Damage to a hired motorhome...help! (1 Viewer)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you paid by card speak to your card issuer.
Check your car or home policy, you may have legal on that.
Else seek a good legal company that deals with motor claims
It does look like you are limited to £1,000 excess only.
It could be hire company had messed up and are bullying you into paying what you dont owe.
Terms and conditions look bad. Hi6w can you be responsible for the whole cost of the vehicle if its stolen?? That's why you have insurance
All seems very fishy to me. Make sure they dont use your card details to take money off you.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
You may not be able to post more questions here as you only get 5 posts free. It’s £15 to join - well worth it I think!

OP
OP
FlashGordon

FlashGordon

Free Member
Sep 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hire
Exp
Thanks everyone for your help.

We’ve had another message from the hire company who have reiterated that we will be liable for ALL repair costs etc. Unfortunately we didn’t report it to the police so apparently they can’t claim insurance, however, we do have evidence in the form of text messages in which we immediately asked them what we should do and they didn’t ask us to report it to the police.

Not only that, they are also claiming that if they do have to claim on the insurance, WE will be liable to pay the increase in their future insurance premiums!!

I have a meeting with a solicitor early next so will keep everyone update. I’ll also share the details of the company to make sure nobody else has to go through this.

I’ve attached a picture of the bodywork damage that we’ve been told might require a new panel - little black mark on the left.
3E3807B5-4761-4641-8160-392125ACAD5B.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Why do I suspect that the Hire company is a one man band, with his own motorhome that he’s just decided to hire out as it’s “easy money”, and that this is his first time......

Not a chance in hell that you are liable for all that!

Jim

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that looks like a right piss take by a non professional hire company. the T&Cs are an alarm that they are not genuine

your liability is the deposit and possibly excess, but as a business they must have full commercial insurance, which I very much doubt

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
As others have said, I'd be astonished if a no-injury parking scrape had to be reported to the police? That doesn't make any sense - you usually need the police involved for theft, as some form of independent verification - in this case the damage is clear and easy for anyone to see.

Claiming for a new panel is also a complete and utter try-on. Tell him/them to go take a flying jump

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Not only that, they are also claiming that if they do have to claim on the insurance, WE will be liable to pay the increase in their future insurance premiums!!

Good idea to chat to a lawyer.

The damage looks to be covered by your excess anyway so they already have most of the money for that, I can't why they are trying so hard to create a fuss from this - it doesn't seem a very smart way to run a hire business.

See what the lawyer suggests, but independent proof that the repair exceeds £1000 would in my view be required in order to extract money from you.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Two window ,even big ones do not cost that much to replace they are trying on the old trick of charging a lot for nothing and doing little to fix it. Why would it need to be transported to a repairer when it has been driven on the continent? I would probably fix it in a day ,but not seeing it cannot be sure except from you description . Hire companies will always try it on and leave the mark to catch the next person that doesn’t notice it.
You need an independent loss adjuster to look at it.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Looks like it got hit with a mirror unless someone tried to force the window. They are having a giraffe with their estimate. MH is probably on finance and not rented out for the rest of the season so they thought they would try it on. No way does it need a new side on it. As others have said get a Solicitor to tell them to get stuffed. Window looks like it is a slide in version so should not take long to fix. As for transporting it to a workshop what a laugh.

We have rented electronic systems out for many years. Sometimes things go pear shaped it's just part of business. The customer always comes first. You get it sorted and the customer is happy you have it sorted. He may have had a bill but he is happy you didn't stitch him up over it. Next thing you know he is expanding and he orders more equipment and then recommends you to friends. Nothing like a recommendation.

Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
It sounds to me Re insurance premiums they don’t want to claim as it effects their premium so want you to pay the repair bill / losses instead.

I bet you could have it fixed for the £1000 if you took it somewhere yourself. It’s not hard as others have said to do it yourself if you can get the parts. It would be a lot cheaper.

And if you have legal aid / cover as part of a car or home insurance policy they will sometimes deal with other non related issues or provide free legal advice as they did once for me if you ask. Saved solicitor costs.

Good luck.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Request in writing a copy of the insurance policy and schedules that the hire firm had in force at the time, and a copy of all claim documents, repair estimates, correspondence and emails between the hire firm and its insurers. Say you need these so you can obtain independent legal advice.

Check your motor insurance and house insurance to see if you have a legal costs cover policy extension that would apply to your situation. If so, you may be referred to a law firm that is on the insurer's panel and you cannot choose your own preferred solicitor.

You also need a copy of the hire contract you signed and receipt for your deposit. Give all of these documents to the solicitor (keeping a full copy set for yourself) then get proper advice when he or she has had an opportunity to read all the relevant T&Cs etc. and has checked the applicable law.

Don't wing it.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Thanks everyone for your help.

We’ve had another message from the hire company who have reiterated that we will be liable for ALL repair costs etc. Unfortunately we didn’t report it to the police so apparently they can’t claim insurance, however, we do have evidence in the form of text messages in which we immediately asked them what we should do and they didn’t ask us to report it to the police.

I have a meeting with a solicitor early next so will keep everyone update. I’ll also share the details of the company to make sure nobody else has to go through this.

I’ve attached a picture of the bodywork damage that we’ve been told might require a new panel - little black mark on the left.View attachment 329263
this work will take no more than 20 min to fix and a rub with T cut
remove the screws from window opener slide out old window slide in new window
bill

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Surely that's why it's insured, get Legal advice as they are probably claiming for loss of Hiring, which again they should have covered themselves for, we did in case our Garage burnt down ,
you paid for Insurance it's down to them as I see it. Good Luck , it's a lesson for all of us .

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Are we allowed to know how you got on?..or does your second sentence say it all!

'This was our first time hiring a motorhome and WE decided to take it to France for 2 weeks '

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
It's probably been repaired already and out on another hire.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Nope his name is in green but he does have one post left.
Ah, I wasn't aware of the significance of the colour of the print. I thought the presence of an Avatar indicated a subscriber. Obviously not. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hopefully the OP has managed to got sorted and give the hire place short shrift ... we'll probably never know.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Always a bit sad when it all goes very quiet. Love to know what happens in these cases but guess we never will.

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Maybe lawyer told him not to post as could jeopardise the litigation if any ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back