Dab Aerial (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
I have an Autotrail Cheyenne 840D 2007 Ive seen a DAB radio/cd with built in Alexa I'd like to fit in the dash. Does anyone know if it will work with the original aerial which I believe is in the side mirror or will I have to fit a DAB aerial ?

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
The traditional AM/FM aerial and DAB aerials do work differently, and also have different connectors into the back of the radio. My 2019 Ducato unit has two separate connectors both go towards the door mirror. Until you pull the existing setup out of the dashboard you won't know if you do have both connectors available.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Generally, FM antennas will be poor with DAB, even if you can get an adapter. I think it unlikely that a 2007 model would have a DAB antenna pre-installed, but I could be wrong, so it is worth a check.

I'd recommend fitting a new roof antenna. I recommend the Eightwood one. I've fitted a couple of them recently and they give great reception in my experience. Glass mount ones are hopeless. They come with a choice of DAB connections. Make sure you buy the right one to avoid the need for additional adapters.

Amazon product ASIN B0739XWBN7

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,
I use a bluetooth receiver via phone. Crystal clear radio etc all over Europe and dirt cheap for the receiver.

TaoTronics Bluetooth AUX Adapter, APTX Stereo Bluetooth Receiver, 15 Hour Hands-Free Bluetooth Car kit, Wireless Audio Bluetooth 4.2 Car Adapter, Auto on Once Plugged to Power(CVC 6.0)

1. TaoTronics Bluetooth AUX Adapter, APTX Stereo Bluetooth Receiver, 15 Hour Hands-Free Bluetooth Car kit, Wireless Audio Bluetooth 4.2 Car Adapter, Auto on Once Plugged to Power(CVC 6.0)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
We have a Pure Highway dab "radio" in our motorhome - it uses an amplified windscreen aerial, grounded to the metal van body, which works well in most areas. To be fair, It does sometimes struggle in more remote / hilly areas.

I guess it depends on how keen you are to male holes / run cables to external aerials and where you will be travelling - they will give better results overall.

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,
I use a bluetooth receiver via phone. Crystal clear radio etc all over Europe and dirt cheap for the receiver.

TaoTronics Bluetooth AUX Adapter, APTX Stereo Bluetooth Receiver, 15 Hour Hands-Free Bluetooth Car kit, Wireless Audio Bluetooth 4.2 Car Adapter, Auto on Once Plugged to Power(CVC 6.0)

1. TaoTronics Bluetooth AUX Adapter, APTX Stereo Bluetooth Receiver, 15 Hour Hands-Free Bluetooth Car kit, Wireless Audio Bluetooth 4.2 Car Adapter, Auto on Once Plugged to Power(CVC 6.0)
Looks good

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Use of phone is great, if you have the data. Never worked out what bandwidth is needed for radio streaming, but given I would have the radio on for lengthy periods both whilst driving, and parked up, that data must add up. And then you are also using added power to power the phone.

Your unlikely to need an adaptor to link a modern radio to the phone, most will have bluetooth capability built in. It's only trying to do it for an older radio (perhaps a cheap upgrade to the OP's present setup) that the adaptor might be required.

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
I've not tried this myself but have seen this product which might be of help? Apparently can convert your standard aerial to DAB as long as it is not an amplified FM/AM aerial 👍

<Broken link removed>

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I've not tried this myself but have seen this product which might be of help? Apparently can convert your standard aerial to DAB as long as it is not an amplified FM/AM aerial 👍

<Broken link removed>

I was even going to suggest one myself, but then I suspected a wing mirror antenna would be very likely amplified and be even worse than a standard one with a splitter.

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
I was even going to suggest one myself, but then I suspected a wing mirror antenna would be very likely amplified and be even worse than a standard one with a splitter.
My bad, clearly only scan read the post!

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Our tranny aerial is rubbish could only get bbc stations, installed dab radio with internal windscreen to body Ariel works brilliantly. Best move could ever.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Simple answer installed am/fM aerial in th mirror is useless.
For DAB a screen mounted aerial is ok in good reception areas is cheap as chips and can be ok.
Best is roof mounted dab & FM aerial as mentioned in other post on Fun.

We used a screen dab aerial in a swift kontiki for a while was ok, not perfect. Replacement mh has roof mounted, almost perfect.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I fitted a JVC external screen aerial to a friend's A Class recently I was surprised how well it worked.

<Broken link removed>

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Mirror aerials are rubbish get a rubber ducky and affix it to the wing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun