DAB Radio on the move, Disappointment or What? (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yea thanks @Lenny HB , the trouble I have is there is no way of tracing wiring back to the underside of the roof mounted aerial, being a Carthago they dont give you any clues, as there is not a visible wires underneath it as they are probably hiddeen inside roof lining and go behind the top cupboards and down the walls by routing out the furniture upstands before they put the sidewalls on in the factory.
I have e mailed Carthago Customer services and despite giving a full description of the radio reception problem and asking if The DVT roof whip aeriel was OK for DAB, I got a very short answer back that went something like, "Yes install your radio, connect aeriel and it will work" I asked my dealer workshop if they knew, and was recommended to do as they do in these situations ask for the technicla dept on the customer services page of the website:banghead:
I have found a 2.5mm single red cable roled up inside the dash, there is no 12V feed on it, maybe that powers up the DVT aeriel, for the radio, dont know yet.
The TV works in a strong signal area, with the TV sending up a 5v feed from the Avtex TV menu options.
I might try one more e-mail, maybe I will get a bit more help from another member of the technical team this time, wish me luck on that.
Les
If your are a member of the Carthago owners club have a word with George, if he doesn't know he will know someone who does.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
View attachment 271447 View attachment 271448 The kit I purchased you can see the dedicated Dab connector and the separate FM, speaking with the Staus manufacturer there is no need to power the unit to provide signal, I have run it down the wardrobe after removing the corner trim via the drivers side seating following the existing wiring I then removed the Fiat footwell trims and got it as far as the dash, tomorrow I can remove the dedicated tablet holder from above the radio and connect it up and give it a test, at the minute I don’t get radio 2 whilst stationary on the drive so will know immediately if there’s any improvement.
Looks like you are nearly there, wish I could trace and see the cables on our van as they are all hiden (see my answer to Lenny)on our van.
Good luck with the connections, hope you get the signal strength you wish for on DAB, others with your type of roof aerial will be pleased if it all works well.
Les

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
If your are a member of the Carthago owners club have a word with George, if he doesn't know he will know someone who does.
Yes we are currently members of COC, I just got find out who "George" is, as we are not on Facebook, might be a bit harder, I guess.
Thanks for the heads up though.
Les

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 15, 2018
Poynton, East Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My local radio dealer, Car & Home Audio in Macclesfield, says the reception problem is not with the vehicle aerial but the fact that when the national DAB transmitter service put up prices to broadcasters most of them transferred to local transmitter stations which charge less, but don’t have the power or range. Even BBC radio went local, so it looks like we’re stuck with frequent dead spots. Personally, I don’t think DAB is any better than FM, except for the variety of stations of which Gold, Magic, Smooth Extra and Chris Country are my favourites. Unfortunately, I can only get Chris Country when I’m parked in one particular spot on my friend’s farm near Poynton; on the plus side I can stay here whenever and for as long as I want and he doesn’t charge me a penny.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes we are currently members of COC, I just got find out who "George" is, as we are not on Facebook, might be a bit harder, I guess.
Thanks for the heads up though.
Les
I can get a contact for you, George started the club handed over the rains last year. Standing next to his best mate at a dancing lesson at the moment but he is not a Carthago man.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I can get a contact for you, George started the club handed over the rains last year. Standings next to his best mate at a dancing lesson at the moment but he is not a Carthago man.
Yes please @Lenny HB if you can get a contact number or e-mail for Georgethat would be great.
You carry on this dance lesson lark and I will expect to see you on Strictly next year, you will do well with all The Funster votes:xgrin:
Les

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes please @Lenny HB if you can get a contact number or e-mail for Georgethat would be great.
You carry on this dance lesson lark and I will expect to see you on Strictly next year, you will do well with all The Funster votes:xgrin:
Les
Allways put on a good show on the dance floors at the Newbury Retro Festival. :xsmile:

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
We will hopefully see you there this year, hope they have better level dancefloors put in for you this year, I know you were not impressed last year. looking forward to going, but too early to book it yet.
PS: Bring George from COC with you, he can help me with the Carthago DVT aeriel info.:xgrin:
Les

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have a Swift Select PVC, 2018, and the DAB radio works well, where there is reception .

Unfortunately we have occasionally come across areas where there is no reception at all.

Until the DAB “roll out” is complete there will always be black spots.

The myth of DAB supremacy is looked jaded.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I've been using DAB for about the last 10 years and love it, the aerial is important, but it is also very susceptible to interference, be careful with things like dashcams/sat navs with trailing cables and also usb plugs these can all cause interference.

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
660CCBBA-0DA2-494E-9616-ED6ECFC75FD0.jpeg
DD8CCDF0-A954-449B-BB7E-F0DBF35D9861.jpeg
Well it’s fitted and I get stations whilst on the drive but on the move will have to check it’s simple to switch back to the screen/pillar mounted one if not an improvement.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Well done @10tenmen your head unit looks very similar to mine, check you have turned on "aerial Power" in the set upmenu (sorry if you already done that)fingers crossed it works while mobile (mine works on drive also) but I think its fair to say you have taken every step you can thus far.
Does it receive FM and MW well through the roof aeriel also? If so at least you can get by with that in weak signal areasmaybe.
Les

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
Thanks Les the original window mount was ok apart from the odd dropout nearer to home, I tried fm that was ok but not mw that will be a job for tomorrow as I’m off to the weighbridge so I can get an idea on mgw before next trip we are off to Spain via the tunnel in February.
Thanks Gary

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I haven't used, or needed to use, FM in either of the last two motorhomes. I definitely don't miss FM going noisy for a few miles whilst it swaps to the next transmitter. With DAB transmitter handover is seamless.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I haven't used, or needed to use, FM in either of the last two motorhomes. I definitely don't miss FM going noisy for a few miles whilst it swaps to the next transmitter. With DAB transmitter handover is seamless.
Thats just showing off, I am thinking about buying a Crystal set:D
or two bean tins and a long piece of string:D
Les

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
I have a Dab radio in my new van with roof ariel and its not that good if i had know i had to go to college for 3 years to learn how to use it i would not have bothered having one at all.
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back