Tour Guide Wanted D Day - Beyond the beaches. (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
I have been to Normandya few times now and worked my way around the WW2 battlefieds, beaches, cemeteries, museums etc but I would like to undertake a more in depth guided tour and was hoping that one or two funsters on here may have a recommendation that I could follow up.
I want the tour to concentrate on the actual inland battle ie Bluecoat, Goodwood up to Falaise etc and not on the actual landings.
Thank you in anticipation...

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
There is an Août '44 route you can follow South of Falaise which I did part of last year. A lot of interest.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I am sure you can google it and come up with a good plan. I was able to use free Aires around the route including by Carrefour at Falaise which was good but the "borne" was us and looked unlikely to be fixed.

Good luck, the more I see of it the more I know how little I know. I will be in the area from next weekend.

Cheers Clive

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the member you need to chat to is @Wildbill he is very knowledgeable about the military history of the area

OP
OP
sylvester1954
May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry perhaps I wasnt very clear about my enquiry.
I am aware that there are a number of guided battlefield tours led by ex military and/or locals but most of them are based around the landings and the subsequent 24 hours.
I am looking for a guide with whom l can discuss in more detail the fieldcraft and actual reasoning behind the actions taken leading to the subsequent breakout.
I have read and digested a large number of books and maps already but need this to be interpreted onto the actual landscape.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Tootles would of been your man had he not been promoted recently. I stand by my previous suggestion, Bill is the man you need

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
You could consider contacting "le Memorial" at Caen. They should be able to put you in touch with someone for one to one style guiding.

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back