Cycle lock. Brilliant but flawed ? (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
... and that is the flaw in their marketing ... why would I pay for two when I only need one that is slightly longer? If they don't do different lengths they will LOSE custom, either because people will only buy one and then use it with a 'normal weight' one, or not bother at all.

They might lose a small amount of custom from the "mass market" sector where people think this is a lot of money to pay for a lock. Like I said before I don't think they're targeting this sector at the moment so any loss of custom here doesn't matter.

They cycling world, where people know that in fact this is a pretty cheap lock, won't care in the slightest.

For anyone who rides even semi seriously it would actually be better to have two or even three or four short ones. That's far better than carrying the extra weight of a longer one that you don't need.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I would think that a lot of the weight is in the locking mechanism, so carrying two would be disproportionately more weight than one long one.

But still far more than one short one which is all you will need 99% of the time.

Thinking about it some more I think that even if they produce longer lengths I won't buy them. I've got two short ones on order, if they're good I'll probably buy two more and be set for pretty much any situation. Three of them will stay at home unless I know for certain I will need them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just remember the standard for the Gold security rating is it will delay a determined thief just FIVE MINUTES! So don't be too confident any lock will keep your bike safe. Worst case they cut through the frame with a battery powered angle grinder and take the bike just for the components.

A lock should never be longer than it needs to be. Too much slack and they have room to get a car jack in or a long lever. Though this tape lock looks flexible enough you could wrap any extra around a frame tube to keep it tight.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I've had a number of bikes stolen over the years. One from my bike rack which can be cut through with a small hack saw. Anything is only as strong as it's weakest point.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just remember the standard for the Gold security rating is it will delay a determined thief just FIVE MINUTES! So don't be too confident any lock will keep your bike safe. Worst case they cut through the frame with a battery powered angle grinder and take the bike just for the components.

A lock should never be longer than it needs to be. Too much slack and they have room to get a car jack in or a long lever. Though this tape lock looks flexible enough you could wrap any extra around a frame tube to keep it tight.

Of course no lock, just like no car alarm, no safe, no door lock, no security measure at all, will stop the most determined thief. As you say high end bikes are worth stealing for the components so the frame could easily be a target. The other thing they can attack is the railing or post or whatever that you've locked it to. That won't meet any standard at all!

The Gold standard is the industry standard though so it's all we have to go on - even the 1/2 inch chain used in the big Kryptonite locks only has that same standard. The standard is a MINIMUM of 5 minutes, not that it will definitely give up after 5 minutes, so I'm sure that most of the high end locks, not just this one, will last quite a bit longer.

You make another good point about keeping locks as short as possible and another reason why the 29 inches is about right. You don't want any slack at all if you can avoid it.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I've had a number of bikes stolen over the years. One from my bike rack which can be cut through with a small hack saw. Anything is only as strong as it's weakest point.
I thought the same, so fed a large chain through the chasis of the MH, and ran it up to the bike rack. The bikes were then chained to this chain. In simple terms, thieves would have to cut through the actual chassis of the MH to get the bikes.
I've also got a Growler alarm now, and if the external loop is cut then the alarm is set off.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I thought the same, so fed a large chain through the chasis of the MH, and ran it up to the bike rack. The bikes were then chained to this chain. In simple terms, thieves would have to cut through the actual chassis of the MH to get the bikes.
I've also got a Growler alarm now, and if the external loop is cut then the alarm is set off.

That's fine when they're on the back of the MH or in the garage at home but are you going to carry your large chain on a 50 mile ride so you can use it when you stop for a cup of tea half way round?

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588

For those without a Growler you can run your hook up cable through the bike frames when on sites, when anyone unhooks cable fridge / hook up alarm goes off.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No alarm goes off when my hook up cable is unplugged :confused:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
That's fine when they're on the back of the MH or in the garage at home but are you going to carry your large chain on a 50 mile ride so you can use it when you stop for a cup of tea half way round?
We do actually - and they're pretty bulky and heavy
We also have D locks on each bike which enable us to lock the bikes to each other - however our insurance insists that the bikes are chained to an immovable object, which is why we take the chain too.
The new lightweight chains I've ordered are going to make life much easier

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We do actually - and they're pretty bulky and heavy
We also have D locks on each bike which enable us to lock the bikes to each other - however our insurance insists that the bikes are chained to an immovable object, which is why we take the chain too.
The new lightweight chains I've ordered are going to make life much easier

Rather you than me. I hope you make Mrs C carry it :D(y)

I carry as little as possible. I won't use D locks because any worth having are too heavy. These new ones when they arrive are going to be ideal.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
That's what the Sold Secure Gold standard is all about. It's not just some random sticker they've found, that certification is pretty comprehensive. The sort of info you're talking about is obviously highly commercially sensitive so there's no way anyone in their right mind would make it publicly available and is the reason why they go to the trouble of obtaining industry standard certification.

The marketing video showing the "attacks" on the strap is nothing more than that. They aren't real tests.

As for the price, as I said in my last post it's priced right at the bottom end of it's target market. Most of it's competitors are well over double the price.
Nothing that a potable grinder with a cutting disk couldn't sort out;)(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
But still far more than one short one which is all you will need 99% of the time.

