Daft question >3500kgs in Europe (1 Viewer)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Hi PJGWiltshire this is my first trip over there in THIS van @4250kg. My previous (first) van was sub 3500kg so it was just a case of vignettes and normal speed limits etc. I do have LPG (Alugas) with all the adapters, solar with MPPT and two 110 gels, so I’m not reliant on EHU. We have lots of other stuff (I have a tonne of payload to play with👍😁). However in addition to all our everyday stuff, I have just found a checklist on t’internet which I will use in future.
In pre motorhome days I spent 20 years doing two European tours a year on the Harley, oblivious to all the rules and regs regarding motorhomes, but it gave me a sound knowledge of traversing various countries, my favourite of course being Austria, closely followed by Germany, but after this tour, the next will be trying out being an FLT (a lá Lenny HB ) in France😬😬😬
Good for you. Plan a trip and tun left at Calais and keep going. Norway and the Scandinavian countries are just memorable. Also fantastic wilding so the expense is offset by not having to pay campsite fees so it’s 5000 miles there and back you will never retreat it. Make sure you have the time. May through to July is fir the midnight sun

Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
Im about to embark on my maiden >3500kgs transeurope tour (when travel permits) and just wondered what “different” bits I’ll need to take with me. I know all the document stuff, but what I’m unsure of is whether I need TWO red triangles and an orange flashing light/beacon and if so, where’s the best place to obtain one.🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️ Also is there something else I’ve forgot?
All these things you need to carry with you.
do the the French carry all these things

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
All these things you need to carry with you.
do the the French carry all these things
Probably not, who knows, but I am NOT prepared to line any coppers pockets by not having things I should have. I’ve been pulled a few times on the Harley over the years in Austria and Germany and produced everything they asked for, even getting down on our knees to show him the EU mark underneath my exhaust mufflers as he was prepared to give me a fine for non compliant exhausts😉

On a lighter note I ordered some chocks Saturday night and they turned up this morning, they are rubber and bloody heavy, good job I’ve got lots of payload.😉👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I am not putting stickers on my van. Because that means that you are over 3500kgs. Pay more on the tolls?🤫🤫

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
So a new game when in the Uk. Spot the UK registered van, warning unaware british cyclist the danger of cycling with their eyes closed and undertaking! . :LOL::LOL:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Yea, I read that thread also, came away with the distinct impression they were needed for all vehicles over 3.5 tonne with UK number Plates, The French however will do as they like;)
LES.
Yes but the French will probably get away with it, us Brits won’t I’m sure.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Just as well you got a bigger payload as you’ll need it 😂😂
Yes, when I’ve saved enough pennies up and I can get full air suspension and the dvla are back to normal (well, like they was before last March) I might up plate, I think I might be able to go up to 4500kgs on my fiat maxi chassis (with uprated tyres on of course)👍

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Debatable I've seen one French site that s ays non French vehicles need them all the other sites say only for French registered vehicles.
French assume all Motorhomes are 3.5t anyway, I'm not going to bother.

The question of whether British vans had to display these French stickers was asked on MMM magazine last month, and MMM response was Yes British vans over 3.5t must display them also. Their replies to reader enquiries have always been reliable in the past...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The question of whether British vans had to display these French stickers was asked on MMM magazine last month, and MMM response was Yes British vans over 3.5t must display them also. Their replies to reader enquiries have always been reliable in the past...
Not interested in what British sites say as things often get interpreted wrong.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I am not putting stickers on my van. Because that means that you are over 3500kgs. Pay more on the tolls?🤫🤫
rules and regulations don't apply to me gov

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Im about to embark on my maiden >3500kgs transeurope tour (when travel permits) and just wondered what “different” bits I’ll need to take with me. I know all the document stuff, but what I’m unsure of is whether I need TWO red triangles and an orange flashing light/beacon and if so, where’s the best place to obtain one.🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️ Also is there something else I’ve forgot?
Don’t forget your bulging wallet :rofl:

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
Well as I have said I’ve order them but guess what still not come yet . We’ve been told some time in April
happy days

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back