Customs regs when taking a m/cycle temporarily to E.U. by trailer or in a m/h. (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I haven't managed to get official info on this but it has been under discussion on my m/bike club website.
It would seem that Customs Form CERFA15678-01 is required:

This is the brief info that have.......

CERFA15678-01.JPG

Has anyone more definitive info?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Can’t open it buddy,can you take a pic of the story and put that on?
The link opens for me and (I hope) I've now posted a larger pdf of the article/story. I'll see if I can do a link to it but it's on my m/bike (subscribers only) website.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I am of the opinion that that is a customs declaration more for people bringing in goods or samples for a short term.I say this as they are asking for values etc,have never completed one of those forms.Imported several motorcycles here.Paper work always done locally,of course could be a Brexit thing but recently brought in the U.K. trike and nothing like that.
Are they possibly getting confused with the Declaration of honour which is a form to declare you have not or been near anyone with Covid.
If I can help any further just ask.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Not an expert by any means but.........Is this not for periods in excess of six months but less than two years but for specific purposes eg students, temporary work, shows etc ? Don’t think it’s for a few weeks holiday but happy to be corrected.

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
So why not take it out of the van, ride it through, let the wife drive the van, on the other side put it back in the van, problem solved.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I recall reading some other thread on this forum about this In the last few months. I seem to recall there were some issues since Brexit about bringing motor vehicles in as opposed to driving/riding them in. I think there was mention of a significant cost to it all as well. A search may find it.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I am of the opinion that that is a customs declaration more for people bringing in goods or samples for a short term.I say this as they are asking for values etc,have never completed one of those forms.Imported several motorcycles here.Paper work always done locally,of course could be a Brexit thing but recently brought in the U.K. trike and nothing like that.
Yes, it has changed because we are no longer in the E.U.
I was an export manager before we joined the Common Market/ E.U. and had to carry a Customs carnet showing the serial numbers etc. for all samples (professional audio equipment) getting them stamped by French customs when entering France and shown and stamped again by French customs when returning to prove that I hadn't sold them over there.
In fact I did sell some and since we were the manufacturers I took duplicate serial number stickers with me which I applied to any old and knackered bit of kit when returning as the customs staff couldn't tell an amplifier from a toaster (and I don't suppose they cared as long as the descriptions and serial numbers matched up).
Are they possibly getting confused with the Declaration of honour which is a form to declare you have not or been near anyone with Covid.
If I can help any further just ask.
No, no, not at all.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We have spent the last 4 months in France, towing our trike on a trailer. All that is needed is v5c, insurance and green card, not asked for anything else

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
We have soent the last 4 months in France, towing our trike on a trailer. All that is needed is v5c, insurance and green card, not asked for anything else
That's good. I'm sure that the French authorities; Customs, gendarmes etc. have plenty of other things to do like stopping (or not) m/h's with 'A' frame cars but I pose the question because in spite of considerable searching on t'internet I've been unable to find official guidance. Plenty about permanently 'exporting' one's own or someone else's vehicle to France by trailer or van and sending stuff by shipping agents etc. but nothing specifically relevant to us as non-commercial and up to 90 days tourists and next year I expect to be trailering motorbikes to attend events abroad as I've done for the past maybe 30 years.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
That's good. I'm sure that the French authorities; Customs, gendarmes etc. have plenty of other things to do but I pose the question because in spite of considerable searching on t'internet I've been unable to find official guidance. Plenty about 'exporting' one's own vehicles to France by trailer or van and sending stuff by shipping agents etc. but nothing specifically relevant to us as up to 90 days tourists.
Exactly, but as not importing, insurance green card is all that is required as far as I am concerned. Our insurance would only cover 90 days, so if used after that, it was 3rd party only

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
had to carry a Customs carnet showing the serial numbers etc. for all samples (professional audio equipment) getting them stamped by French customs when entering France and shown and stamped again by French customs when returning to prove that I hadn't sold them over there.
Small world I used to do that with professional audio equipment as well.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Exactly, but as not importing, insurance green card is all that is required as far as I am concerned.
:unsure: Comfort sent me one FOC but as far as I'm concerned a green card is no longer required and I see from a search that it was also mentioned here......

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
:unsure: Comfort sent me one FOC but as far as I'm concerned a green card is no longer required and I see from a search that it was also mentioned here......

Correct,no more green cards which incidentally over here are now all white!
Just cut off the little square and stick it in the windscreen,Portugal the same so must be euro wide.

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Just got back from 9 week trip, took scooter in garage. No checks outgoing through tunnel. Did 2000 miles riding around France, Spain and Italy with not even a sideways glance. Whizzed and filtered past Police from all countries with no problem, with GB sticker only.

French checked motorhome briefly on return at eurotunnel Calais. No questions over scooter, no document checks. Only took V5c, insurance and green card.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back