Cycling with big dogs (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Not meant to be a silly question, but does anyone cycle with their dogs loose where safe and possible? We are now down to one dog and are contemplating canal cycling with Poppy our retriever. We have a big off road disability scooter and an electric bike. Not sure whether camp sites allow dogs left unattended in vans. What do Funsters do?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
When I was about 14 (a few years ago now) our Great Dane used to tow me on my bike about 3 1/2 miles to visit my Gran :)

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...
bodgemobile.jpg
This is what I use. My Labrador and Cavalier spaniel travel happily in the trailer as long as they can see my wife pedalling along behind. The bike is electric which is only really needed for hills. It is low geared and has fat tyres for grip as I tried an ordinary road bike and found the wheel would spin. I got both the bike and trailer from Ebay. They fold up and fit in the garage with my wife's bike. I thought they might never get used, but in fact I have had a few good trips with them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Hi I am looking to do the same 1 labradoodle 32kg and 1 Bedlington terrier 14kg.
What makes are the bikes and trailer they look an ideal combination

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
I too use a medium DoggyHut trailer behind my electric bike for our Tibetan Terrier as he is getting on and cannot walk as far as he use to.
If anybody is interested I have an scabby medium DoggyHut trailer for sale and a good condition large DoggyHut trailer with stroller attachment.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Just blown the photo is this ancheer legal as on their website it has a twist throttle

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I too use a medium DoggyHut trailer behind my electric bike for our Tibetan Terrier as he is getting on and cannot walk as far as he use to.
If anybody is interested I have an scabby medium DoggyHut trailer for sale and a good condition large DoggyHut trailer with stroller attachment.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Not meant to be a silly question, but does anyone cycle with their dogs loose where safe and possible? We are now down to one dog and are contemplating canal cycling with Poppy our retriever. We have a big off road disability scooter and an electric bike. Not sure whether camp sites allow dogs left unattended in vans. What do Funsters do?
In 10 years of touring we have never come across a site that didn't allow dogs to be left in the van alone. So please do not worry about that. If your dog is fine being left alone at home then it will be fine in the van.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Hi Vic questions if I may what bike did you use and do you have any picture

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We've been using our adapted childs trailer for the last couple of years but about 9 months ago and after quite a bit of research we went for a Croozer:

We just squeeze our Irish Terrier and Cocker in there and both are 20kgs each so the total weight being pulled is around 53kgs.....

The longest we've used it is on a 40km ride although the aim is that the dogs are only in it when needed (roads, livestock and unknowns).

We use ours almost every day for the daily dog walk, it's just easier to get through the village with them in the trailer and then let them enjoy the run once in the forest.

I liked the plastic base and all aluminium frame and parts on the Croozer vs the other makes we looked at, it also has a removable padded internal base, overall it's very washable and easy to keep clean.

We did buy an extra bike hitch so we have one on each bike so easy to swap over if needed, some times useful.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes similar with a bar attachment on a mountain bike in Cornwall, our labradoodle wanted to play with another dog and I ended up on the floor

Proper bikejoring kit uses a bungee type line so there’s a lot of leeway to stop the dog. As long as you pay attention they won’t have you off.

There is some training required though. You can’t just hook a dog up and expect it to know what you want from it.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Proper bikejoring kit uses a bungee type line so there’s a lot of leeway to stop the dog. As long as you pay attention they won’t have you off.

There is some training required though. You can’t just hook a dog up and expect it to know what you want from it.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Yes we were a bit dim on that one 9 years ago

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968

Our Dane used to run along with me a couple of times , so knew the road where we were going , just used a rope wrapped once round the handlebar stem loose end held in hand on bar grip , so was quick release if needed , but he was very obedient , stop on command :) He also got a treat when he arrived from my Gran ,
he went at quite a good trot going , slower coming back !

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...
Hi I am looking to do the same 1 labradoodle 32kg and 1 Bedlington terrier 14kg.
What makes are the bikes and trailer they look an ideal combination
The trailer is only meant to carry 40kg strictly speaking. I'm right on the limit with my two and I wouldn't really want more as there is a strain on the bike's chain and sprockets but you might be OK. The bike is Ancheer which I think is Chinese but I bought it from Germany (via Ebay) for about £550. The trailer is a Doggy Hut XL, it was about £200. The bike is apparently illegal for use on UK roads as it is too powerful (500 watts) hence pictured off road, abroad. 'Nuff said.

As Steve and Gina say, it can be used with the twist throttle, I don't know whether that is illegal in itself or just on roads but I have only used it when I am off the bike and wheeling it on foot with dogs in the back, when it comes in very handy.

We do leave the dogs on their own on site sometimes as well, by the way. Got the trailer as our lab is getting on a bit and can't walk as far as he used to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back