DAB radio tip of the day (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just fitted this Bobby Dazzler in the car. Was only about 23 quid. Comes with a little aerial you stick on the windscreen.

20190214_124816.jpg

You turn the band round to select the station, and that's it! It's got 70 odd stations at the minute. It also sports a USB charger socket round the back.

20190214_125502.jpg

Station name appears on the car radio.

20190214_125751.jpg

Might get another for the van, actually it's no good in Europe though so probably won't :ROFLMAO:

Jan 27, 2014
Herts
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2014, changed our MH 4 years ago
That looks interesting. Does it need any physical connection into the FM radio or does the DAB signal automatically transmit to the FM radio? I can see several similar ones on eBay. Can you send a link to the buyer you used please. I'd like to try this in our 4 year old Skoda which has 15 year old technology on the dashboard. What is the loose wire for? thanks, Carol

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
There are some DAB and DAB+ stations in Europe. From what I remember from my last trip to Germany in the car (MH hasn't got DAB), there were quite a lot of stations there. France and Spain both have some coverage but I don't know what stations are involved and I suspect it's based around cities rather than motorway/road networks.

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Hi Richard and Ann, correct me if I’m wrong but on your photo it shows DAB + isn’t that the new standard for all european countries and possibly the world. DAB only was the old standard in UK.
Regards
Colin

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Just fitted this Bobby Dazzler in the car. Was only about 23 quid. Comes with a little aerial you stick on the windscreen.

View attachment 283597
You turn the band round to select the station, and that's it! It's got 70 odd stations at the minute. It also sports a USB charger socket round the back.

View attachment 283605

Station name appears on the car radio.

View attachment 283606

Might get another for the van, actually it's no good in Europe though so probably won't :ROFLMAO:

So where did you purchase this little beauty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Been out in the car a few times now and reception isn't very good sometimes. I think we might be on the edge of the transmitter area because going east the reception is perfect but west the stations drop out.

Factory fitted ones are definitely better but you would expect that. It's great when stationary especially for 23 quid.

If you're prepared to wait the Chinese are selling them for £20 but if it arrives DOA it's more of a problem.

The only wire with it is the one pictured and it's to the aerial in the windscreen, it connects to the car radio using an FM transmitter that you tune into.

I'm going to ground the aerial better when I get round to it. At the moment it's like a sticky back piece of flexible copper stuck to the windscreen frame, I sanded the paint off first but there's still the glue under it.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that using an unlicensed FM transmitter in your vehicle is illegal in the UK. It may well be legal in the USA.

My recollection is that in about 2007 - 2008 Garmin briefly had on sale in the UK a version of its top model satnav that used FM to send its voice instructions to the car radio but had to discontinue importing that model.

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that using an unlicensed FM transmitter in your vehicle is illegal in the UK. It may well be legal in the USA.

My recollection is that in about 2007 - 2008 Garmin briefly had on sale in the UK a version of its top model satnav that used FM to send its voice instructions to the car radio but had to discontinue importing that model.

Devices like this that allow you to send music to your car stereo via radio have been around for years in the UK.

As understood it it’s related to the power output. These are u likely to reach outside of your cab never mind being able to set up a pirate radio station ;)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Good info ,but seller not got a good track record .some not arrived,or went Wong way
Had something similar (hands free to radio) had to get refund via ebay disputes
Implies UK seller but my money says based in China.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I fell for buying one of these, they are crap. As above, if you are stationary they work fine, get on the move they are nextdoor to useless.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I fell for buying one of these, they are crap. As above, if you are stationary they work fine, get on the move they are nextdoor to useless.

Yeah you can see why car manufacturers didn't take up DAB for years, it certainly needed work for mobile use. I remember my dad buying an FM radio for the car when at the time cars came with either no radio or a 'kerchunk' pushbutton AM radio. He was very disappointed in reception when on the move and sent it back.

I still think it's OK for 23 quid. Will keep me entertained while Ann is in Meadowhall shopping centre :rolleyes:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
This one, cost about the same from Amazon. It works great on the move or stationary. I have it plugged in to the Aux in of the radio, but it can also connect via FM transmitter
Nextbase Adapt DAB250 In-car DAB+ DAB Digital Radio with FM Digital Audio Adapter (Includes Fitting Kit, Cables & Active Antenna) Amazon product ASIN B0779GF8D8

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back