Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
i have a swift bessacar and the table that folds out on the set of draws at the back has been damaged by belive it or not a paperback book falling onto it from the top shelf
to replace it i have been quoted £200
does anyone know if i can just get the formica renewed instead of buying a complete new folding top
if so where could i get it done and for about how much
the motorhome is only about a year old

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Damaged tabletop

i have a swift bessacar and the table that folds out on the set of draws at the back has been damaged by belive it or not a paperback book falling onto it from the top shelf
to replace it i have been quoted £200
does anyone know if i can just get the formica renewed instead of buying a complete new folding top
if so where could i get it done and for about how much
the motorhome is only about a year old

Hi, sorry about the table leaf.

To apply a matching colour laminate over the damaged surfaace will create a further problem, that of warping (or casting), as the leaf will be out of balance. Its not really an option to remove the damaged surface, as the leaf has a honeycomb interior, not a solid one. It saves on cost and weight!

Is the quote from your Swift agent, and does it include supply and fix? If not, why not contact Swift direct, customer support, they may offfer to exchange it at a lower price, well its worth a try.

The only other option is to find a written off model, at a breakers yard, and make them an offer, sorry I'm not the bearer of good news, but good luck with the project.

Nomadic

Rose Royce

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
EPSOM
Funster No
There is a company that repairs these types of damage. Sorry don't know their name but try Googling

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi this is a number for a repair who got v/fav results and feedback from others
No idea of cost or location but belived he traveled to others ???:thumb:
w/top repairs 07775928269 steve

terry

OP
OP
paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
thankyou

QUOTE=nomadic;104817]Hi, sorry about the table leaf.

To apply a matching colour laminate over the damaged surfaace will create a further problem, that of warping (or casting), as the leaf will be out of balance. Its not really an option to remove the damaged surface, as the leaf has a honeycomb interior, not a solid one. It saves on cost and weight!

Is the quote from your Swift agent, and does it include supply and fix? If not, why not contact Swift direct, customer support, they may offfer to exchange it at a lower price, well its worth a try.

The only other option is to find a written off model, at a breakers yard, and make them an offer, sorry I'm not the bearer of good news, but good luck with the project.

Nomadic[/QUOTE]

how do i say thankyou to people who have posted a reply

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
how do i say thankyou to people who have posted a reply

Go to the post and click on the " THANKS " button in the lower right hand corner.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A much cheaper option would be to fill the offending hole, then cover with a transfer of your favourite topic making sure the damaged area is covered. Job done, looks good under £5. Good luck. By the way I would think the top is melamine and not formica. I did not realise they were so flimsily built. Bring back real wood.

OP
OP
paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
they are not very good at all and i hope this helps other people to avoid this problem
it was only a paperback book
good job it wasn't a hardback or it would have proberbly gone through the chest of draws and the floor as well ending up on the road or something

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A much cheaper option would be to fill the offending hole, then cover with a transfer of your favourite topic making sure the damaged area is covered. Job done, looks good under £5. Good luck. By the way I would think the top is melamine and not formica. I did not realise they were so flimsily built. Bring back real wood.
:ROFLMAO: Try Decamel (thiner cheaper version of Formica) fixed onto cardboard egg boxes type thing and you are nearer the mark :Eeek::ROFLMAO:
terry

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life
I did once glue a plastic placemat over a similar problem I had. But if yours is the folding over type of table the mat would need to be thin so that it doesn't foul the closing up. Worth looking at.
Sandy

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Try taking the motorhome to a vehicle signwriter. They will be able to reproduce the pattern on the tabletop in stick on plastic, you can then fill the damaged hole and stick the new cover over the top

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back