Dab Ariel (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I think ive seen something regarding this but cant find the thread, l want to fit a dab radio we have a hymer 2005 with ariel fitted at top above passenger window can we use it or do we need to change it.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I see no reason you need a new aerial, you are still just receiving radio signals. We have the same TV aerial as before and now we get digital television and the aerials on my portable DAB radios looks exactly the same as the old ones.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya all you can do is have a dabble with it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You won't receive DAB with the Hymer (or any other) FM aerial .. I've tried ..
also tried a stick on DAB aerial from Halfords .. now in the bin..

Only real solution is a roof mounted aerial .. there is another thread detailing how this can be done on a composite roof . http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/d-a-b-aerial.108205/#post-1415707

Dab On Wheels has a good selection Broken Link Removed

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A DAB aerial is a totally different device. Simplest is a device that allows your FM aerial to pretend it's a DAB. the device connects to your existing aerial and has two outputs: one to the radio FM aerial connection; the other to the radio DAB aerial connection.

Quick eBay search:

Broken Link Removed

I have two of these. The one on my wife's Smart car is brilliant; the one on my Hymer less so (but then the FM aerial it's attached to is partially masked by bodywork & wasn't too clever on FM before I fitted the splitter).

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The only real difference is that DAB is always vertically polarised whereas FM can be vertical, horizontal or mixed polarity. A half wave FM aerial vertically polarised should give good results.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sparky

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
bingley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
a class burstner aviano i
Exp
30 years
Hi read the article in this months mm it tells you about a converter for original Aries as long as it is not powered

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back