Rally Chat Cycle mount tow ball (1 Viewer)

Aspire

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
We have an Elddis Aspire motorhome plated at 3850 I have a spare payload of 130 kg back axle weight
we have a Fiamma bike rack which carries 2 bikes within this weight but the back wall of the motorhome is coming away slightly from the bathroom wall if I were to put a tow bar on and fit on a Thule Bike Rack at a weight of 40 kg will this make any difference to my back axle weight
Thanks

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The tow bar will add to it yes. You could put air suspension on if you’re worried and you can raise the rear of the van if tight on loading at the ferry

OP
OP
Aspire

Aspire

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Thanks for your reply I have air suspension fitted what I am trying to say is will it increase my back axel weight by more than the 40 kilo I will have added if that makes sense
Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
What does the tow bar weigh. The bikes will stay the same minus the weight of existing rack. If you’re border line afterwards you could do things like take batteries out if they are electric or front wheel off to reduce it a bit, move the weight forward in the van.

OP
OP
Aspire

Aspire

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
The towing bracket and bike rack are approximately 40kg I have a weight bridge ticket with the bikes on of 130kg spare payload

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It’s the rear axel load that you’re interested in not the total then.

OP
OP
Aspire

Aspire

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Sorry what I meant was will it increase my back axle weight by more than the 40 kg with it being lower down

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the fulcrum effect will apply a slightly higher load on the rear axle than the immediate downforce weight of the load behind your axle. for a 40kg load it will likely be under 50kg at the rear axle and a few grammes lift at the front axle

OP
OP
Aspire

Aspire

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Thanks that’s what I was trying to say but I could not explain what I meant I realised that if I had a weight although I had sufficient payload and also air suspension fitted it would probably put more weight on my backend other than the additional weight that I was adding
Thanks Alan

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
The formula for calculating the additional load on the back axle is:

The weight of the load + the weight of the load X (the length of overhang/the wheelbase)

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Hi I had a 2012 255 I also fitted semi air to the back axle to get the payload. I take it you have 225/70/15 tyres to give the rear axle loading of 2240 kg. We also had a problem with the side wall of the bathroom coming away on the nearside as well as where the fridge was. As it was still under warranty then, Elddis
collected it took it back to the factory and repaired it. To be fair although it would have been better if it hadn’t happened they made a good job of repairing it.

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
Hi I,m new to this site ! I pleased to see someone is actually bothered about putting there vehicle over the
3.5 ton threshold, As 75% of the industry isn't. Best of Luck
Andy

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi I,m new to this site ! I pleased to see someone is actually bothered about putting there vehicle over the
3.5 ton threshold, As 75% of the industry isn't. Best of Luck
Andy
Hi
The industry are really bad on this subject but you will find that the vast majority of Funster are bothered. We spend a lot of time trying to educate people who come on the forum looking to purchase their first.

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
What should come out of this, is representation, to the DVLA for a Licence category for Motorhomes.+
the whole thing, Weight restrictions, Liecences, medicals, and MOT,s are very disjointed.
There was talk that the EU was looking at the whole thing before Brexit, as its not just a UK issue.
Andy

addoaddo

Free Member
May 21, 2018
Newbury
Funster No
MH
Cathargo e line
Exp
long time
It is not the industry restricting the MH to 3500Kg, it is the users as so many people only have a licence for up to 3500Kg. If you have the large licence there are so many choices now.

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
Very True, its not industry restricting MH to 3.5 ton. If you read it again thats not what I said,
There is clear anomaly For driver Licences, for Motorhomes, Grandad rights aside, when you pass your car driving test, you cant tow a trailer, until separate tested, so no Caravan possible 2.0 to 4.5 ton, but you can drive a 3.5 ton MH.
At 70 if you passed your car test before 1997 you will loose your entitlement, for 7.5 ton. and be required to take a medical. to reinstate for three years, (note on this there is discussion to bring the medical part to all car driver to 65.
So lets look at the industry .. You get more for your money at 3.5 ton to 7.5 ton, than the 3.5 tonners.
thats an industry decision. The category of licence for an Upton 3.5 ton vehicle is called Light goods Vehicle.
but there is NO additional trainer for this,
3.5 to 7.5 requires additional training, How many run over 3,5 ton ?
I,m an C+E licence holder and Emergency service driver trainer.(Ex)
What concerns me most is not the driver of these vehicles but the rest of the road users they are putting at risk.
It now called the "Cummings syndrome" driving 60 mile to test your eyes !!
think of the others !
Andy

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
when you pass your car driving test, you cant tow a trailer, until separate tested,
Incorrect, if passed test after 1996 you can drive 3.5t and tow 750kg or drive vehicle and trailer not over 3.5t combined so for example 2t car and 1.5t caravan

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
That is correct, thank you for pointing out that detail, However the point was, There is specific training available, as the recognition of increase weight requires additional driver training, As a professional in this I would urge anyone to seek, this, as passing your test in a car does not prepare you for driving 3.5 ton in either a Van or car and trailer.
Andy

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
But then you will get some car owners who will complain that their 4x4 has a kerbweight the same as the motorhome they want, there will always be grey areas
I've driven an 18t truck that was smaller than some 3.5t a class Van's.
You can pass your test in a 3 cylinder eco bubble but then get into your amg63 so unless they overhaul the entire system from top to bottom and if they do I think motorhomes will go into a commercial category with all the downsides of that.
It's a no win situation

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
I appreciate were your going with this, As I mentioned earlier there was discussion in Brussels , (Its an EU issue aswell) whats going to happen to that now ? anyway ,they were looking to have a category of Licence for a vehicle;e registered as a motorhome. and Not. merg them with either, light goods vehicles or heavy goods vehicles. To have a complete category in there own right.
It was seen by the representing bodys(at the time) the correct way to go, as it had two major benefits,
No 3.5 ton, break point, with an upper limit of 7.49 ton.but as Vehicle usage and registration category's across Europe differ, and then Brexit took over. I retired also, It stopped, so I have no idea were its going now.
But medical for over 65 for any driving Licence will happen, Unless you have to have a licence for your electric bath chair.
Unfortunately your right on the "No win" The DVLA will always prevail.
Andy

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
If they finally get the rule in for tacho in any commercial over 1.5t payload then much will change, germans have been pushing for a decade but because the uk have big business/pleasure pick up usage they have been fighting it
Pandemic will put most things on hold but give it 3 to 4 years and stuff will start to creep in

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Back to Tow Hitch bike racks......consider the ease of putting bikes on and off too....we have a good size garage on our motorhome....however we have a Tow Bar mounted bike carrier on our car.....that works well for us....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back