Customer Service - heroes or Zeroes? (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2017
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail RV
Exp
Heroes to Zeroes?

A cautionary tale. My thule step developed a fault earlier this year and wouldn't retract. I checked fuses and relays etc to no avail. So was either the motor, switch or em50. I couldn't get to the motor/ switch so I emailed Sargent with the symptoms, they replied saying that it sounded like the em50 on board fuses. Repair was 60 quid, wait time 3 to 6 weeks. So I bought a new one, 130 quid. Tried it, and it made no difference. Oh well put the original unit back in and book the moho in for repair, local place cleaned the microswitch and that fixed the problem. So I emailed sargent and asked them if they would take the new unit back, to my surprise they agreed – what fantastic customer service! Heroes!

So a few weeks went by, and this week I got a call from them. They couldn't offer me a full refund as the returned unit was so badly scratched it was unusable – they would only refund me 25%. Well that's funny as it was in my van for just a few days, and it was returned in it's original packaging. A bit of an insult, so I asked them to return it to me. We will have to charge you £8.20 postage she says, I say here's my card number. I need to speak to my manager she says. After quite a few minutes on hold she told me that they wouldn't charge me to return the item. Ok thanks says I. A few minutes later she rang me back to say that they couldn't return my unit as the techies had cannibalised it for spares (or some such purpose) so they would refund me the whole amount.

This has left a very bad taste in my mouth – are they heroes, as I got my money back when I wasn't really entitled to it, or zeroes as they appeared to change their minds and only offer me a quarter of it's value?

Oh and the caution – always take photos of goods you are returning.....

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Heroes to Zeroes?

A cautionary tale. My thule step developed a fault earlier this year and wouldn't retract. I checked fuses and relays etc to no avail. So was either the motor, switch or em50. I couldn't get to the motor/ switch so I emailed Sargent with the symptoms, they replied saying that it sounded like the em50 on board fuses. Repair was 60 quid, wait time 3 to 6 weeks. So I bought a new one, 130 quid. Tried it, and it made no difference. Oh well put the original unit back in and book the moho in for repair, local place cleaned the microswitch and that fixed the problem. So I emailed sargent and asked them if they would take the new unit back, to my surprise they agreed – what fantastic customer service! Heroes!

So a few weeks went by, and this week I got a call from them. They couldn't offer me a full refund as the returned unit was so badly scratched it was unusable – they would only refund me 25%. Well that's funny as it was in my van for just a few days, and it was returned in it's original packaging. A bit of an insult, so I asked them to return it to me. We will have to charge you £8.20 postage she says, I say here's my card number. I need to speak to my manager she says. After quite a few minutes on hold she told me that they wouldn't charge me to return the item. Ok thanks says I. A few minutes later she rang me back to say that they couldn't return my unit as the techies had cannibalised it for spares (or some such purpose) so they would refund me the whole amount.

This has left a very bad taste in my mouth – are they heroes, as I got my money back when I wasn't really entitled to it, or zeroes as they appeared to change their minds and only offer me a quarter of it's value?

Oh and the caution – always take photos of goods you are returning.....
To be fair to Sargent, I have had nowt but really good service from them, and although no big fan of their kit ( overly complex for what it does, caused by adding to existing product rather than going back to the drawing board when something new or different is needed ) I have always found their tech dept. very very helpful..
Just saying sometimes there are two sides to things, and maybe it had something to do with staff shortages due to the CV fiasco :)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Is it possible that the unit they say was scratched and cannibalised was mistaken identity?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Old-Git
Apr 30, 2017
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail RV
Exp
Ta for the replies. Yes there could have been a mix up. And their first offer to accept a return (when they really didn't have to) shows what really good service they can / could offer. It's just the other bit....:unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back