Daft question >3500kgs in Europe (1 Viewer)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Im about to embark on my maiden >3500kgs transeurope tour (when travel permits) and just wondered what “different” bits I’ll need to take with me. I know all the document stuff, but what I’m unsure of is whether I need TWO red triangles and an orange flashing light/beacon and if so, where’s the best place to obtain one.🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️ Also is there something else I’ve forgot?

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Depending on the country, they are not all the same.
Some countries want 2 triangles.
If you wear glasses you must carry a spare pair.
Almost everywhere you need a yellow jacket; each.
Fire extinguisher in some places.
First aid kit in most places.
In France and Germany there are special window stickers required if you wish to visit some cities. (Crit Aire in France) not expensive and one purchase for life.
Not essential anywhere but something to help get out of sand or mud.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
New rule in France now over 3500kg you need "angles morte" stickers. A few threads on here about them.
Yea, I read that thread also, came away with the distinct impression they were needed for all vehicles over 3.5 tonne with UK number Plates, The French however will do as they like;)
LES.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
In some countries you will need a transponder tag for travel on motorways , sticker will not be compliant .
over 4000kg in Germany 2 wheel chocks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
New rule in France now over 3500kg you need "angles morte" stickers. A few threads on here about them.
Debatable I've seen one French site that s ays non French vehicles need them all the other sites say only for French registered vehicles.
French assume all Motorhomes are 3.5t anyway, I'm not going to bother.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Couple of years ago the Frogs wanted you to carry a breathalyser test kit or 2. Think it died a death.

pj650

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 14, 2010
Gretna. Dumfriesshire.
Funster No
MH
Bürstner t740
Exp
Motorhoming since 2002
As far as I am aware a hi viz jacket is required only for each person or crew member travelling in the vehicle. I certainly won’t be carrying four when there only two of us in the van.
As for glasses, if you need them for driving, your licence will have code 01 in column 12. You are required to carry a spare pair. Makes sense to me.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It's like when the speed stickers law came in, some couldn't wait to stick them on their motorhomes, 🤔 why would you want something that means absolutely nothing in your country stuck all over your pride and joy. 🙄😁

If your desperate for a French sticker how about this one. 😎 Bob.

Screenshot_20210313-084613_Chrome.jpg

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
😉 But my advice is don't stick any on until you see a Frenchman with them. 😁 Bob.

Yea, I read that thread also, came away with the distinct impression they were needed for all vehicles over 3.5 tonne with UK number Plates, The French however will do as they like;)
LES.
Seen numerous French motorhomes and HGV's sporting the "angle mort" stickers. Wonder if following "your advice" you would offer to pay any fines incurred for following such ?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If carry bikes on the back and going to Spain or Italy you need a striped board on the back

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If carry bikes on the back and going to Spain or Italy you need a striped board on the back
It needs to be an aluminium one for Italy and don't forget to turn it through 90° in the UK so the stripes point to the offside.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Depending on the country, they are not all the same.
Some countries want 2 triangles.
If you wear glasses you must carry a spare pair.
Almost everywhere you need a yellow jacket; each.
Fire extinguisher in some places.
First aid kit in most places.
In France and Germany there are special window stickers required if you wish to visit some cities. (Crit Aire in France) not expensive and one purchase for life.
Not essential anywhere but something to help get out of sand or mud.
German emissions sticker is also for life

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Did I read somewhere about wheel chocks being required? Don’t know and probably my random brain ticking away.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Some routes that are off the toll roads are limited to 3.5t. You see the signs on the motorway where a place is signed but with a 3.5t limit on the sign. Not a biggie but worth bearing in mind. Some bridges on minor routes might be limited to 3.5t and also some villages have it to keep HGVs on the trunk roads.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Can't quote where or when I read it but a spare pair of specs was removed from the list needed in Spain last year.
Nevertheless a very good idea to carry them along. Having recently lost mine whilst “hedging and ditching” in the garden recently,I was very glad of a spare set,even if they were based in an old prescription they would have been good enough for driving.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
You need 2 red triangles for Spain whatever your weight - I think 🙂
Don’t forget the yellow jackets - we use bright yellow cycling jackets to double up.
In Spain you'll need 2 red triangles, and, if you wear specs, you should also have a spare pair with you. In France, the HiVis vests must be accessible from inside the car; most French hang them over the ba ck of the chair [unless you're off to a gilet jaune protest when you roll the Vest up into a towel roll [think swimming pool!] and wedge it in the corner of the dashboard]. And Angles Mort stickers?

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back