Damn! You were right folks! (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
We bought our first MH a couple of years ago and I was convinced we had if not the perfect layout then the most suitable for us. It's all about layout you said, there will always be compromises you said, most people don't get it right the first time you said.

Well, I thought we had. Until we took MH for its damp test this week and whilst we were waiting took a stroll around the new 2018 models... and I saw what really is the perfect layout for us.

I am so so lucky though. Because dear hubby explained to me in very clear, logical, financial, practical terms why we really don't need to spend/waste all that money on changing our almost perfect MH. So that's that then.

Oh dear, feel a case of marital deafness (usually his complaint!) creeping on....

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Ours is a Burstner and we've been, sorry we are, very happy with it (as hubby has plainly told me). But it was a Rapido 696F, bench seating, kitchen at slightly different angle.

Seemed to have so much more space. Our choreography to make sure we don't bump into each other could match Strictly sometimes (especially when he wears his tutu, oops don't think I meant to say that).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have been juggling this dilemma now for nearly 4 years

The real problem is that most comments say it takes three goes to get it right and the next one will be our third

I am terrified of making this final commitment :LOL:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
But console yourself by reminding yourself that the Rapido would have had other compromises that you didn't spot until too late.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It's all lies I tell you :xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We're on our 3rd MH and each one has been right for us at that time, circumstances change though and how you use them can change. We downsized to a PVC last year and love it, is it the ideal van? at the moment yes. I plan to retire roughly at 55 if nothing drastic changes with the intention of touring for a couple of years, I'm not sure if its the right van for living in 6 months a year.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
@Stealaway - funnily enough hubby is a Yorkshireman and makes frequent use of the Yorkshire war cry.

@Puddleduck has got the right approach - I'll just tell myself Rapidos have loads of damp problems, are easily broken into and are the most common victims of gas-and-rob.

Except we don't have any rolexes and it was such a perfect layout....

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Out T660 is the perfect layout for us and it's actually our second one, just a newer model. We did go to Lincoln last year and after £40 and 4 hours looking decided we've already got the best compromise.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
The next one will be our 7th, it better be perfect !!!
Done a camper van, a swift Kontiki, an American A class RV, a fifth wheel, a Burstner coach built and now a Burstner A class. Watch this space ..........:xThumb:

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
The next one will be our 7th, it better be perfect !!!
Oh don't, can't even think about changing 7 times!! In that case, we just need to go straight to number 7, not sure how to do that especially with hubby already in full Yorkshire war cry ;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We're on our 3rd MH and each one has been right for us at that time, circumstances change though and how you use them can change. We downsized to a PVC last year and love it, is it the ideal van? at the moment yes. I plan to retire roughly at 55 if nothing drastic changes with the intention of touring for a couple of years, I'm not sure if its the right van for living in 6 months a year.

We are the same - now on the 4th in over 20 years.

The first was a self built where everything lifted in and out depending on if we needed the bus as a mini-bus or as a camper, the second was a massive Hymer (4 kids at home), then when it was just the two of us we had a 6m coachbuilt but then Grandchildren arrived so we went up a metre in length and from 3 berths to 6, smaller loo and larger living space and galley.

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
It is funny, it is my Wife who is the cautious one of us.

In the Summer after several niggly problems and getting fed up of making up the bed every night I really fancied getting a new one, when I mentioned this after the engine management light came on she was horrified.

