Damage to a hired motorhome...help! (2 Viewers)

FlashGordon

Free Member
Sep 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hire
Exp
Hi all,

Looking for some advice if possible regarding a motorhome we hired recently for a trip to France.

This was our first time hiring a motorhome and we decided to take it to France for 2 weeks (perhaps a case of running before you can walk). We chose to spend our first few nights stopping at aires, one of which was near the beach in the South. Unfortunately, following a pleasant day at the beach, we returned to the aire to find that someone had hit the side of our van, knocking out the bathroom window and damaging the bedroom window. Apparently nobody seen anything, however, we reported this immediately to the hire company and sent some pictures of the damage. The company asked if we needing anything, which we didn't as we had taped up the window and we continued with the holiday as normal, trying to forget the damage!

We returned last week and took the van back to the company. The member of staff had a look at the windows and agreed that there was no damage to the bodywork so it shouldn't be too expensive. We had paid a £750 damage deposit and the insurance has an excess of £1000.

I completely understand that they can keep the deposit and claim another £250 if necessary to cover the insurance excess, however, they are now claiming damage to the bodywork (there's a slight black mark no bigger than a match). They don't appear to be claiming on the insurance and have advised that we'll need to pay for the new windows, fitting, delivery, bodywork repair, transport to the garage and any time the motorhome is off the road. This could take around 8 weeks so we'd be looking at over £10,000!!!!

My understanding was that most we would ever need to pay is the £1000 excess i.e. our £750 deposit plus another £250. This is of course causing my wife and I some stress as we don't have that kind of money to throw around. Can they do this?

Thanks for your help.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Without the exact details of the insurance policy it's difficult to comment but as others have said I think they are trying it on,or maybe they have found their insurance isn't what they thought it was!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Did they offer you Collision Damage Waiver insurance? You say the “insurance” has a £1000 excess. If so,that’s your limit.
Did you decline to take out this insurance?
If so,is there a record of that in your contract?
As previously advised,if they don’t clarify for you,or if they want more money,go to a solicitor,or Citizens Advjce Bureau initially.

OP
OP
FlashGordon

FlashGordon

Free Member
Sep 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hire
Exp
Thank you. I think we'll need to get some legal advice. We were never offered a CDW specifically, we were just told that we were insured for damage or theft as per their terms and conditions and we signed and agreed to these conditions. Apparently they're a new company and we were the first (and probably last) to take it abroad!

This is what's written in their terms and conditions:

The Vehicle is insured for theft and damage to the Vehicle and the property of a third party; but does not include any personal insurance for the customer (including death or bodily injury to the driver) or cover any personal possessions. The vehicle insurance is arranged by ** The hire rate quoted includes a standard excess of GB £1000.00 per accident, reported incident or Vehicle theft. In the event of any damage to either the vehicle or third party property, the hirer will be liable for the first GB £1000.00 per claim. In the event of the theft of the Vehicle, the hirer will be liable for the full cost of the Vehicle; once a theft has been reported to both ** and the police, a claim will be lodged with the insurer. The keys must be returned to **. Should the insurer accept the claim and agrees to reimburse ** for the cost of the Vehicle, the liability to the hirer will reduce to the first GB £1000.00 of the claim (excess). Please note: if the keys are not returned to **, the insurer will not accept the claim and liability for the full cost of the vehicle will remain with the hirer.

You are aware that:
  • The Vehicle is insured for damage to the Vehicle and the property of a third party; but does not include any personal insurance for the customer or their possessions
  • Standard Insurance does not cover overhead damage. The hirer will be responsible for the cost to repair all damages
  • You will have to pay an excess for any Insurance claim regardless of which party is at fault for the accident. The insurance excess is £1000.00 per claim, not per rental
  • You will not have any insurance cover and you will be responsible for the total cost of any damage if you breach any of the terms of this Agreement
  • You will be responsible for any damage caused through gross negligence

In the event of any accident, loss or damage arising out of the use of the vehicle, you will:
  • Notify ** within 24hrs of the happening of the event
  • Obtain the names and addresses of third parties and any witnesses and report the event to the nearest police station
  • Complete an accident claim form as supplied
  • Not make any admission of liability to other parties, settlement offer or other like offer
  • Assist ** in handling any claim arising from any event, including providing all relevant information and attending Court to give evidence if required.
  • You acknowledge that the excess or other amount due by you in respect of any damage arising from an accident, loss or damage is payable at the time of reporting the event and not at the completion of the rental period, regardless of which party is at fault
  • You will pay for any costs relating to the delivery of a change over vehicle as a result of an accident regardless of which party is at fault
  • No security deposit or insurance excess will be refunded until claim is settled

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If it was an attempted forced entry, did the insurance cover require a police statement (which was possibly buried in the small print of the terms and conditions)?

