Customs rules for the EU (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just spotted this on a Facebook site (not sure we are supposed to promote other MotorHome sites so I won't), looks like an own goal to me if true (and have no doubt it is) so if your taking goods such as Skiis Bikes Kayaks paddleboards etc etc

Goods covered by an ATA Carnet
Countries that accept an ATA Carnet

Jim quick question would it be worth having a guide to europe/foriegn travel guidance section for members ? sign posting to stuff such as Critair stickers, guidance to food you can take and these Carnet's. Sign posting so that people can make thier minds up about what they want to do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen this on Simon Calder travel web site, has anyone heard about it.
Question of the week: Customs rules for the EU?

Question: On arrival by ferry at Santander from Portsmouth, my van was checked over by customs officer and I was charged over €400 in duty for three used electric bikes that I planned to bring back after a two-week visit. The staff muttered something about “carnets”. Was I correctly fined?

Answer: That wasn't a fine – it was precisely the customs arrangement that UK ministers negotiated in the Brexit deal. Anyone taking goods in excess of €430 (£363) or more from Great Britain (but not from Northern Ireland) to the EU is required to declare them and, if necessary, pay the required tariffs. For the avoidance of doubt this is not a new European Union rule; it is simply imposing the customs regulations that the UK helped to draft while a member of the EU.

As the border officials indicated, you could have avoided the duty by paying for a customs carnet – a document listing temporary imports (including serial numbers) that is checked against the contents of your van on the way in and on the way out of the EU.
Unfortunately it is an expensive and cumbersome solution.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just spotted this on a Facebook site (not sure we are supposed to promote other MotorHome sites so I won't), looks like an own goal to me if true (and have no doubt it is) so if your taking goods such as Skiis Bikes Kayaks paddleboards etc etc

Facebook is way behind us, we put that to bed yesterday :D

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Goods covered by an ATA Carnet
Countries that accept an ATA Carnet

Jim quick question would it be worth having a guide to europe/foriegn travel guidance section for members ? sign posting to stuff such as Critair stickers, guidance to food you can take and these Carnet's. Sign posting so that people can make thier minds up about what they want to do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen this on Simon Calder travel web site, has anyone heard about it.
Question of the week: Customs rules for the EU?

Question: On arrival by ferry at Santander from Portsmouth, my van was checked over by customs officer and I was charged over €400 in duty for three used electric bikes that I planned to bring back after a two-week visit. The staff muttered something about “carnets”. Was I correctly fined?

Answer: That wasn't a fine – it was precisely the customs arrangement that UK ministers negotiated in the Brexit deal. Anyone taking goods in excess of €430 (£363) or more from Great Britain (but not from Northern Ireland) to the EU is required to declare them and, if necessary, pay the required tariffs. For the avoidance of doubt this is not a new European Union rule; it is simply imposing the customs regulations that the UK helped to draft while a member of the EU.

As the border officials indicated, you could have avoided the duty by paying for a customs carnet – a document listing temporary imports (including serial numbers) that is checked against the contents of your van on the way in and on the way out of the EU. Unfortunately it is an expensive and cumbersome solution.
I don’t understand why they were charged for used bikes they were going to bring back with them.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I don’t understand why they were charged for used bikes they were going to bring back with them.
Because they might not have brought them back with them. They might have sold them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
My new Avtex telly and sound box is worth more that. Does that mean any of us in a similar situation could be caught up in this?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There is so little info in the FB report etc that we cannot possibly know WHY the carnet was actually needed. I suspect the chap was part of a business hiring/renting bikes out, or going for a business trip/competition etc so fell under the 'business' rules, hence the need for a carnet or the no-fee but more hassle non-carnet route, neither of which he did.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Carnet:

Surely this requirement is for business not for holidays?
Quote from Gov.uk.site in link :
If you’re taking goods to another country temporarily for business reasons and you think you’ll be over the duty free limit, you can usually get an ATA Carnet to avoid paying duty. This includes things like:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Surely this requirement is for business not for holidays?
Quote from Gov.uk.site in link :
If you’re taking goods to another country temporarily for business reasons and you think you’ll be over the duty free limit, you can usually get an ATA Carnet to avoid paying duty. This includes things like:
I don't do "Faceache" so just taking what was posted above "The staff muttered something about “carnets”" and no doubt the staff read what I/you read. I think for the next 3/5 years it is all going to be a minefield........

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't do "Faceache" so just taking what was posted above "The staff muttered something about “carnets”" and no doubt the staff read what I/you read. I think for the next 3/5 years it is all going to be a minefield........
Why? Goods for businesses purposes are completely different to those being used by people who are just going on holiday.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Why? Goods for businesses purposes are completely different to those being used by people who are just going on holiday.
I have no idea, but as I said they read the rules and apply them as they understand them or not as may be the case! and as I also said it will be like this for many years to come.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back