Slowly she came around and having researched and created a short list quietly on my own we visited the NEC together and showing her the ones I felt would best suit us she absolutely fell in love with one of them (surprisingly not one of the island bed models which I thought she would really like) the stand we saw it on by sheer luck was offering a fantastic deal so deposit paid and can’t wait for April

Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Returning to a motorhome.
I feel a little cheap in this company! Our 2001 Autocruise Vista seemed to be perfect for us. And, it probably will be when I've finished putting it right. We think it is like the Tardis. We've christened him Stumpy.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Ours is ALMOST perfect for us. A few changes can (and will) be made! BUT there are much better, nicer, spacious, expensive!!! ones out there that would be a compromise for how we use ours. Do we want to compromise our ease of travelling for something much more luxurious when we arrive?
At the moment NO!!! But who knows which way we'll go in the future.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Out T660 is the perfect layout for us and it's actually our second one, just a newer model. We did go to Lincoln last year and after £40 and 4 hours looking decided we've already got the best compromise.
Ha @Stealaway are you in cahoots with my hubby?! Ours is a Burstner T740 so very similar to yours - and you're right, it is very very nice....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On our 3rd all been perfect at the time, 1st one we kept for 6 years only changed because we had it 6 years and fancied an A Class with a big garage. Current van is almost the same layout as the last one only changed because we got such a good deal.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm on my 5th motor home but had 7 vw t2 campers, 4 vwt25 campers, 5 vw t4 campers, 2 Merc sprinters, and about half a dozen caravans not counting the 3 eriba caravans lol

I think I must change thinks too often

But compared to cars where I've had easily over 400 in 27 years driving it isn't bad

Only had 4 motorbikes though and 3 speedboats and 1 cabin cruiser

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
we visited the NEC together and showing her the ones I felt would best suit us she absolutely fell in love with one of them (surprisingly not one of the island bed models which I thought she would really like) the stand we saw it on by sheer luck was offering a fantastic deal so deposit paid and can’t wait for April

Ohhhh exciting tines ahead. What did you go for and which dealer? (NMC member wants to know)

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I'm on my 5th motor home but had 7 vw t2 campers, 4 vwt25 campers, 5 vw t4 campers, 2 Merc sprinters, and about half a dozen caravans not counting the 3 eriba caravans lol

I think I must change thinks too often

But compared to cars where I've had easily over 400 in 27 years driving it isn't bad

Only had 4 motorbikes though and 3 speedboats and 1 cabin cruiser

Wow, I think you should have been a car dealer as you would have saved a fortune on stamps to DVLA :D

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I'm on my first.. and it's PERFIK..... for moi.... cos I did my homework... :xThumb: but I was constrained to 7m at the time... else there was a very nice Rapido ( i think ) 7.5m (4 berth) drop down at front...big rear lounge or temp bedroom at rear (with cinema)... and the usual dinette at too...

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
It's strange how your needs and desires change over the years. I can remember us looking at fixed bed models and commenting how we could never live without our rear lounge. Then we moved to transverse rear bed as island beds were a waste of space, then we moved to island bed. Looking back over the last 23 years and the 13 Motorhomes we have owned, all were perfect (well almost) for what we wanted and perhaps needed at the time. It's all about compromise, what you get in one you don't in another.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
It's strange how your needs and desires change over the years. I can remember us looking at fixed bed models and commenting how we could never live without our rear lounge. Then we moved to transverse rear bed as island beds were a waste of space, then we moved to island bed. Looking back over the last 23 years and the 13 Motorhomes we have owned, all were perfect (well almost) for what we wanted and perhaps needed at the time. It's all about compromise, what you get in one you don't in another.

Like you we are on our 10th,
all have been what we wanted /needed at the time ,all with various compromises .

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're still on our first - it ticks all our boxes and despite quite an intensive look round this year we've found nothing that suits us better. We had a serious look at an Autotrail Tracker because we fancied the fixed transverse island bed, everything else being the same as our Bolero, if a bit (lot!) more up-to-date. But when we tried the bed it was immediately clear that it wasn't long enough. So we saved ourselves £37,000 and had ours re-upholstered.

I'm not saying we will never change but I'm a great proponent of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" brigade. Yes, at 10 years old it's needing occasional attention but at least we know what's wrong or needs doing, something it's sad to say that cannot be applied to the current crop of new vehicles.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Here's an idea. Why don't we all buy a new moho and then play some music. Every time the music stops, we run to the next Moho which is bound to be perfect for us. It just misses out the dealer so we save their 20%

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back