Damned couriers (1 Viewer)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I've been waiting for a replacement window since September, it's finally arrived !

I get home from work to find a delivery card from TNT saying that a parcel is with my neighbor.
So I collect the package bring it inside and place it on the dining table.
The corner of the box is crushed and has been sealed with TNT tape.
I'm already thinking bugger and take some pictures... carefully take the bubble wrapped window out of the box to find that it's smashed in the corner :cry:

My first call has been to the supplying dealer, they've been good so far, requesting pictures and contacting TNT.
Being 4pm on a Friday afternoon, I now have to wait until Monday to find out what's happening.
In the meantime, the dealer has ordered a replacement window... think I might be waiting a while....

IMG_1965.JPG
IMG_1966.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1970.JPG

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I'm assuming it left the dealer well packaged.

The 'good' end has two substantial polystyrene blocks, the damaged/taped end has nothing...

The courier's mishandled the package, that's pretty apparent - just hope they don't inconvenience me/the dealer.

Frustrated yes but on the bright side
1. the original window is only cracked, so the van is still useable
2. the dealer's being helpful and I can tell mhf how good they are once the problem is sorted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We bought a satellite dome of eBay, when it got delivered the dome was cracked nearly all the way round, luckily the sender ordered another from maxview which they Sent really well packaged and the sender claimed of his insurance.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@moho I hope that you receive a replacement from the supplier. Most couriers do not provide insurance cover for glass items. Personally, I would place the responsibility upon the supplier for inadequate packaging.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I agree, Chris, looks pretty poorly packed to me, I had a new window delivered a while back, took half an hour just to get the window out!!!
Cheers, Dave(y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Packing goods to send on a carrier is totally different from packaging you'd use when sending goods on pallets or on your own transport
The minimum protection I'd use for sending fragile products would be polystyrene protectors on all edges
If suggest asking your dealer to put the window box inside another larger box and fill empty space with polystyrene chips or bubble wrap
Good luck on your next delivery attempt

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It takes a hellova lot to break a plastic window like that..
Mind you, back in the 80's I spent a fair time doing something that found me spending some time on the loading dock of TNT.. Most of the people working there took care, but there was a couple of guys who took great delight in seeing how much damage they could cause.. deliberately throwing and kicking parcels around :mad:
I expect there are still people like that today who think it is really funny and get some strange pleasure from it

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I also use couriers a fair bit (ebayer) and in the main they are ok, although having a few mishaps just lately...

I'm reasonably sure that Consumer Law is on my side i.e. supplier is responsible for delivering goods of satisfactory quality.
Any clauses in t&c about signing for goods/signing unchecked etc are superseded by Consumer Law, so I should be ok.
I also paid by credit card so have that to fall back on, although I'm optimistic it won't come to that.

Based on the fact that the box has TNT tape around the damaged area, you'd have thought that they'd just accept liability...

With hindsight it might of been easier to go local - I might do the 200mile round trip to collect from the dealer next time round.
4 hour drive and a few quids worth of diesel for piece of mind, it is tempting.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I agree with Jaws as I too have worked in a parcel delivery company. Most of the operatives were very good but a small minority could be really juvenile with anything marked "Fragile", I once saw a 50" plasma TV box literally thrown from the back of an artic onto the warehouse floor, it may not have held a plasma TV of course as packaging does get re-used but it does open your eyes to see this sort of behaviour.

We have deliveries almost every day at work and as a result most of the regular drivers know us and we chat briefly. TNT deliver our solar panels and the regular driver is a star but on one occasion it was a relief driver. When he opened the back of his truck and I saw our well packaged panels lying on the floor with several large boxes on top of them in a random manner the alarm bells went off. He wasn't best pleased when I refused to sign for them till I'd opened every box and checked every panel thoroughly. He was even less pleased when I gave him advice about how to secure a "fragile" load. Following week when the regular driver was back on he said the relief driver got his cards previous Friday due to too many complaints about damaged deliveries.

Thr biggest part of the problem is the drivers aren't paid for their intelligence levels and many of them are only doing this work "between proper jobs" so just don't give a damn.

D.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The window should have been properly protected with polystyrene end cappings on - sending it just in bubble wrap was just asking for trouble - it provides NO protection at all from an accidental bash on the ends/corners. Whilst the courier has obviously damaged it if it had been correctly packaged I seriously doubt it would have actually happened, just the box should have been put out of shape. Whatever you do, do NOT get involved in the insurance claim between the supplier and the courier - let them sort it out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back