Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Good afternoon

I'm interested in the above location as it's constantly passed by by us to get to the Northwest, If I had a day and a half spare and wanted to go to D&G, where would you recommend I head for.

TBH, I am thinking of weekend getaways over several months, say 1 trip a month, (might be a bit ambitious, who knows), for me it's a 7 hour trip each way, not really an issue, have van will travel, if I leave home on Friday evening, I can be in Gretna by midnight and have all day Saturday and half day Sunday before making my way back home.

Open to suggestions, we have the folding bikes now as well (not mountain but can do trails and roads) so can see more of the location we are in.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Why ? is what comes to mind. What has Dumfries and Galloway got that Wales hasn't. 14 hours on some of the worst UK roads must need some serious attraction.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
@hilldweller my D&G is only 5minutes away :D
850400313.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Why ? is what comes to mind. What has Dumfries and Galloway got that Wales hasn't. 14 hours on some of the worst UK roads must need some serious attraction.
Because it's not Wales. We live in the Lakes but wouldn't consider motor homing here.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
D&G can be found in several parts of southern Spain.
Dolce and Gabbana can be located in many centres of excellence.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
D&G expensive but fits well so I'm told

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I can heartily recommend Dumfries & Galloway & your idea of timing sounds about right.
It usually took us between 8 & 9 hours from the edge of D&G to get to Carmarthenshire & a lot of those hundreds of journeys were done in a Land Rover.

We need a bit of a clue as to your likes or dislikes, do you want to wild camp, CL or site with all amenities?
Do you like history or solitude etc?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Because it's not Wales..

Maybe. But like for like you should be saying "I'll not consider MH in England".

The Lakes are victim of their own success, we love Bowness but it's always heaving.

Over the last few years I've had some great times in Wales on my bike, neglected by MH, maybe I need to address this, though with caution, a country road that is a delight on a bike would be quite different in a MH.

I was once a regular visitor to Wigtown on business, so I know the area a little and I know further north even better, my only question is, is it worth 14 hours of hell for just a weekend.

I've just had a few days on Shell Island in good weather, can Scotland beat this ?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Dumfries and Galloway is still relatively quiet in motorhoming terms, though getting busier. It's really very nice here, the further west you go the quieter it gets. Try the Galloway Hills or the Rhins peninsular. Even the Machars are quiet nice.

Edit. You've just missed the Stranraer Oyster Festival, our annual big bash, great weekend.

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Thanks for all your replies, Snowdonia is on our list to visit, but we just love Scotland.
What do we like, yes peace and quiet, not keen on towns or cities but villages yes, somewhere where we are allowed to park the van and not have to worry about upsetting people, the feeling of being able to leave the van without having to look over the shoulder re opportunist folk who want a share of my stuff.
Now we have the bikes we like exploring places, just back from our last trip where we rode down the Caledonian canal from fort Augustus and not quite reaching Lagan, beautiful ride.

So basically the peaceful side of life.

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Forgot to mention we prefer sites but wilding is also ok as it’s possibly only 1night for now. on our normal journeys north we generally hit Gretna in around 6 to 6 and a half hours, so if we stop over in the Asda at junction 44 we are on the door step for the start of Saturday

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
We did a circular tour of Dumfries and Galloway in May before the midges were out, they should just about be going again now. Staying mostly in CS/CLs We started in Annan, nice CS right on the coast with views over towards Skiddaw, there's a new distillery in Annan, well worth a visit very good café and tour, large carpark can easily accommodate a MH. Garlieston, excellent CS called Garlieston Lodge (they'll remember our Guinea pigs!). Garlieston is where the Mulberry Harbours for the D Day landings were perfected, picturesque with good coastal path walk. Culzean Castle CCC site also recommended as they have arranged the pitches so virtually everyone gets a great view towards Arran and the castle itself is an interesting day out.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
The CMC site at New England Bay is great, if you like quiet sites by a sandy beach. And if you’re a CMC member their site at Garlieston has pitches right by the water’s edge.

Sportsnapper

Free Member
Sep 3, 2016
Reading
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
Since 2004
Of course, the really big attraction of that area is the 7 Stanes mountain biking centres run by the Scottish forestry commision. A great resource, and a great attitude to parking overnight :)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
OK here goes folks.

Dumfries & Galloway is that rarest of beasts, a truly undiscovered area which is custom made for motorhomes oh & its huge, colossal even.
If the Galloway Forest Park is your forte then your in for a bit of a treat.

Overnight parking carries the same rules as everywhere else & is illegal, now that's the legal side put to bed but, if camping is done properly you'll find that overnight camping is tolerated & I've never been asked to move on, moreover I've had some lovely chats with the park rangers who've stopped for a blether!
Just use the country code, leave no rubbish behind or any sign that you've ever been there & I'm sure you'll be fine. If you are asked to move on, do so without quibble.

