Damaged Awning - advice grateful (1 Viewer)

Paramed

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Funster No
I recently borrowed a Motorhome, Fiat Apache from a mate. But whilst on the Isle of Skye the wind lifted the awning and done some damage. I now need to look at repairs to the inner wall and the awning itself as the mechanism no longer winds out. Can anyone identify which model of awning this is (pics attached) and where I might get a repair done? Also how do I go about getting the inner lining of the motorhome repaired? Are we talking real expense? Any advice gratefully accepted.
Canopy (2).jpg
Canopy.jpg
Internal damage.jpg
Canopy (2).jpg Canopy.jpg Internal damage.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Oops

It is made by fiamma

Hard to say how much damage has been done but might be best to get a new one fitted maybe share the cost with your mate

The internal damage looks easiest fix, I would say the plates were not big enough originally but look like they must have always been visible get some bigger plates for a better fit and cover the holes it will probably need a new external bracket as well

You might get a used one on eBay or similar otherwise budget for a bill of £1000 plus o_O

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A proper repair means a new wall panel which will involve removing furniture.
I'm sure a cheaper repair will be available but the awning mounting won't go back there... Not enough strength in the repaired section.

Either way, it's going to run into hundreds of £s.

I reckon your mate isn't going to be a mate much longer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's hard to tell from the photos but potentially there could be a lot of damage if the outer skin of the MH has been distorted. :(
I don't think you can get this quickly sorted and handed back to your ex-mate.
The words "Skye" and "Awnings" should not appear in the same sentence unless a "not" is included. They can be used when it is a bit breezy but only with a tie-down kit.
The awning itself might be one of these.

https://www.fiammaonline.com/fiamma-f45s-awning/#

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Too late now l know but never, ever, use a wind out awning without tie-downs even on a still day. It takes one gust ...........

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I doubt the awning is repairable, we had a similar problem with our Autosleeper and Omnistor awning. The wind took it over the top of the van and planted it the other side. The awning looked fine apart from a broken leg, but wouldn't wind in. Luckily, it was roof mounted on a bracket, not bolted through the wall, and no damage was done to the bracket or roof
A replacement 4m awning was around £650 delivered, I was told it was not repairable for less than a new one.
The wall will need a professional repair especially if the new awning is going to be mounted safely on it.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Exactly the same thing happened to us years ago. On a day that was not even windy incidently, it was a freak gust!

We had to have the awning and the bracket plates were replaced which only involved emptying the cupboards. Johns Cross did it and although we claimed on the insurance I think the bill was just over £900. It will depend on how similar the damage is. Our awning flipped clear up over the roof :(

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Are we talking real expense?
I'm afraid so..

New awning and wall panel replaced .. for a proper job at a dealer, I would guesstimate not much change out of £2k

perhaps his insurance would cover it ?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
By the look of the bracket that has pulled through and the angle the bolts are at there will probably be damage on the outside of the wall as well. And that definitely needs professional repairs, otherwise it will start to leak and that will end up causing even more damage.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Too late now l know but never, ever, use a wind out awning without tie-downs even on a still day. It takes one gust ...........

We get so many customers who buy tie downs or our leg plates after having a disaster. A 4 mtr awning costs over £800 on its own so the cost of tie downs is tiny.

You have got away quite lightly as if it had blown over onto the roof you would have had a bill running into thousands.

The awning and brackets needs removing then the inner damage needs filling with car body filler. You would then need some larger metal spreader plates for inside paint the spreader plate to match the interior then re-drill the old holes through the filler from the outside, drill the new plate and re bolt on the bracket adding sikaflex underneath to stop leaks.

You would need to examine the awning and find which parts are broken and or bent and replace if available. If you cant repair it you need a replacement Fiamma F45

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We get so many customers who buy tie downs or our leg plates after having a disaster. A 4 mtr awning costs over £800 on its own so the cost of tie downs is tiny.

You have got away quite lightly as if it had blown over onto the roof you would have had a bill running into thousands.

The awning and brackets needs removing then the inner damage needs filling with car body filler. You would then need some larger metal spreader plates for inside paint the spreader plate to match the interior then re-drill the old holes through the filler from the outside, drill the new plate and re bolt on the bracket adding sikaflex underneath to stop leaks.

You would need to examine the awning and find which parts are broken and or bent and replace if available. If you cant repair it you need a replacement Fiamma F45

Yep that’s exactly what was done to ours (with a replacement awning) over 6 years ago. Is been fine since and of course it is always secured in some way.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Car body filler being styrene based will melt the polystyrene in the wall and cause a hard spot stress raiser, needs a foam Bloch and epoxy in my view.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back