Edit: my post coincided with yours above - and I note there is reference to a requirement for a police report - did you get a report?

Is the £10,000 indicated a typo on their part ie one to many zeros?

All sounds very unpleasant, in any case. Hope you can get it sorted without too much further grief.

OP
OP
FlashGordon

FlashGordon

Free Member
Sep 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hire
Exp
mikebeaches we didn't get a police report. When we called the company we explained that we didn't think it was forced entry as nothing was stolen (my laptop and phone were in there). It was also late at night and the middle of nowhere.

We asked them what we should do and they advised us to carry on as normal.

The £10,000 relates to the 'off-road' time for repair. They've advised possibly 8 weeks at a cost of £150 a day.

It's a real shame as we loved the experience - maybe look in to buying in future!

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I wonder if their insurance covered for the vehicle being taken abroad. Bit worrying to establish that after the event :(

Also wonder if they even have the right type of policy reflecting the vehicle is being hired. Standard policies for most owners won't cover loss from not being able to use the vehicle, but a commercial policy should have also allowed loss of business and such like.

All in all however rely on that £1,000 excess as your limit of liability. The proviso is that you must have complied with the t&cs, especially the one about reporting to the local police as if you didn't comply the insurance could have been breached leaving you high and dry.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
leaving you high and dry

They should still have the option of getting it repaired themselves, I can't see any need for them to accept the hire companies bizarre prices and times - find a decent repairer and it can't be much more than the £1000 they've already been held up for.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They are trying it on your Max liability is £1000. If will cost them £500 or £600 for the windows and take less than ½ hour to fit each one.
You can't get CDW on a Motorhome.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Seek legal advice. Nothing else would be advisable.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
mikebeaches we didn't get a police report. When we called the company we explained that we didn't think it was forced entry as nothing was stolen (my laptop and phone were in there). It was also late at night and the middle of nowhere.

We asked them what we should do and they advised us to carry on as normal.

The £10,000 relates to the 'off-road' time for repair. They've advised possibly 8 weeks at a cost of £150 a day.

It's a real shame as we loved the experience - maybe look in to buying in future!
get advice but thats should be covered under insurance is this in the contract off road time if not tell them to piss off
would be well worth talking to your own insurance company leagil teem
it a slide in window thier taking the piss 15 min job
bill

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Says £1000 per incident —- that’s the extent of your liability, unless the insurance was UK only and they were unaware you’d gone to France.
I’d copy their insurance paperwork, highlight the relevant parts and send it to them with a cheque for £250. Point out that £750 plus £250 equals the £1000 of your liability.
They are taking the pi^^.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The t’s&c’s are extremely odd. Firstly they state that the vehicle is covered for theft or damage then they say that In the event of the theft, the hirer will be liable for the full cost of the vehicle.

Have I got that right? If I have, then I’m surprised they have any customer at all.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The t’s&c’s are extremely odd. Firstly they state that the vehicle is covered for theft or damage then they say that In the event of the theft, the hirer will be liable for the full cost of the vehicle.

Have I got that right? If I have, then I’m surprised they have any customer at all.
I read that as being if the hirer hadn't got both the keys, which is standard practice on stolen vehicles.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I’m pretty sure BBC Watchdog did an article about motorhome hire companies, they might be interested in your case.
but, as others have said, you need proper legal advice before you do anything.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I'd have a word with Trading Standards in the first instance, before going to the expense of a lawyer.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Legal advice legal advice legal advice PRONTO!!

The only way they'd get out of those terms and conditions is if you broke them yourself...
did you break them?
by say for example taking it out of the country if that was not part of the hire agreement perhaps?

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
As others have said, it seems like a fairly standard set of insurance terms, which as long as you didn't breach them by taking it abroad, means you are only liable up to £1000.

The long list they have come up with to justify the extra cost is nothing to do with you - thats what insurance is there for. You could get legal advice, but my first question back to them would be to ask them to explain to me clearly, in Daily Mirror speak, why your insurance company is not picking up the tab for all the costs over £1000..?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back