There are one or two exceptions. The Raiders Road is a stunning drive & beautiful.
The Otter Pool is special but, due to the tenting fraternity setting fires & creating a hell of a lot of noise not to mention leaving broken bottles or general rubbish behind, camping of any kind is now discouraged. There is a little toilet block which makes life easier.
Either end of the Raiders Road has first class camping spots, the choice just depends on which view you'd like? The southern end has a cracking car park with views of the old railway viaduct & the majesty of the loch to look out over. The northern end has car parks with views of the river & a beautiful glen. Camping here is tolerated. Both are still very much in the heart of the Galloway Dark Skies Park so if its clear at night the view of the stars will take your breath away.

Glen Trool is very peaceful & quiet, I've wild camped in motorhomes there since the early 1960s & it still has a very special place in my heart. My late father taught me where the best places to make camp are. I won't disclose where they are but, I will share some of the better known spots.
The car park at Stinchar Falls on the northern end of Glen Trool is laid out like a CL & is extremely peaceful. To get there, you'd find it on the map near the village of Straiton.
You turn off the main road where its signposted for Stinchar Falls, you'll see the falls on your right & the carpark as you drive a few yards then off to the left & it is signposted.
Prepare to be amazed, usually deserted but stunning.
Below are some I prepared earlier.

Executive 25.jpg

Executive 26.jpg

There's is also a good spot in Glen Trool right on the spot where it joins good old Ayrshire, this spot is marked by a sign telling you that your changing counties. Turn right if heading north or left if heading south & you'll be greeted by a camping spot right next to the small river. The picture below shows a similar signpost, but the one at the spot is black.

trool01.jpg

It's up to you to find spots that you particularly like, exploring this area is a lot of fun & its full of nice surprises.
Try the A713 Castle Douglas to Ayr road, there are some lovely little camping spots.
Near New Galloway is a great little CL called Brough. Here you'll have electric hook up & there are toilets & showers, its really peaceful.
Or head of the other side of the road & seek out Blowplain CL, again with mains hook up, toilets & showers. Its a wee tad difficult to find but well worth it.

Blowplain.gif

Also off the A713 is the road from New Galloway to Newton Stewart is Clatteringshaws Loch & there are a myriad of camping spots everywhere. The north end of The Raiders Road can be accessed from this road.

A bit further north still on the A713 & you find signs for Loch Doon, at the A713 end of the loch you pass over the dam & you'll find The Round House café, which is run by a good friend of mine, they do decent hot food & have toilets for customers only.
The whole area is packed full of history which is well worth Googling. Here you'll find a small campsite which is ran by a local initiative, the views are wonderful & they have mains hook up although I'm not sure of toilets etc yet.

On along the loch road which is 7 miles along the tarmac road you'll find Loch Doon Castle.
The carpark is a favourite camping spot of mine, but avoid weekends when the tenting fraternity arrive & make more noise than you'd think possible!!!
The castle used to be in the middle of the loch but was moved & rebuilt due to the rising levels on the loch which has a dam & hydro scheme.
The road becomes another Forest Drive & the scenery is even better, eventually you'll come out at Stinchar Falls again.
The castle is open & costs nothing to park or to enter! You'll find most parking is free, even in some of the towns like Castle Douglas etc.

Ad 16.jpg
Ad 37.jpg

Ad 29.jpg

So wherever you choose to go in this area, you'll not be short of things to Discover but, it'll take you years to search it, but do visit.
Try the Solway coast for little pubs doing top notch food.
The midge season starts in mid to late may, but they've been conspicuous by their absence this year.

Phew, I'll add more if you need it but for now its a cup of coffee & a rest lol.

Robert.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting
Great write up Amb, I've been visiting this area for close on 50 years !
Love it, lovely people, lovely places!!

Sportsnapper

Free Member
Sep 3, 2016
Reading
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks, @ambulancekidd - we've been to the Galloway Forest Park a few times, but weren't confident where to stay. The Glentrool visitor centre worked for us - but last time they were repairing the Stroan bridge and we couldn't get the van over - so we found a nice spot on a quiet(ish) road nearby. And, as usual in the dark skies park, it clouded over!
IMG_1361.jpg

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Great place/area and lovely friendly people .

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Well that does it, I need to spend weeks exploring here not weekends, many thanks for taking the time to post your very helpful info, much appreciated.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Well your all welcome to share a cuppa with us if your passing through......:cheers:

Hush woman, you do realise that I'm a Scotsman & where money is concerned we're very tight? We can't be offering cups of tea to waifs n strays? :eek:
Well not compared to a Yorkshireman, they'd rather share their wives than share a £ or two, in fact many have, I just didn't get caught. "My husband is at the front door!" "Where is your back door?", "not got one" "where would you like one?" :D

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Hush woman, you do realise that I'm a Scotsman & where money is concerned we're very tight? We can't be offering cups of tea to waifs n strays? :eek:
Well not compared to a Yorkshireman, they'd rather share their wives than share a £ or two, in fact many have, I just didn't get caught. "My husband is at the front door!" "Where is your back door?", "not got one" "where would you like one?" :D
I only keep him for entertainment.....:wondering:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

You’ve done it now,.... it’ll be heaving up there now and nowhere to stay.....:p

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back