Cyclists vs. Motorists.... (1 Viewer)

adenough

Free Member
Sep 12, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
Ahhh. Now I see. That Swiss thing is more a sticky label. I think it is quite a good idea but cannot see somebody with a £2000+ race bike wanting to stick it on his frame and there is nowhere else on a racebike to put it really. It is fine on the town bike pictured and there are a lot of those on the continent as cycling is a respected form of transport for rich and poor, unlike here where if not riding a garish unsuitable mountain bike you are percieved as a nerd to be bullied and an object of ridicule. I imagine the law for this is ignored by quite a few people much like the dog license here was.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I imagine the law for this is ignored by quite a few people much like the dog license here was.

well, as you can see it has to be prominantly displayed so i dont think people will ignore the law.
much like not having a number plate on your motorhome....you wont get far without it before being stopped.:Doh:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
something like this BG?
Link Removed
Almost. They used to be metal and usually fitted on the rear mudguard or if no mudguard, back of the seat.
I suppose a plastic sticker is just as good and can easily be placed on the frame.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Ahhh. Now I see. That Swiss thing is more a sticky label. I think it is quite a good idea but cannot see somebody with a £2000+ race bike wanting to stick it on his frame and there is nowhere else on a racebike to put it really.
I imagine the law for this is ignored by quite a few people much like the dog license here was.
Obviously you don't know the Swiss!

Their mindset is worlds apart from that of the 'brit'. Swiss are very much 'self policing' and ensure that not only do they adhere to the letter of the law, but also their neighbour too! Very forgiving towards foreign visitors.....but not any of their own people.

adenough

Free Member
Sep 12, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
Obviously you don't know the Swiss!
Lived and worked there for a while in 2000 and have family there that I visit so know a little bit. My B-I-L still does not have these on his racing bikes. I ride with him when I am there and don't have one on my bike. I was there in November riding around. Never had a problem with the Swiss police. They, like here, are not as visible as they used to be due to the proliferation of traffic/speed cameras.

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
A taxi driver in Amsterdam (where they have this law and LOTS of bikes) told me the cyclists will deliberately ride into cabs in order to make some money. Apparantly students are the worst offenders.

Such a law will do nothing to improve safety but will result in all our insurance premiums increasing, yet again! Still I could get a bike, cause an accident and put the money towards my car insurance :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Just another idea to raise taxes, increase the cost of motoring, (insurance is bound to rise) ban the bloody lot of them walk or drive but keep out of my way please. Now where did I leave my horse and cart.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Lived and worked there for a while in 2000 and have family there that I visit so know a little bit.
You should be familar then of the obsession Swiss have with 'getting it right' first time, where we usually give up, don't bother, or just prefer to remain 'ignornant'!

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Such a law will do nothing to improve safety but will result in all our insurance premiums increasing, yet again!
Won't do much to improve understanding and tolerance between cyclist and motorist either!

Apparently some 'cyclist' posters claim they only have to ride their bike along the road and vehicle drivers simply stop, get out, and thump them!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Almost. They used to be metal and usually fitted on the rear mudguard or if no mudguard, back of the seat.
I suppose a plastic sticker is just as good and can easily be placed on the frame.

if you enlarge the photo it shows a metal tag attached to the seat as you say.....the sticker is attached to this.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there is no place on our roads for bicycles anymore ,just like horse and carts they have had their day. they pay no road tax, and it does seem they nolonger wish to abide by the highway code.frequently used without lights or have illegal flashing ones. ban them from our streets atleast untill they take a test of compitance n pay tax. and of course have insurance like the rest of us.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there is no place on our roads for bicycles anymore ,just like horse and carts they have had their day. they pay no road tax, and it does seem they nolonger wish to abide by the highway code.frequently used without lights or have illegal flashing ones. ban them from our streets atleast untill they take a test of compitance n pay tax. and of course have insurance like the rest of us.

i agree with all you say alan,
you cant take a motorbike, of any size, on the road without taking the theory test (car licence holders and 50cc bikes excluded)so why should pushbikes be priviledged.

a pushbike takes up the same road space as a small motorbike but the motorbike pays road tax...so why should pushbikes be priviledged.

ALL road users should be insured for minimum third party risk.

and yes....i do have a pushbike.::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ridden a pushbike all my life and still do..
However !

After working in Cambridge for a couple of years I would love to put huge scythes on my wheels and cut the lot of em ( in Cambridge at least ) to shreds ..
Why is it that a perfectly normal working bloke/woman who is usually a law abiding sort of person, think it is absolutely ok to completely ignore any and all traffic signs and lights ?

