Damaged Door Stay (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Opened the habitation door of our Bailey 620 from the inside without realising that the wind was gusting like blazes. Door flew opened and there was a nasty cracking sound.

Didn't immediately see any damage however it soon became clear that the door stay, which holds the door open was still attached to the top of the door but wasn't attached to a groove which it should slide along till the end of travel.

Within the groove is a plastic thingy with a hole in the top that I presume the slide somehow screws into. it doesn't appear threaded but may be. I'll need a ladder to get above the door to get a proper look at it.

Does anyone have an idea how the door stay connects to the groove? the door will close with the stay loose but clearly it isn't optimal to have it flapping around. I'll try and take some pictures of it when we go to where van is stored to hopefully, make it clearer.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Opened the habitation door of our Bailey 620 from the inside without realising that the wind was gusting like blazes. Door flew opened and there was a nasty cracking sound.

Didn't immediately see any damage however it soon became clear that the door stay, which holds the door open was still attached to the top of the door but wasn't attached to a groove which it should slide along till the end of travel.

Within the groove is a plastic thingy with a hole in the top that I presume the slide somehow screws into. it doesn't appear threaded but may be. I'll need a ladder to get above the door to get a proper look at it.

Does anyone have an idea how the door stay connects to the groove? the door will close with the stay loose but clearly it isn't optimal to have it flapping around. I'll try and take some pictures of it when we go to where van is stored to hopefully, make it clearer.
Once it’s swung open too far, it’s had it. You could try getting it back together, but the thing won’t act like a stay anymore. Luckily, Bailey sell the unit as a spare.
The same stay is fitted to quite a few makes of van, we had one on our Autosleeper, first big gust of wind as we opened the door and it broke.
I think they are about £25 or so.

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
I bought 1 off eBay about £20 I think.5minutes to fit.They are handed though,so check which hand you need

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you all. Will see if I can source one from eBay. The Bailey site shows the part as being out of stock.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I struggled to get a replacement when mine did the same but managed to fix it by removing the metal bar and the plastic slider.
I put the peg through the plastic slider and gently peened the end with a small hammer to spread the end after the groove.
It is actually better than new as it cannot bounce off anymore (the original uses a tiny circlip in the groove).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
May look at trying Derbyshire wanderer's solution. I think all the parts are still there.

Plan (b): Not so far found a spare on eBay. Anyone with a link?

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Mine broke on my first trip in my brand new Autosleeper. Dealer"fixed" it twice and it broke straight away. Third time seems to be ok as that was months ago. My model has since had the doorway completely redesigned and now has the gas-strut type which is much better. Unfortunately it can't be put on mine.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I repaired mine, very similar to DW’s solution while I waited for the new part.
I’m sure my repair was 10 times stronger than the new one, but I changed it anyway and kept the repaired stay just in case.
Of course, once you are aware how fragile they are, you are much more careful opening the door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back