Cycle rack (1 Viewer)

Aug 25, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hello All,I have a fiamma 2 bike cycle rack on y=the back of my motorhome with a Fiamma 500 box on it,Does or has anyone done ---is there an extension available to increase this to a 3 cycle as I am looking to fit a folding bike on there but not in the folded state,
any advice or availability welcome.thanks

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would be extremely careful !
With the added leverage and the starting weight of the box you really need to be 100% sure of the mounting points.
On the way down to Spain in January saw a nice ( newish ) Hymer with the back split right open and the cycle rack ( with 4 bikes on it ) hanging on by a thread

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would be extremely careful !
With the added leverage and the starting weight of the box you really need to be 100% sure of the mounting points.
On the way down to Spain in January saw a nice ( newish ) Hymer with the back split right open and the cycle rack ( with 4 bikes on it ) hanging on by a thread
We saw similar a few weeks ago, goodness knows what the owners repair bill will be like. I am keeping my eye open for one that is mounted to the towbar instead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I thought as long as you didn't exceed the weight it would be ok?

That is the weight the RACK can support, not the wall it is attached to I am afraid.

We saw similar a few weeks ago, goodness knows what the owners repair bill will be like. I am keeping my eye open for one that is mounted to the towbar instead.

Yup, that is the way I have gone

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We have a 2 bike fiamma rack mounted on the back with a Ultra 500 box mounted on it - the rack weight limit is only 30kg and the Ultra Box itself is 17kg so i am very aware of what i chuck in it - to now i have a couple of chairs 4kg each a table which is about another 4kgs an the rest of the stuff is plastic pipe, flat fold away bucket an bungee straps etc, it is mounted to the rear door which is probably more stronger than a big open panel (i hope)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
T C, I reckon you are dead right ! But racks mounted on the back wall of the average motorhome is the worry when it comes to over loading ..... :eek:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I removed our Fiamma rack as it was too much of a struggle to lift the bikes up there. It would have been OK with a skinny road bike but my tourer is very heavy. I had also heard of a case where someone didn't see a sleeping policeman and this resulted in a big repair bill. Got a Thule towbar rack but in hindsight should have got their more expensive universal one which also takes a back box.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I'm gonna buy 2 electric bikes soon and even with batteries off still worried about the extra weight.
Although well under the bike rack capacity Im gonna make some sort of support off the chassis to take the flex off the rear wall.

OP
OP
motorhomer1
Aug 25, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
(y) Thanks to all for comments I am now going down the road of getting towbar quotes and using little trailer I already have,
Thanks again

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'd like to know about this idea please(forestboy) as I'm a little worried after reading this thread.
Was thinking about a tow bar but don't want to go to the expense so this seems a good idea.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Gonna take my van down to the welders next week and try and design something that's strong but light and if possible will fold up small when not in use. If its successful I'll post some pics on this thread.
Someone did a similar thing recently and posted some pics I'm sure you'll find it if you do a search.(y)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Saw someone on holiday recently who had made 2 little arms that went from under the rack down to the tow ball, just to give a bit of support.. Good idea IF you have a tow hitch !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back