Daft question >3500kgs in Europe (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
New stickers for Spain do you stick them over the French ones, or beside them. 😁

😉 ángeles muertos 🙄
I'm glad we are 3.5t it could end up like having the motorhome wrapped if you travel too far. 😁 Bob.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
At home i must have at least 10 pair of specs laying around the house, can i find any when i won't them..........guess.
'Friends, Romans and countrymen, lens me your glasses, for I come from Bury to see Caesar. not to rear end him' [in a collision ...] ;) :unsure: Gaius Maximus [now he IS a big lad]

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
With these new Angles Mort stickers what is the maximum height you can stick it ? Just thinking of getting laminated ones to put on the inside of my A class windows as magnetic will not work.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
With these new Angles Mort stickers what is the maximum height you can stick it ? Just thinking of getting laminated ones to put on the inside of my A class windows as magnetic will not work.
They have to be in certain places you cant stick them anywhere. 😁

How about one of these on the back. 🤔 Bob

Screenshot_20210313-131457_Chrome.jpg

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Bit early for the drink innit Marchie?
Sadly, Bob, I don't drink, so I have absolutely no excuse; save to say that I did post in my introduction that I don't take seriously unless I have to ;) I'm proud of the fact that a former work colleague wrote inmy Leaving Card that he 'would miss my humour, which never really progressed beyond the 3rd Form' ....

I just need to learn to spell 'puerile' and then I'm all set ...

Steve

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
The French have produced a diagram showing the precise location of each sticker, depending on whether it is a Bus. lorry, m/home etc. More 'chic' than 'stick' I think.

Steve

pj650

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 14, 2010
Gretna. Dumfriesshire.
Funster No
MH
Bürstner t740
Exp
Motorhoming since 2002
My comment was meant tongue in cheek. Sorry if it didn’t come across that way. If that’s the law in France then of course I shall gladly comply.
Agree with everything you say.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Some routes that are off the toll roads are limited to 3.5t. You see the signs on the motorway where a place is signed but with a 3.5t limit on the sign. Not a biggie but worth bearing in mind. Some bridges on minor routes might be limited to 3.5t and also some villages have it to keep HGVs on the trunk roads.
And you can ignore those that have a pictogram of a truck ( which is the majority) as they don't apply to MH's

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Thanks for the comments although I’m very aware of most of them, glasses Hi Viz etc, some of them are well worth mentioning again for anyone new. I like to think of myself as fully prepared, hence the questions but I wasn’t aware of the chocks for over 4T and still kinda trying to find the requirements for the orange beacon etc.
I don’t think I will need Angles Mort stickers as I usually exit the Chunnel, turn left and hot foot it to Belgium . The countries on my list on this trip are mainly Germany Austria and Croatia. France Belgium and Slovenia will be purely for transit through.
I will transit through Austria avoiding the toll roads (I know Austria like the back of my hand😉) and also Slovenia. Once again thanks for the comments, I hope they are informative for others, especially the newbies just setting foot on the continent.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Couple of years ago the Frogs wanted you to carry a breathalyser test kit or 2. Think it died a death.
It did get cancelled, but retailers like Halfords and eBay sellers still claim they are mandatory, they are not.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Ive read a lot about these, seen a few on the EE trucks over here.

If a cyclist cannot see a Motorhome that is 12 ft tall and 8 ft wide and painted white, is he /she going to see a piddly little yellow sticker? And should they really be out on their own?
Agree, moreover, if a cyclist is trying to read it to work out what it's saying there's a good chance they will lose concentration and be in even more danger.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a cunning plan. Stick some self adhesive magnets to the motorhome in appropriate positions and then get magnetic stickers as required for each country and swap over as necessary.
A-class so no steel bits.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Same happened to us in Slovenia, 1st border waved us through ( she was on the phone ) 2nd border teeming with cops, who wanted cash !! They got VERY angry when I insisted on paying by card !!
Then one of the cops came over with fistfuls of cash she had collected from all the other cars and stuffed it into a big box on the floor of their van. Nice little earner !
The woman at the 1st border post was obviously in on it and got her cut!
Ba$€%#ds. !! 300 Euros !!
Mitch
I remember pulling up at the toll in Slovenia just before Italy. The wife presented our credit card to be given a very stern "NIET, CASH" from the woman in uniform... we'd virtually no cash..took us ages counting all the coins. she wasn't very impressed. much easier now as they use the toll tag system. Another one to add to the windscreen.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
HGV's. They do actually have blind spots, most MH's do not.

When I'm sat in a Lorry, if you stood directly next to the passenger door or even next to the front panel I wouldnt be able to see you through the window/windscreen. When I turn left I lose sight of the right side of the trailer and vice versa. These are blind spots, the number of MH's that have the same problem is very very small.
not a subject for debate, the French have ruled ... end of. I am a recently retired HGV driver of too many years and concur with your comments re- HGVs

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
I have a cunning plan. Stick some self adhesive magnets to the motorhome in appropriate positions and then get magnetic stickers as required for each country and swap over as necessary.
A-class so no steel bits.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi vis vests or jackets need to be inside the motorhome and not in garage or outside locker as must be on when exit motorhome

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
From your post If it’s your first trip over the channel or is it your first with larger vehicle If it’s your 1st ever trip Have you got all your everyday MH living bits in order. If you have refillable LPG bottles do you have the filling adapters, the continental connection for EHU

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
From your post If it’s your first trip over the channel or is it your first with larger vehicle If it’s your 1st ever trip Have you got all your everyday MH living bits in order. If you have refillable LPG bottles do you have the filling adapters, the continental connection for EHU
Hi PJGWiltshire this is my first trip over there in THIS van @4250kg. My previous (first) van was sub 3500kg so it was just a case of vignettes and normal speed limits etc. I do have LPG (Alugas) with all the adapters, solar with MPPT and two 110 gels, so I’m not reliant on EHU. We have lots of other stuff (I have a tonne of payload to play with👍😁). However in addition to all our everyday stuff, I have just found a checklist on t’internet which I will use in future.
In pre motorhome days I spent 20 years doing two European tours a year on the Harley, oblivious to all the rules and regs regarding motorhomes, but it gave me a sound knowledge of traversing various countries, my favourite of course being Austria, closely followed by Germany, but after this tour, the next will be trying out being an FLT (a lá Lenny HB ) in France😬😬😬

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back