Dad's motorcycle combination towing a caravan in Devon .. (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i also have 2 of those corker helmets one is brand new unused the other my mum wore on her honda 50. they were ex police my dad got them when the old police station in bodmin was being moved . they are white . .
i really must get rid of lots of stuff but they all have memories . got tents from the 1950,s my parents bought . still have my first pup tent that must have been bought in about 1960. ex army camp beds you name i could start a museum . ha ha .

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
its the story behind every one:rolleyes:
thanks..

still remember these trips..
especially the long drive.. From Refrewshire, to Cornwall.. about 550 miles, three or four days travelling there and back.. for a two week holiday..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its surprising just how much ex MOD stuff found its way into civi street years ago. I had until recently a pair of flying boots and an Avirex flying jacket. Both ex USAF and highly collectable now, sold last year on the bay. The quality of that stuff could never be matched today. The jacket was so heavy it would give you round shoulders wearing it. My father always wore KDs for work, I favoured moleskin for hard wearing. I still have a pair of DMS 8 lace hole boots somewhere.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jim .heres some pics of a old bus my dad took us abroad in about 61-62 i,m behind my mum and my brother is sat on my grans knee.cant remember what the make was but it was old then.
its good looking at old family picks . lots good memories . wish i knew where the cine camera films went to .

Attachments

• img118.jpg
    img118.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 40
  • img119.jpg
    img119.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I searched on Google maps to find where the second photo was taken.. plan to visit and take that same view..

Original Picture
IMG_0001.jpg

here it is on Google street view..

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 19.01.00.png

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I think this is, or very like, the one he had..

$_57.JPG
I had a Post Office issue over-jacket like that, but Plastic type material, as part of my uniform as a Bantam Boy in the early 60's it was lined with army wool blanket material. totally useless at keeping you warm or dry.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When You read posts like this You actually realise what a load of old foogies we actually are, the combined ages must be thousand s of years, but we STILL REMEMBER WHEN, in my days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as a young kid we were took to see cliff richard in summer holiday at the flicks . the year before we had visited just about all the places they went in the film. and more .
i admit summer holiday ,the film and the song are my favorites.
still sing it every time i start one of my travels abroad.
you cant beat good memories .
always fabcied a double decker but never got one .

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
While sifting through dad's old family photos, I found this one of us on holiday, it was taken around 1954 ..

On the back it says.. Typical hedges of Devon..

The motorcycle was a single pot Norton 500cc .

He built the 'caravan' at home in the back garden..very simple affair.. .. it had two fold down canvas hammock beds for me and my sister.. mum and dad slept on the floor on a double air bed.. The rear wall opened up to form a roof, it had two legs, with side screens to form a kitchen/ washing room..

My mum looks as if she is posing side saddle .. gauntlets on the roof of the sidecar.. you can just make out the pilots goggles on her forehead..

perhaps one of the first motorcycle combinations towing a caravan.. ?

View attachment 103703
Brilliant Jim,a true memory:)(y)
Brian & Jo

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The day I turned 16 I had the bike ready, the insurance in place, the bike taxed and MOT'd et etc..
I had a leather jacket and a pair of cherry reds but no matter how I tried I simply could not raise enough money for a smart bash hat
So my first legal on the rode ride saw me wearing a Corker helmet !

I did buy a Turbo Visor at some point, second hand off a 'mate'
Bloody thing was AWFUL as it made a terrible droning in the bash hat at anything over 20mph !

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
My mates dad gave me one of those as well. Not only was it the droning, but when you turned your head it had a gyroscopic effect. I wore it once and gave it back to him. Thanks, but no thanks :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The day I turned 16 I had the bike ready, the insurance in place, the bike taxed and MOT'd et etc..
I had a leather jacket and a pair of cherry reds but no matter how I tried I simply could not raise enough money for a smart bash hat
So my first legal on the rode ride saw me wearing a Corker helmet !

I did buy a Turbo Visor at some point, second hand off a 'mate'
Bloody thing was AWFUL as it made a terrible droning in the bash hat at anything over 20mph !
Wonderful device thought up by somebody looking at the storm window on a ship bridge. HOWEVER they did not have the facilities to balance the damn things and they could give you pogo vision from the vibration. until thety broke that is.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
While sifting through dad's old family photos, I found this one of us on holiday, it was taken around 1954 .

That picture says so much. No traffic and the aspirations of UK working man.

Now road packed with 4x4s which are not aspirations but "our rights" of the UK working man. Now look at our balance of payments / borrowing !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back