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
there is no place on our roads for bicycles anymore ,just like horse and carts they have had their day. they pay no road tax, and it does seem they no longer wish to abide by the highway code.frequently used without lights or have illegal flashing ones. ban them from our streets atleast untill they take a test of compitance n pay tax. and of course have insurance like the rest of us.
I agree the idiot cyclist of today rides around with no lighting on their bike as though in 'stealth mode'. The Police don't seem to be interested and the cyclist meanwhile is left free to carry on and get killed by the next motorist who no doubt would find themselves on a charge of manslaughter. When i was a cycling mad teenager, my Dad would go ape shit if i even dared leave the driveway without my lights on.

However, from a vehicle driver point of view i find the illegal flashing/blinking lights that some use, are better than a solid light. I find it draws my attention from a distance far quicker than the solid light. These are fine....as long as they fit 'em on the right end of the bike. The other night i saw one showing a red light, yet he was on the opposite side of the road to me. I didn't know which way he was going. Then as i got closer it turned out he was coming towards me with a red light on the front instead of white. For a few split seconds it totally confused me as to which way he was going and what part of the road he was on. Those split seconds can mean the difference between life or death, but when cyclists are in that 'stealth mode' mentality they think they are invincible.

I drive country 'B' roads to and from work, a stretch of about 3 - 4 miles which has no lighting at all, so at night it is pitch black dark. A guy frequently used to cycle along that stretch at night with no lights at all, and often wearing dark clothing. Not seen him now for a few years so i assume he's been squashed and buried.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi camper 69. but at least road tax is payed. the speed caravans go is controled by law. and lights etc are obligatory . i also drive artic trucks we are restricterd to 40 on a b road (single carraige) we also get cursed as well . but we get into trouble if we jump lights ride on pavements etc, thats the point i try n make .. as for the flashing lights think they are ilegal any way. cheers alan.

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
its amazing how many people get worked up at other road users. All road users cause different problems at different times but because a person is not one of them ( in this case a cyclist) then they are the scum of the earth.

Yes some cyclists seem to have a death wish, just like some motorcyclists or a 106 packed with teenagers. If a cyclist is causing such a bad problem report just the same as you would a motorist.

At the end of the day motorists kill and injure far more cyclists than the other way round. If a cyclist hits you in a car it will just dent the body work, a pain in arse I am sure but you will be ok

Derek

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i just like the idea of giving this lovelly country some more tax to spend on the fantastic nhs,etc i think this country is great but it needs more pennies to spend. give genourously. best country in the world at moment .i,m proud to be english.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
its amazing how many people get worked up at other road users. All road users cause different problems at different times but because a person is not one of them ( in this case a cyclist) then they are the scum of the earth.
Back on thread topic i still fail to see why a person who pays no tax or insurance to use the roads, should even contemplate a right to automatically claim against vehicle drivers when they, (the cyclist), have been at fault.

Surely even the regular cyclists on here must agree that is not right? It's a crackpot idea which is wide open to abuse.

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
Back on thread topic i still fail to see why a person who pays no tax or insurance to use the roads, should even contemplate a right to automatically claim against vehicle drivers when they, (the cyclist), have been at fault.

Surely even the regular cyclists on here must agree that is not right? It's a crackpot idea which is wide open to abuse.

I would agree with you. However I am for anything which keeps big metal objects from hitting my family as we cycle quite harmlessly down the road. ::bigsmile:

Derek

adenough

Free Member
Sep 12, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
It is shameful the amount of venom on this forum directed at one section of road users that do no damage to the roads, cause no pollution, either fumes or noise and will do the least amount of damage to another human being in a collision.
If you followed the "ban them all" analogy because of the actions of [yes it is] a minority of cyclists then, considering the behaviour of motorists, the roads would be empty due to all cars being banned.
I would be far happier sharing the roads with a few mad cyclsts than a few mad motorists.

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
It is shameful the amount of venom on this forum directed at one section of road users that do no damage to the roads, cause no pollution, either fumes or noise and will do the least amount of damage to another human being in a collision.
If you followed the "ban them all" analogy because of the actions of [yes it is] a minority of cyclists then, considering the behaviour of motorists, the roads would be empty due to all cars being banned.
I would be far happier sharing the roads with a few mad cyclsts than a few mad motorists.

Here here

Derek

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I would be far happier sharing the roads with a few mad cyclists than a few mad motorists.

Your not kidding........

we live in London and bought e bikes last year initially for travelling. I use mine all the time now, and my wife has recently started commuting on her new e bike as well. Have any of you any idea how vulnerable you are riding a bike in the UK? At leat once a month I am nearly knocked of my bike by inconsiderate motorists on a never ending rush to the next traffic hold up...........

my local journeys are faster and generally more enjoyable then by car. no parking charges. (£5 for 2 hours at a hospital last week in car:Sad:) S/W London is grid lock most of the time and I just sail past...Its a wonderful feeling except when you are being driven of the road by some idiot.

things are improving here but still have a long way to go to catch up with Europe, and its pointless putting in cycle lanes if motorists simply ignore them. but the mind set of motorists who can not stand anyone getting in their way is criminal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back