Damage repairs and replacement bikerack (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hello everyone,
We were travelling up to north Norfolk last Weds in heavy rain when the truck behind us failed to brake in time and slid into the rear of our Hymer, smashing off the Fiamma 4 bike rack and damaging the last bike on the rack and causing some panel damage to the rear of the van, thankfully nothing serious enough to end the trip. Aside from the issues I'm having with the Camping and Caravan club insurers, who seem to be incapable of recognising that ordinary car repair shops cannot handle large vehicles, I now need to source a supplier and fitter for a replacement bike rack, hopefully not too far from where we live (near Truro in Cornwall). Any suggestions/experience of a good one would be welcome!

OP
OP
HymerB544
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
That's a shame!

I can suggest a possible repair centre with very high ratings near Tavistock, West Devon called Tavistock Caravans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd speak to your local Hymer dealer to ask about approved accident repairers.

It's your decision on who carries out the work.

I'd also get the bike rack fitted by an approved dealer too.

Best of luck

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
You have my every sympathy. A couple of years ago on an site I very gently ( but with great determination) backed into a tree. The tree was stationary at the time.
The bike rack was bent, the bikes were bent and one arm of the rack had very delicately entered the bedroom. What would have happened if another vehicle had been involved!?!
Clearly I couldn't claim from the tree so there was lots of unbending and visits to an (eventually) helpful repair depot.
Good luck, you have my sympathy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I don't think your bike rack is a Fiamma product. It is called a Multi-Talent bike rack which is fitted to Hymers.

If you need to replace the rack then check out the Movera website and you should be able to download the catalogue.

I had to replace mine on my Hymer after reversing it into the house. I bought it in Germany at a Movera outlet near Hymer HQ for 200 Euro.

OP
OP
HymerB544
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just a suggestion but it the bikes are carbon frames worth checking there are no hairline cracks from the knocks they received.
Thanks for your helpful replies everyone. I have had the bikes checked by the local bike shop (owner happens to be a member of our village cycling group). My carbon bike, which was on the inside, was not damaged, but Sue's alloy is still being checked, though even I could see the back wheel was buckled and the cassette and derailleur mech was bent. I won't bore you all with the ongoing saga with Equity Red Star. Suffice to say I have threatened to have the van recovered back to the repairer I last used in YORKSHIRE at their expense if they don't quickly find me an "approved" agent down here. There are at least two in Cornwall who display the C and CC logo on their websites. Although seemingly barely marked, the rear panel of the van will be an expensive job on its own, as it is I believe GRP and the colour is metallic blue. Then of course there is the fitting of a new rack. I've also written to the C and CC asking them what they think of their insurers performance. And a special thank you for the tip about my carbon framed Specialized and the type of bike rack on my van. I must confess I just assumed it was a Fiamma!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back