Damon Daybreak LPG tank mount failure (1 Viewer)

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I came across this post whilst browsing Facts this morning and felt it worth mentioning here:

Hi there

Just a quick of piece of advice to those of you out there with a Damon 2740.
Check the welded mounts on the outrigger part of the chassis where the lpg tank is suspended from, mine cracked, split and essentially failed resulting in the tank breaking away down the A1!!! The tank itself only held on to the RV by the pipe work and approx 10mm of the bracket! Be warned this could have been a potential lethal failure as the tank was dragged 100m before we could stop. If it had let go it probably would have gone under the rear wheels and flipped us over.
Its been sorted now, sort of, still having problems. More worrying is the fact that the two companies Damon and Mantanks would not help.

Anyway, just stick your head right under when you next refill and check the outrigger and the brackets on the tank. It could not only save you money but your life!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Why thank you Linda, I needed cheering up this morning:ROFLMAO:
Excellent post:thumb:
Guess what im checking this afternoon:whatthe: and if it needs welding Listen out for the BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I see from the same report that two attempts at fitting or repairing new mounts have also failed:Eeek:
I wouldn,t rest on my laurels it being a Damon only prolem it,s a welding/weight problem that all RVs may have, Go look soon:thumb:
Geo

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Gonna check mine today.

Trouble is I'm almost out of Gaffa Tape.

Any chance you might bring a welder on the weekend Geo :Eeek::Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I think this information is important enough to email it to all my BPG members, later on today - hope you don't mind, Linda. :thumb:

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I don't mind in the slightest Dick, the original post was made by a member of Motorhomefacts............like you, I felt it was important enough to bring it to the notice of others. :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Gonna check mine today.

Trouble is I'm almost out of Gaffa Tape.

Any chance you might bring a welder on the weekend Geo :Eeek::Eeek:
Don't know about the welder Ror But I have a friend who has sourced some Gaffer tape with little yellow ducks on :thumb: so I can refund you your tape, if she remembers to bring it to Billing:Doh:Im sure she will :thumb:
I'm not going anywhere without at least two rolls on board

Jut as a foot note, if there are any budding welders out there, your not going to attempt a repair with the tank in situ, ARE YOU:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
Geo
Ps I shall require the remnants of the old roll, don't want you making a profit do we

Last edited:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Gaffer Tape is getting harder to find these days especialy the designer ones with a little duck on it price could go up alarmingly
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Gaffer Tape is getting harder to find these days especialy the designer ones with a little duck on it price could go up alarmingly
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Its a good job Im dealing with the BOSS then Tony:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We executives have to stick together, im sure she will let you have some at a good price though:thumb:,
maybe
Geo

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Its a good job Im dealing with the BOSS then Tony:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We executives have to stick together, im sure she will let you have some at a good price though:thumb:,
maybe
Geo

Can't tell you what i had to do for mine :cry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Happy to report following a full inspection, my tank is safe and sound and not mounted on an outrigger type construction,but full square framed support
For those not of an engineering background, an outrigger is a single piece of metal,they would be fitted in pairs to hold a tank, welded to the side of a chassis rail at aproxamately 90 Deg, and is supported at no other point:Eeek: (much like a hanging basket type bracket) to hang a gas tank from such a construction is questionable to say the least, so if you have this type of mounting a serious look is recomended, and possibly think about adding a safety strap
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back