealant mastic and that is a problem we have had. It was sorted by scraping out the old sealant and resealing with something like Carafax or Puraflex 40 which stops further ingress and allows the affected area to dry out. It takes time but isn't a particularly difficult job to do so long as you are happy on stepladders for the higher areas.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I used motorhome coachcraft (Peter Ayles) for a major damp repair on my old lunar. Excellent job and the bill was £200 less than the quote. I would recommend. He is just outside Luton

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its not a difficult job to do DIY, but can be pretty messy. you need to remove each of the joining strips, one at a time, thoroughly clean away old mastic, re-bed on new mastic and use new stainless steel screws. the same with each window and skylight etc

the problem is the old mastic dries out, cracks and lets in water over time. its exacerbated by being kept inside because being exposed to the sun helps keep the mastic flexible and soft. this also allows the cheap screws used in manufacture to corrode and snap. sadly its a very common fault that needs fixing quickly. then hopefully the low damp levels will dry out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back