Thinking about it some more I think that even if they produce longer lengths I won't buy them. I've got two short ones on order, if they're good I'll probably buy two more and be set for pretty much any situation. Three of them will stay at home unless I know for certain I will need them.
You must have money to burn! :D In your position I'd rather have one short one and one extra long one, than 4 short ones ... you say having to carry less weight is important to you ... but you're prepared to carry 4 (ie 4kg) instead of possibly just 2 at around 2.5kg!!!! :rolleyes:

I get the point, you're happy with the short ones, personally I can see some of your reasons but others just don't make sense to me, but you do as you see fit for your needs however please don't keep telling us that a short length is all that is needed - we'd struggle to secure our electric bikes even singly with one due to the fatter frame and I object to shelling out double for a few extra inches!o_O

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Nothing that a potable grinder with a cutting disk couldn't sort out;)(y)
I suggest you go to their website and watch the portable grinder bit !

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You must have money to burn! :D In your position I'd rather have one short one and one extra long one, than 4 short ones ... you say having to carry less weight is important to you ... but you're prepared to carry 4 (ie 4kg) instead of possibly just 2 at around 2.5kg!!!! :rolleyes:

I get the point, you're happy with the short ones, personally I can see some of your reasons but others just don't make sense to me, but you do as you see fit for your needs however please don't keep telling us that a short length is all that is needed - we'd struggle to secure our electric bikes even singly with one due to the fatter frame and I object to shelling out double for a few extra inches!o_O

No, I'm prepared to carry one short one unless I know, without any doubt at all, that I will need any more. One weighs around 1kg which I'd live with.

Anything more than that, carried around on the off chance, is just adding weight back to the bike that I've paid quite a bit to get rid of. That makes no sense to me. Carrying one long one and having a load of slack to deal with also makes no sense.

If you're riding something as heavy as an electric bike then saving the weight is pretty pointless so I would probably recommend a different lock to this one anyway. It really is aimed at people for who the weight is an issue. If you need something that much longer than standard then something like this would probably be more suitable for you.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If a thief is going equipped with an angle grinder he or she is going to be of the determined variety. These bottom wipes will have yer bike unless a hungry Rottweiler is tied to it.

D locks are all well and good but heavy and clumsy and likely to scratch or chip the cycle of perhaps the motor home even when care is taken. It's the nature of the beast..

The new lock answers all the questions as far as I can see. All they have to do is make a variety of lengths and they will sell well !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No, I'm prepared to carry one short one unless I know, without any doubt at all, that I will need any more. One weighs around 1kg which I'd live with.

Anything more than that, carried around on the off chance, is just adding weight back to the bike that I've paid quite a bit to get rid of. That makes no sense to me. Carrying one long one and having a load of slack to deal with also makes no sense.

If you're riding something as heavy as an electric bike then saving the weight is pretty pointless so I would probably recommend a different lock to this one anyway. It really is aimed at people for who the weight is an issue. If you need something that much longer than standard then something like this would probably be more suitable for you.
But the 'don't want slack' issue is a nonsense argument IMV, as has already been mentioned you can easily wrap the strap round the bike frame to get it nice and tight if it's too long, but you can't make a single shorter one any longer on it's own ... the extra few grams that this would add would be much better than having to constantly carry 2 for a few extra inches surely. If a few grams make so much difference to you then maybe you shouldn't stop for the cup of tea in the first place which will add at least 400g to your weight! :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But the 'don't want slack' issue is a nonsense argument IMV, as has already been mentioned you can easily wrap the strap round the bike frame to get it nice and tight if it's too long, but you can't make a single shorter one any longer on it's own ... the extra few grams that this would add would be much better than having to constantly carry 2 for a few extra inches surely. If a few grams make so much difference to you then maybe you shouldn't stop for the cup of tea in the first place which will add at least 400g to your weight! :rolleyes:

The slack issue isn't a nonsense argument. It's a proven issue and I've already said more than once I have no intention of constantly carrying two. I will carry one unless I know for certain I will need more.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My only concern is that although they've tested the strap itself they haven't seen how easy it is to smash the coupler, or drill out the pin and whether that would allow the bike to be released ... for the price I'd like to have FULL info on testing on every part of the design.

Why do they only do one size? They aren't that long at only 29 inches - look how tight up to the lampost the bike in the picture is and also 'stored' on the bike's frame - if you're trying to secure a bike with a larger frame or to an object/railings where you can't get the bike so close then you could find you have a lock that you can't use at all. They suggest if you need a longer one you buy two ... this is far from ideal - if they make different lengths and sell them at sensible prices, eg £75 for the small one shown at 29", then say £85 for 40", £95 for 50" etc, then that would make more sense but having to buy 2 is IMV very silly - whilst people will spend a fair bit on a good lock, to have to spend another £75 just because you need it a bit longer is not really on and will probably cost them sales - I for one would be interested in getting one which is longer as we always lock our bikes together to an object it so as it stands one wouldn't be long enough and I wouldn't pay £150 for 2 of them.

I've just emailed them asking them about doing longer lengths and explaining why, so I'll let you know if I get a response.

Yes but at twice the cost ...

Not but charging a bit more for a longer strap would be okay.

The problem is that if they DON'T offer it now people who need a longer one but are not prepared to just buy two for an extra few inches (steady you smutty lot ...:X3: ) will probably just not bother waiting and buy something else instead that IS long enough and then not want to pay again when/if they DO bring out a longer one, so lost customers.

... and that is the flaw in their marketing ... why would I pay for two when I only need one that is slightly longer? If they don't do different lengths they will LOSE custom, either because people will only buy one and then use it with a 'normal weight' one, or not bother at all.

So in a nutshell then Mel, you don't think 1 would be long enough, and 2 would be too dear.:wink:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
The multi quote button works!!::bigsmile: